Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2007, 12:58 AM

Default Re: \"The Prestige\" wtf? (spoilers)

[ QUOTE ]
What? As said in this thread, I thought it was pretty clear that an Angier clone was dying in the tank every performance

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, LOL WTF at those saying 'didn't like Nolan adding the cloning machine,' 'taking movie out of reality' and 'they didn't need to add Tesla.'

Read the book before assuming the director made something up that didn't belong, just because you didn't like it.

And the book is one of the best novels of the past decade, winning multiple major awards, including the James Tait Black fiction prize, also won by Lessing, Amis, Rushdie, McCarthy and McEwan in recent years.
Old 10-16-2007, 01:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Yeah, LOL WTF at those saying 'didn't like Nolan adding the cloning machine,' 'taking movie out of reality' and 'they didn't need to add Tesla.'

Read the book before assuming the director made something up that didn't belong, just because you didn't like it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, because fidelity to the written word is, in the end, the one true mark of quality.

Is anybody here complaining about the movie not accurately representing the book by adding the cloning machine? As far as I can tell, people are complaining about the cloning machine as a copout in the story, and not talking about film vs. the [censored] book at all.
Old 10-16-2007, 01:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Is anybody here complaining about the movie

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, that's why I mentioned it. DUCY?

[ QUOTE ]
taking it out of the realm of reality betrays the feel of the entire movie ...it cheapens it to the point where the movie is worthless in my opinion. ...
christopher nolan is obviously a talented guy, and i don't want to come off a some nerd who thinks he know more about this guy's own movie (a little late maybe) but i really don't understand his choice to do that.

[/ QUOTE ]

FMP. And LOL at your stupid strawman.
Old 10-16-2007, 01:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Is anybody here complaining about the movie

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, that's why I mentioned it. DUCY?

[/ QUOTE ]

Given that my entire sentence was
[ QUOTE ]
Is anybody here complaining about the movie not accurately representing the book by adding the cloning machine?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't find your argument very compelling.

It's awesome that you have discovered how to use the Internet to look up useful information, like what kind of sweet literary prizes a book has won, and offer that in lieu of any kind of thoughtful analysis. (For obviously critical acclaim precludes one from having any sort of actual opinion about something, am I right?) Coupled with your witty use of acronyms and such internet watchwords as strawman, this indicates a probing wit and profound erudition!

Once upon a time you knew how to mine the depths of the internet for even greater cleverness to pass off as your own, but sadly you didn't seem able to come up with any suitable preformed opinions for you here, and so could not oblige us. A pity, for I was so looking forward to what you had to repeat for us! I'm assuming this is just because there weren't any such opinions ready to hand. But I am also considering the possibility that it is an intellectual enfeeblement that is merely part of an overall regression back to the sour, dank [censored] of the whore from whence you sprang, you [censored] assbag halfwit.
Old 10-16-2007, 01:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Peachy a closet Tesla fan??? Didn't see that one coming.

[/ QUOTE ]

Old 10-16-2007, 01:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It's awesome that you have discovered how to use the Internet to look up useful information, like what kind of sweet literary prizes a book has won, and offer that in lieu of any kind of thoughtful analysis. (For obviously critical acclaim precludes one from having any sort of actual opinion about something, am I right?) Coupled with your witty use of acronyms and such internet watchwords as strawman, this indicates a probing wit and profound erudition!

Once upon a time you knew how to mine the depths of the internet for even greater cleverness to pass off as your own, but sadly you didn't seem able to come up with any suitable preformed opinions for you here, and so could not oblige us. A pity, for I was so looking forward to what you had to repeat for us! I'm assuming this is just because there weren't any such opinions ready to hand. But I am also considering the possibility that it is an intellectual enfeeblement that is merely part of an overall regression back to the sour, dank [censored] of the whore from whence you sprang, you [censored] assbag halfwit.

[/ QUOTE ]

New dictionary?
Old 10-16-2007, 01:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]

The entire movie is about deception and misdirection in the service of performing illusions that look as if they are magical. In no way has the rest of the movie set this up as a reality where real magic actually takes place. (If a movie does this, then of course all bets are off, as long as it feels consistent with the rest of the film. This movie doesn't.) In this light, you really don't think that's a huge cheat if the only explanation is "yep, there's magic. Bet you didn't see THAT one coming?" Or, if that is an acceptable solution, why isn't it an acceptable solution in other movies? Most heist/escape movies would suck if the heroes could, say, just unexplainedly walk through walls.

[/ QUOTE ]
I completely see what you're saying, and I don't think it's unreasonable. I guess on one hand, there's your point of view which means there is something left for me to figure out. On the other hand, there's the point of view I've outlined, which wraps it all up nicely. I'm takin' the easy way out. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-16-2007, 01:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]

New dictionary?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I just learned the word assbag.
Old 10-17-2007, 01:08 PM

so, two things

one, is GoT coming back to enlighten us all?

two, wow sick sick burn gump
Old 10-17-2007, 01:14 PM

My gf said it was an awesome movie, I ended up thinking it was all right. With her help I got the whole idea behind it, otherwise I would have been somewhat lost. I'm pretty slow when it comes to movie plots, not much experience here.