Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2007, 06:33 PM

Default Re: Have you had your wisdom teeth out yet?

I had mine out when I was 32. I spent years 19-32 of my life dreading going to the dentist because he would tell me I needed my wisdom teeth out and the older I got, the more of an a-hole the dude would be about it so the more I dreaded hearing about it.

Then finally I found an oral surgeon I liked, and since I delivered his child I knew he would shoot straight with me. Obviously he told me I should have had them out years ago and that I was an idiot for waiting so long because now the overcrowding of my teeth was causing serious problems with my gums.

I went in on a Friday and he gave me some IV propofol. I slept and he yanked out all 4. I woke up, wrote "thank you" on a dry-erase board, filled my prescription for Vicodin and went straight from the dental clinic to Vegas with some friends. I poored Heinekens and Vicodin down my throat for 72 hours and didn't eat, chew on, or suck on anything because I didn't want to get the dreaded "dry sockets" everybody always talked about. It was a great weekend.

Days 4-7 sober at worked sucked. My mouth ached. On day 8 I went back to Vegas only this time I ate.

Overall I would rate the whole experience about a 3 on a 1-10 scale of suckiness. It was worse than a standard drunken trip to the emergency room but way better than a standard drunken trip to jail.

Irieguy
Old 10-26-2007, 06:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't have any because I'm genetically advanced.

Suck it, suckas!

[/ QUOTE ]

me too [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-26-2007, 06:54 PM

41. Still have them.
Old 10-26-2007, 07:07 PM

Got em out a couple of months ago. Annoying as hell. No pain because my dentist was extremely thorough in not doing anything until I couldn't feel a thing, so my mouth was completely numb.

Pain-wise it's not that bad. But cleaning out the food that gets stuck in the holes is the most annoying thing in the world. My friend had his sockets sewn up though, so I guess that type of thing varies dentist to dentist. Mine didn't so I had to clean out my sockets for like three weeks every time I ate.
Old 10-27-2007, 05:33 PM

I had mine out in college.
gas...count back from 10...I remember 9.
Staggered to the car afterward, slept that nite.
Had basketball practice the next day, plyed, no problems.
People who take 2-3 days to recover are wusses.
Old 10-27-2007, 05:42 PM

I've never had mine out, and I am 28. One of my wisdom teeth came in fine when I was 17. The other three are impacted, and dentists have told me a couple times I should get them taken out, but I've never had any sort of problems with them, so I am in no hurry.
Old 10-27-2007, 06:02 PM

I got mine out at 17. Dentist damaged a nerve while doing so and now I have a very tiny spot on my jaw that has no feeling.
Old 10-27-2007, 06:03 PM

I had the perfect scenario when I got mine out last year. Right around the same time, I had a couple friends get theirs out and they were both put under. They said they both felt like crap for a week after and couldn't eat normal foor for 2 weeks. They also said the pain was so bad afterwards.

I told my dentist I wanted him to pull mine. I think he thought I was a little crazy, because he wasn't an oral surgeon and usually just referred his clients to one. He finally agreed, shot me up with novocaine (the worst part), and pulled them out.

They bled a little, but I never had any pain. They were a little tender for a day or two, but to show you how little pain I was in, I was eating potato chips 2 hours after I had them pulled.

I went out drinking that night and my friends couldn't believe that I was fine.
Old 10-27-2007, 06:25 PM

4 months ago. The aftermath sucked some I guess, but it was fine.

All 4 of mine were impacted, so there was no "pulling" option. They put me to sleep, so the surgery was painless. Little pain afterwards, but I did take painkillers. I threw up a couple times in the next few days, and I could only eat milkshakes and jello for half a day, but after that it was completely bearable.

Having the stitches in my mouth sucked. And the dentist missed one when he took them out, so I was stuck with this solitary stitch in the back of my mouth for a month. It was a little annoying.
Old 10-27-2007, 06:33 PM

I know one person who suffered brain damage when the dentist messed up the anesthetic durring the wisdom teeth opperation.

I had mine out, and was basically incapicated for a week (from pain meds). To this day (10 years latter), I sometimes manage to jab nuts into my gums where my wisdom teeth were (kind of annoying, but nothing serious).

I recomend you keep them unless they are giving you problems.