Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Ohio St 11-0
1 38 90.48%
2 2 4.76%
3 0 0%
4 0 0%
5 0 0%
6 0 0%
7 0 0%
8 0 0%
9 0 0%
10 2 4.76%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-06-2007, 02:15 AM

Default Re: High Stakes Poker thread (11/5 - 500k buyin - Spoilers expected)

Antonio calling out cards is so sick scary.
Patrik is a nit obv (jokes), I hope he stacks gold next ep.
<3 Degenyamine
Old 11-06-2007, 02:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
And yes, he did read jamie correct for having a big hand, but to rule out the possibility that Jamie would play a set or two-pair, or whatever-strength hand he happens to have in this way, is wrong. I might be missing something, but why should their stack-sizes totally change the value of the situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

First look at two absurd cases where they have the same amount of money. The pot is some constant $40 000.

If they have $10 000 its an easy call for Doyle because Gold will move in with many hands, plus the pot means he only has to be right 1 time in 4 to make the call correct.

If they have $1 000 000 000 then Doyle probably wants to fold because the size of the pot is irrelevant. He basically needs to be better then Gold half the time.

So, the larger the stack sizes the more often you have to be right in making the call.

People keep saying how Gold bluffs a lot, blah blah, but don't forget he's not a complete retard. He knows how to play poker. If his money gets all in in this hand, there's a good chance he's got the best hand. In all honesty if Doyle had moved all in over the top of him I don't think Gold would have called. He definitely wouldn't call with smaller flushes(Edit: ie. 7 high flush or lower). This is precisely why Doyle couldn't really move all in, because he's only getting called by hands that crush him.

On the river Gold is actually liable to play it pretty well with a decent mix of bluffs and value bets with a good hand. If Doyle calls the turn he's put himself in a tough spot on the river when Gold bets it. If Gold checks the river Doyle can't really extract value because if he bets the river Gold is probably only calling with hands that beat Doyle and folding the rest. In fact given Doyle's hand (10 8) there's really only one flush (9 high) that he's ahead of and that might pay him off.
Old 11-06-2007, 02:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think Gold would have called.

[/ QUOTE ]

there is no way gold folds the flush there
Old 11-06-2007, 02:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think Gold would have called.

[/ QUOTE ]

there is no way gold folds the flush there

[/ QUOTE ]

I think its debatable but you're probably right. I think he folds lower flushes though and the fact that he was acting strong makes the smaller flushes less likely.
Old 11-06-2007, 02:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Those approving the fold seem to be arguing that his fold has more merit because of how deep they are playing...but against jamie gold, who's spew-happy and probably not going to radically adjust his game because of its depth, it's seems kind of mandatory to call two more bets.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is absolutely correct.

[ QUOTE ]
And yes, he did read jamie correct for having a big hand, but to rule out the possibility that Jamie would play a set or two-pair, or whatever-strength hand he happens to have in this way, is wrong. I might be missing something, but why should their stack-sizes totally change the value of the situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Finally, someone talking some sense. Shaniac, maybe they'll listen to you more than me. I hope so. I agree 100% and I also completely support Kaplan in his analysis that Jamie's money should have all gone bye-bye in this hand.
Old 11-06-2007, 02:40 AM

all arguments aside, man it would've been sweet if Doyle stacked Jamie in a $1 mill pot there.
Old 11-06-2007, 02:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In fact given Doyle's hand (10 8) there's really only one flush (9 high) that he's ahead of and that might pay him off.

[/ QUOTE ]

Am I missing something, or is there some magical invisible border that cuts between 9 high flushes and 8 high flushes? It's one notch. If I'm jamming the pot with 97s, I'm doing it with 87s too. Probably 76s and 65s while I'm at it.
Old 11-06-2007, 02:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
all arguments aside, man it would've been sweet if Doyle stacked Jamie in a $1 mill pot there

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. Let's not forget that.
Old 11-06-2007, 02:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
No.

[/ QUOTE ]

By "no," I assume you mean "yes," especially since the hole card cameras showed us Doyle folding the 3rd nuts.

When I have the 3rd nuts against a crazy man, and I feel he has a good hand, this makes me happy. I know he will stack off when I shove.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is actually why I don't like to play super deep stacked against a maniac like gold. I can make some bad decisions against a maniac. Whereas playing 100BB deep i'm gonna make better decisions.

Of course the converse is when the maniac goes broke to you when you have the nuts super deep stacked. But it's just hard to get the nuts.
Old 11-06-2007, 02:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
In fact given Doyle's hand (10 8) there's really only one flush (9 high) that he's ahead of and that might pay him off.

[/ QUOTE ]

Am I missing something, or is there some magical invisible border that cuts between 9 high flushes and 8 high flushes? It's one notch. If I'm jamming the pot with 97s, I'm doing it with 87s too. Probably 76s and 65s while I'm at it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Doyle has the 8 of spades. High limit professional players know that if they hold the 8 of spades, their opponent doesn't have the 8 of spades.

And yes if you're good and playing deep you should be very away of every pip down the ladder you go. Notice how Doyle thought there was a big difference between the Q high flush (the nuts) and the 10 high flush. Once again, Gold is out of his league in these games, but he's not completely retarded. I highly doubt he stacks off here with a 7 high flush.