Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2007, 11:27 AM

Default no-all-in tables: what does that mean?

I am not a newbie to Poker, but I always wondered what "no-all-in" tables on PokerStars mean? Does it mean that you cannot go all-in pre? That apparently is not true, as one can open push for sure.

Any one know?
Old 10-10-2007, 11:35 AM

Default Re: no-all-in tables: what does that mean?

I am guessing it means no all-in disconnection protection.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:36 AM

it means there is no all in protection, so say you bet 5 dollars and its raised around the table and it costs 10 more for you to play and you disconnect. after the additional time given to reconnect or time bank, your hand would be folded instead of considering you all in and creating a side pot. usually when you buy into those tables it will have an explanation for you on the buy in screen.
Old 10-10-2007, 12:41 PM

Heh, I still don't get it...

So if it doesn't have all-in protection, it WILL bet the extra $5 for you of its own accord? How does it decide what's worth playing and what's worth folding?

If it does have all-in protection, does that mean it's okay with betting small amounts for you, but just not going all-in?

Yes I know the websites don't have programs that fill in and play for disconnected players... so what's the point of distinguishing "no all-in" from "all-in"?

I read those table explanations about twenty times and it's too vague to me...
Old 10-10-2007, 12:55 PM

Say you raise 4BB UTG and the CO 3bets making it 12bb to go. The button then cold calls the 12bb, and it folds back around to you. if the table doesn't have all in protection, and you disconnect and you cannot act in time, your 4bb would be added to the pot, and your hand would be mucked. This would happen no matter what cards you have and no matter what street the action is on. if the table has all in protection, a side pot would consist of initial blinds, your 4bb raise, the CO and Buttons 4bb, and you would be considered all in. even if you reconnect while the hand is still being played you would be considered all in even if you still have more money on the table that exceeds the 4bb.

someone correct me if i am wrong, but i believe this is what all in protection means.
Old 10-10-2007, 12:59 PM

That is correct. If you get disconnected your hand would be folded if there is a bet to you.
Old 10-10-2007, 06:49 PM

I thought this was fairly standard? Do you find all-in protection on the high stakes tables?

So if you were on a table that has 'all-in protection' and say for example you raised on the button with KQ, then the SB and BB both go crazy and push all-in...you know your well behind so could you disconnect and get your initial raise back?

Seems like its open to exploitation... ?

.Z
Old 10-10-2007, 06:57 PM

You wouldn't get your initial raise back. It would stay in the pot and a side pot would be created as if you were all in. It is exploitable and that's why poker sites have limits as to how often this can be done.
Old 10-11-2007, 12:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You wouldn't get your initial raise back. It would stay in the pot and a side pot would be created as if you were all in. It is exploitable and that's why poker sites have limits as to how often this can be done.

[/ QUOTE ]

Usually it works in a way like this:

I raise preflop with AK, flop top 2 pr, I bet into you on the flop, you push back. Unscrupulous players have been known to disconnect in this situation, allowing them to get paid off on the money they've bet if the opponent is bluffing, while not losing a stack when villian has a set or a straight draw that hits.

FWIW, this situation got to be pretty bad and happen very often on Party back in the day, but I see it rarely on Stars these days.