Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2006, 12:07 AM

Default $22 Bet river or let him bluff?

PartyPoker Regular Tournament, Big Blind is t (8 handed) Converter on pregopoker.com

UTG (t2520)
UTG+1 (t1560)
MP1 (t1750)
MP2 (t1915)
CO (t4165)
Button (t2910)
SB (t1400)
Hero (t3780)

Preflop: Hero is in BB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
<font color="red">UTG raises to t200</font>, UTG+1 calls t200, <font color="gray">MP1 folds</font>, <font color="gray">MP2 folds</font>, <font color="gray">CO folds</font>, <font color="gray">Button folds</font>, <font color="gray">SB folds</font>, Hero calls t100

Flop: (t500) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (3 players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">UTG bets t100</font>, UTG+1 calls t100, <font color="red">Hero raises to t300</font>, UTG calls t200, UTG+1 calls t200

Turn: (t1400) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (3 players)
<font color="red">Hero bets t800</font>, UTG calls t800, <font color="gray">UTG+1 folds</font>

River: (t3000) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 players)
<font color="red">Hero ?</font>
Old 07-17-2006, 12:12 AM

Default Re: $22 Bet river or let him bluff?

first off, raise more on the flop. maybe somewhere around atleast 500. as played i would have bet more on the turn instead of 1/2 pot and i would push the river.
Old 07-17-2006, 12:16 AM

Make it 500 on the flop so you can shove the turn!

Manipulate the pot size!

So many draws!
Old 07-17-2006, 12:19 AM

Raise more on the flop for sure. Raise to like 450 or 500ish. There's way too many draws out there.

Also, by raising more you can effictively put your opponent all in by the turn.

If you had played the hand more aggresively on flop/turn, you wouldn't be in the quandary you're in at the river. Check/call or bet/call seem like the way to go. It's gonna suck if he pushes, though.
Old 07-17-2006, 12:32 AM

I'll just repeat what everybody else has said. Bet more on the flop. You're barely raising a called min-bet. That limp-wristed c/r is pretty bad.

I don't think it matters too much what you do on the river, as a flush or straight is stacking me either way. I like betting on the off chance that one pair or two pair hands will call but would have checked behind.
Old 07-17-2006, 12:47 AM

why would you think he's bluffing that river?

he's probably gonna post that hand later tonight asking,"how do I extract most chips from sucker who let me draw at a sexy board"...
Old 07-17-2006, 03:46 AM

Jack up the flop dude. If he has A8 then a lot of turn cards kill your action. A 6/7/[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] puts you on the defensive.

As far as the end, definitely check it. If he has a hand that you beat, he's only calling a very, very modest bet (if at all). Sometimes he'll bluff with a crap hand. If he has you beat then he's raising your bet. So basically by checking you sometimes pick off a bluff, and lose less when you're behind.
Old 07-17-2006, 09:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Jack up the flop dude. If he has A8 then a lot of turn cards kill your action. A 6/7/[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] puts you on the defensive.

As far as the end, definitely check it. If he has a hand that you beat, he's only calling a very, very modest bet (if at all). Sometimes he'll bluff with a crap hand. If he has you beat then he's raising your bet. So basically by checking you sometimes pick off a bluff, and lose less when you're behind.

[/ QUOTE ]

no way in hell i put villain on a hand that can beat hero. no way in hell i check this river. Hero underbet flop. Turn was ok in my opinion. I push river .

Think about it like this. Villain is very short by the river. If he has you beat and u check he will get his stack in and u lose another 1200. If he's behind he may check and u gain nothing. Now what if u bet? If you are beat you still lose, but if ur ahead he's giving you the chips because he's committed. So the EV of a push has to be greater.

Indy
Old 07-17-2006, 09:40 AM

1C5,

Flop raise needs to be larger, imo, as does the turn bet (turn bet is closer to be ok though). But that flop raise is just offering up ridiculous odds to anyone w/ a draw.

River could be a thin value bet based on how large the pot is. Obviously I hate the heart falling, but villain only has 1200 left and there is 3k in the pot so you aren't folding top set. Given that the rest is getting in even if he hit a draw on the river, I don't want to give him a chance to check behind with an overpair or other hands you're ahead of.
Old 07-17-2006, 09:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
1C5,

Flop raise needs to be larger, imo, as does the turn bet (turn bet is closer to be ok though). But that flop raise is just offering up ridiculous odds to anyone w/ a draw.

River could be a thin value bet based on how large the pot is. Obviously I hate the heart falling, but villain only has 1200 left and there is 3k in the pot so you aren't folding top set. Given that the rest is getting in even if he hit a draw on the river, I don't want to give him a chance to check behind with an overpair or other hands you're ahead of.

[/ QUOTE ]

agree with wiggs 100%. see my post above. man its a rough life being the only two posters on at this hour of the morning. we really need to kick this 9-5 gig.

Indy