Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2006, 10:21 PM

Default PP $6: Small steal turns into all-in decision.

Should Hero have pushed the turn? Comments about the rest of the hand are welcome, too.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

BB (t3745)
UTG (t2425)
MP (t1210)
CO (t5965)
Hero (t3760)
SB (t2895)

Preflop: Hero is Button with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t600</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls t400.
<font color="blue"> BB is loose. She'll call with lots of hands preflop. I tried to steal because I had a very tight, strong image and this player hadn't messed with any of my other steals. I hadn't yet tried to steal her BB, though.</font>

Flop: (t1300) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t800</font>, BB calls t800.
<font color="blue">I wasn't even going to ask... c-bet standard?</font>
Turn: (t2900) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

BB checks, Hero checks.
<font color="blue">I put villain on a medium strength hand here. I said she was loose preflop but I haven't yet seen what she needs to call a big bet with. Should I have pushed the turn? In hindsight, I think I should have pushed because after I let the hand go there were four other stacks much bigger than mine.</font>

River: (t2900) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks.
<font color="blue">Can't bluff the river after checking the turn.</font>
Final Pot: t2900
Old 07-16-2006, 11:19 PM

Default Re: PP $6: Small steal turns into all-in decision.

Bump. Heading to bed.
Old 07-17-2006, 12:13 AM

Fold PF. Especially since you said BB is loose. Gaining the 300 chips from the blinds isn't that important to you right now.
Old 07-17-2006, 12:14 AM

I would bet a little less on the flop. More like 650-700ish. Turn check is fine.

After the river, I would consider pushing. You're getting great odds on a bluff and obviously cant win the pot by checking. Villain could easily have missed their diamond draw.

That being said, with your read on villain you should definitely fold PF.
Old 07-17-2006, 12:24 AM

*villain folds pf and doesn't run in to this situation*
but since you didnt, im c/f the flop, c/f the turn, c/f the river. this board just looks bad for a cbet IMO.
Old 07-17-2006, 12:26 AM

Fairly easy fold PF based on your read.
Old 07-17-2006, 12:28 AM

I c/f PF with any read; no antes.
Old 07-17-2006, 01:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
<font color="blue"> BB is loose. She'll call with lots of hands preflop. I tried to steal because I had a very tight, strong image and this player hadn't messed with any of my other steals. I hadn't yet tried to steal her BB, though.</font>

[/ QUOTE ]
IMO worrying about table image at low buyins is overthinking. 95%+ of low buyin players don't pay attention to anything but their own cards.
Old 07-17-2006, 02:00 AM

Preflop: You're ignore your reads...Also, at a $6 you don't have a table imagine. Fold.

Flop: I like this bet.

Turn: If the player is as you describe I'd just c/f here. With the J coming you could possibly get them to drop a hand with an 8 or a 6. However, I don't like your chances of getting a flush draw to fold (which I think is a very likely holding).

River: Same thought process as the turn, but now you can get a busted flush draw to fold. So, now I think a bet could be worth it and you'll take this pot down enough to make it profitable. However, there is a chance your Q-high is good, so a check would be fine as well.

As for not betting the river because you didn't bet the turn: again, this is a $6. Even for me at the $55s, my bluffs that don't really make any sense on the river work a lot. These players aren't really thinking too much about what your sequence of betting means. They just know the strength of their hand and act accordingly.
Old 07-17-2006, 02:05 AM

I would just call preflop. BB is loose so you can get a lot of chips if you hit a flop and your raise is unlikely to knock them out. This flop I'd just check and hope it gets checked behind me. Like you said, it's a loose BB who is likely to call with a lot so you don't want to bluff at them.