Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2007, 07:28 PM

Default Re: High Schooler Dresses up as KKK member for Halloween

I live in Cornwall, and this incident received alot of media coverage. There are many better articles than the one linked (from our local newspaper).

Obviously the 3 students that wore these costumes knew that they were controversial, and I'm sure that was their intent... being controversial as opposed to actually promoting racism.

Kids make bad decisions all the time... so be it... That's one method of learning. As adults, it's our job to explain and correct bad behaviour when we see it.

The most disturbing thing about this incident was the total lack of respect shown by school authorities when students came to them and complained.

From this article

[ QUOTE ]
She spoke to the vice-principal who initially told her it was simply a Halloween costume.

"He said I shouldn't take it personally. It's a joke."

[/ QUOTE ]
Seriously, when those in charge are as ignorant as this, what can we expect from those they are teaching.

For those too lazy too read the linked article... here's your cliff notes....

<u>School Policy:</u>
KKK Costume... OK
Playboy Bunny.... BAD
Old 11-09-2007, 07:40 PM

Default Re: High Schooler Dresses up as KKK member for Halloween

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It's not an accident misspelling. It's ignorance.

And yes we bash the US. Why not, it's probably the worst country in the developed world lol.

It is well known that the average American knows very little about things outside the US. This is, of course, the fault of a horrendous school system and a clueless right-wing media. You people spend more time praying than you do learning or thinking.

[/ QUOTE ]
I dont have a problem with Canada, why would I? Every country has its share of dumbasses, and you become one of them when you see someone getting interviewed during Jaywalking (a bit on Jay Leno) and assume that's what the rest of the population is like. Maybe you get a larger dose of it because this is primarily an American forum. My guess is that if I were to wander onto a fairly large Canadian forum I'd find a very considerable % of drooling idiots as well. I can also guess that a citizen from the US not knowing much about what's outside of the US is a characteristic shared by a lot of other people, from a number of different countries.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't watch Leno.

We, in fact, have some of our own television up here in the great white north. And we also happen to have our own programs that make fun of Americans' ignorance.

And about the last part, you are wrong. Children from other countries learn and know plenty about the outside world. This results in a body politic that is knowledgeable when it comes to the world outside their own country. Americans, for the most part, lack this.

And to the guy who said something about the official languages, well...I'm not even going to dignify that comment with a response.