Fold 8 50.00%
Call 1 6.25%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 05:26 AM

Default Re: Ask Degen Anything About Living In Thailand

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Yes the Bush Admin. is BS, but that doesn't mean this basic principles of America are still in place.

[/ QUOTE ]

so you think pumping trillions of tax dollars into a war that no one wants except the administration equates to American principles staying intact?
Old 10-23-2007, 05:27 AM

all,

ofdabeat was banned for threatening a poster, and ur54sold was banned for trolling this thread. both are one day bans. please don't react to trolls in this thread. just notify me when someone like ur54sold is being an ass and i'll give him a break.
Old 10-23-2007, 05:30 AM

so it's okay to call black negros? cooooool
Old 10-23-2007, 06:38 AM

I just posted this in another forum, but figure this and any future info might help this thread as well.

"I currently live in Bangkok and play poker semi-professionally. I came out here almost 4 years ago after finishing college, now own a few businesses here, and play about 3-4 hours a day of mind-numbing 22 dollar SnG's.

Overall, I love it here. I look at my friends in the states and feel bad when I describe my life to them. I have a good group of poker friends out here, some professional, some just do it for the love of the game. Poker is illegal, but I have no problem getting on most poker sites. My connection is great, and I live a pretty sick life for a mere 25k USD a year (and have a great savings plan as well).

The most beautiful beaches are next door, friendly and beautiful smiles everywhere, wonderful food from all parts of the world, western infrastructure and convenience, and very relaxed people.

The good, though, comes with the bad. People are a little too relaxed and things don't get done as quickly/efficiently as one would want. Touristy areas have touts wanting to rip you off (you might pay 80 bucks for something thats worth 50...woohoo), traffic and smog is a bitch, and its a hard culture with which to fully integrate oneself.

For me, the good far outweighs the bad, however, and that's why I'm here. I have a house, a labrador retriever, an awesome girlfriend, and own some self-sustaining businesses that net me more than the average under 30 guy in the west makes. Life is good out here, and I highly recommend you guys to give it a shot while you still can."
Old 10-23-2007, 06:59 AM

Default Post deleted by Mat Sklansky

Old 10-23-2007, 07:38 AM

I don't understand a lot of the posters in this thread. They respond to ur54sold by saying "Let me live my own life. You do what you want to do. I'll do what I want to do. I'm not hurting anyone." Now while the last part may be up for debate, it's a good response. But then you turn around and say "backpackers suck lol what a bunch of jokers." Isn't that a bit hypocritical?

I don't think that the appeal of Thailand is living like a millionaire without being one. Living simply among other people living simply is what I enjoyed. Of course it's nice to do that on a beach too.

[ QUOTE ]
baht is like play money to me. i like being told 500 baht for me, or free or whatever...but i nearly always give them like 3-5k baht if they were nice to me...thats so much money to them and so little to me...i really do look at it like charity. now maybe they can take 2 nights off and go see their family or something.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Ski can provide more accurate information than me, but the bargirls than I hung out with during my week in Bangkok spent more money than me. We went to that nightclub Spicy and they probly dropped like 4-5k baht. I somehow doubt that these girls are whoring their way through university while also sending money back to their parents. And even if they are, I think it's unfortunate that girls who choose not to be bargirls have no realistic shot of making anywhere near the money that bargirls do.
Old 10-23-2007, 07:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
so it's okay to call black negros? cooooool

[/ QUOTE ]

for sure. thai people are 100% without a doubt racist against black people and indians. get to know some locals and non-hookers, its quite an interesting culture [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I met a black guy when I was in Bangkok, and a bargirl told me "I like your friend the chocolate man." Standard?
Old 10-23-2007, 07:44 AM

We're just joking around when we're talking about backpackers but this guy was expressing real hatred for people living in Thailand and making all kinds of ridiculous assumptions. There's a big difference in tone.

edit: yay, 2000 posts
Old 10-23-2007, 07:55 AM

Here's the thing about bargirls: they're like irresponsible poker players. Unless they're really stunning and can get a guy every night, bargirling can be really high variance. When things are running well, they forget about the bad times and spend all their money. They have no concept of financial responsibility--if they saved even 5% of the money they made, they would be set for life. There are no bargirl retirement packages, you either find a foreigner to marry/rip off or you end up a street vendor or rice farmer making $3/day. If you gave a girl $100k, it would be gone within months.

I'm talking here about the career bargirls and not the ones trying to put food on their family's table.
Old 10-23-2007, 01:39 PM

Can someone give me details about the jungle treks and river treks I've heard about. I'm heading to Thailand soon.
Closed Thread