Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2007, 10:15 PM

Default Re: Famous urban legends

[ QUOTE ]
Two of them.

Some guys is looking through the classified for a new car, comes across an ad for a recent Porsche 911 for $50! Now he wasn't looking for a sports car, and he's sure its a typo, but figures what the heck. he calls the number and get a friendly lady on the other end, and she confirms that the car is indeed only $50. Without asking a question he rushed over to her house, give her $50, and they sign a contract. Before the ink is dry, he asks her "You have to know this car is worth more than $50, right?" She says "Oh yeah, I know. My husband ran off to Tahiti with his mistress and sent me a note asking to sell his Porsche and send the money for them to live on." [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

pretty sure this is true. heard about it in law class, and it was one of the few instances (in nj) where the guy was compensated for lawyers fees, in addition to winning the case.
Old 08-18-2007, 09:11 PM

Bump

In Manhattan a high school aged baby sitter is asked to walk the dog when the family goes on vacation. Each day after school she takes the dog out. She arrives one day to find the dog dead. Calls the family and is asked to transport the dead dog to the vet. The only thing available to carry the dog in is a suitcase. She takes the dog filled suitcase and boards the subway for the trip to the vet. Gets chatted up by a guy on the train, guy asks what's in the suitcase, she says, not to create a scene, "computer parts". Reaches her stop, guy disembarks with her. As they are walking up the stairs to street level, guy grabs the suitcase and runs.
Old 08-18-2007, 10:13 PM

The story of a man named John Titor that travelled here from the future and posted on some message board. His story is pretty convincing.

http://www.johntitor.com/
Old 08-18-2007, 11:28 PM

Father goes to visit his daughter at college. Decides to order a prostitute to his hotel room. When the prostitute shows up at his room, it's his daughter.
Old 08-19-2007, 12:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Father goes to visit his daughter at college. Decides to order a prostitute to his hotel room. When the prostitute shows up at his room, it's his daughter.

[/ QUOTE ]

Would be better if he had insisted she get a job to pay for part of her schooling.
Old 08-19-2007, 05:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I read a story on the Internet about a cave, and how these guys expand a small hole, go through the hole, and strange things happen. I don't remember where it is, but I thought it was at least a compelling read, and it was long (by Internet standards).

[/ QUOTE ]

I've read this as well. It was actually a pretty interesting story. Wish I could find it again but the original link is dead now. There is this, which I think the story we've both read is based on. It's a good read.

[/ QUOTE ]

thankfully there are mirrors

http://www.tedthecaver.com/ted/index.htm

i remember reading this years ago as a kid. creeped the hell out of me.
Old 08-19-2007, 09:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
As a kid I was really scared by the typical ones like "some people put razor blades in Halloween candy" and "drug dealers give kids stickers soaked in LSD/PCP/etc. to get them hooked." I realize those actually did probably happen in an isolated instance or two, but we were made to believe they were very widespread phenomena.

[/ QUOTE ]

How the [censored] is a kid gonna know where to go once he's hooked on a drug? For that matter, how does he know he's hooked on a drug?

[/ QUOTE ]

The most obvious reason its a myth is that LSD is not addictive.

My favorite LSD related myth is the one about the kid who has a sheet in his pocket and is outside in the rain and the acid soaks through his pocket and into his leg. He believes he is a cup of orange juice and when you come near him he tells you not to tip him over. In my teenage years I had at least three separate people from different locales tell me that story one swore they were at the party when it happened.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am, oddly enough, an expert on this phenomenon. Our Senior Project in College (Geography Major FTW) was a study of whether the Coriolis Effect had any effect on bathtub, sink, or toilet drains. The answer is no.

The Earth rotates, and as it does so it deflects the movements of objects on it or in its atmosphere. This has a trmendous effect on tides and winds, as the Earth's rotation pushes moving objects in the Northern Hemisphere to the right and in the Southern Hemisphere to the left. This is why tornadoes and hurricanes move counterclockwise in the North and clockwise in the South. This is also why Hurricanes that start in the MidAtlantic always hit the Carribean/US and never Europe.

Toilets, bathtubs, and sinks are all very small. Although, technically, the Coriolis is still a factor; the design of the article is a much, much bigger factor. If you had a bathtub the size of Delaware, however, then the Coriolis Effect would be paramount and the water would always go counterclockwise in the North and clockwise in the South.

Also, I'm a nerd.
Old 08-19-2007, 10:28 AM

I thought the water spun opposite directions due to being located closer to south pole vs north pole. I might be a moron though.
Old 08-19-2007, 12:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"Bloody Mary" - Which probably spawned the CandyMan
movies: Stand in the dark in front of mirror (usually
in the bathroom) and repeat "Bloody Mary" 3 times and
she will appear...to this day I haven't tried it.

-ZEN

[/ QUOTE ]

That you haven't tried it yet makes me laugh.
Old 08-19-2007, 12:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There's a movie about this.