Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2007, 09:30 AM

Default Re: Make Brown Rice Taste Good

[ QUOTE ]
Doesnt adding butter kinda defeat the purpose of brown rice?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's like the discussion in this thread is taking place in a cave.....taking place in a cave.....place in a cave...in a cave...a cave...
Old 07-27-2007, 11:51 AM

Do you use a rice cooker?
Use campbells Chicken broth instead of water to cook.
or lay 3-4 chinese sausages (Wing Wing brand if you can get it) over the top of the rice
in the water before turning it on. The oil in the sausage melts and covers the rice. .. lean sausage, tasty rice.
Old 07-27-2007, 12:13 PM

couple dashes of chipotle sauce
Old 07-27-2007, 12:39 PM

Lots of good suggestions here. Some of the simplest ones are best.

Get a good sized spice rack, one with like 15 or 20 spices. Make it a goal to use each one within, say, a month, at least once. And to not give up if you can't figure out how to use the spice/herb perfectly the very first time. There are online resources that tell you how to use them, too.

And aside from pure flavor, there's always the spicy angle. I like hot sauce on rice a lot.

There was a time when I was almost 100% vegetarian that I made a simple sauce that wasn't ideally healthy, but everything else I did was so healthy I didn't sweat it. I would melt some butter in a small saucepan, being careful not to brown it, and then stir in some soy sauce and lots of black pepper and whatever kind of garlic I had on hand. (Warning against the powder: you have to use a lot to get a strong flavor, and adding that much can get you gassy. Fresh garlic is tastier and less gassy per unit or whatever of flavor.) This is a mix of a lot of strong flavors that you'll have to mix to your taste, but they work really well together. I have also substituted olive oil, to make it healthier. Not quite as flavorful, but still good.

Finally, frying and even caramelizing some onions is well worth it. And having some fresh chopped green onions really picks up the flavor and texture.

I'm also a big fan of what someone else suggested, sesame oil. A little goes a long way, and it is supposed to be extremely good for you.
Old 07-27-2007, 01:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Finally, frying and even caramelizing some onions is well worth it. And having some fresh chopped green onions really picks up the flavor and texture.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah green peppers bell peppers whatever are good too.
Old 07-27-2007, 02:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Mix it with white. Its what I do. Usually 1-1.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you cook two separate batches?

White rice takes twenty minutes to cook whereas brown rice takes forty-five minutes to cook.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've just thrown them both in the rice cooker and let it do its thing. I am quite unsuccessful at cooking rice otherwise. I usually let it sit for a while longer in the "heating" mode than I typically would for just white.
Old 07-27-2007, 02:34 PM

GKA,

I'll likely look into trying some new rices and put that on my list.
Old 07-28-2007, 03:56 PM

My girlfriend makes a sweet rice and bean concoction. Brown rice, black beans, onions, green/red peppers, with a bunch of spices and hot sauces. I love it, but I also really like plain tasting meals.
Old 07-28-2007, 05:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Mix it with white. Its what I do. Usually 1-1.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you cook two separate batches?

White rice takes twenty minutes to cook whereas brown rice takes forty-five minutes to cook.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've just thrown them both in the rice cooker and let it do its thing. I am quite unsuccessful at cooking rice otherwise. I usually let it sit for a while longer in the "heating" mode than I typically would for just white.

[/ QUOTE ]

This works great with frozen veggies too. And the spices will really permeate the rice and flavor it up that way.

Sometimes it's funny though, you really don't want the flavors spread too evenly. You want them to be a sharp contrast to the rice, and the rice to be a kind of offsetting flavor to cool down the pop of flavor from the spices etc. Contrast is good. So then it's good to whip up sauce separately and add it and any spices/herbs after.