Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2007, 02:56 AM

Default Re: Knife VS Bat, who wins?

[ QUOTE ]
Um one arm can block/absorb a full-power bat swing from an MLB player (it may shatter your arm, but you'll be alive) while giving you plenty of time to close the distance and stab the other person in the throat/chest/eyes/face/stomach with the knife.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are we in a fantasy world where getting a body part crushed does not hurt? If your arm is smashed, it would be hard to do anything but scream and run in the opposite direction.

On another note, a much more interesting question would be who would win: (1) two guys with a knife or (2) two guys with a bat (one wood, one aluminum)
Old 07-10-2007, 03:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Um one arm can block/absorb a full-power bat swing from an MLB player (it may shatter your arm, but you'll be alive) while giving you plenty of time to close the distance and stab the other person in the throat/chest/eyes/face/stomach with the knife.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are we in a fantasy world where getting a body part crushed does not hurt? If your arm is smashed, it would be hard to do anything but scream and run in the opposite direction.

On another note, a much more interesting question would be who would win: (1) two guys with a knife or (2) two guys with a bat (one wood, one aluminum)

[/ QUOTE ]

omg! i head is about to explode.
Old 07-10-2007, 03:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I'm not dismissing it. If I were dismissing it, I would be saying the bat, being so much slower than a knife, would be far easier to time, so the guy most likely to get off the first blow is the guy with the knife. And if that's the case, the first blow of the bat, if it comes at all, will be trivial, and the bat guy will be pretty much blown out of the water by either the first knife attack or all the subsequent knife attacks to come.

Guy with the knife IS much more mobile, fast, and deceptive than guy with the bat.

But I'm still assuming the guy with the bat gets off a very solid swing, enough to break an arm, maybe a rib. With the slower weapon, that's a pretty good score. The bat is being given pretty decent credit here.

Don't forget, too, that a knife is also intimidating. Neither party is likely to be feeling perfectly calm or all that great about what they're doing.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a pretty naive post. To say that the person with the knife is MUCH more mobile and fast is wrong. Also, the bat person SHOULD NOT be using baseball type swings, he would be choked up, using vertical 45 degree angle shots that require the person with the knife to block their head. the second swing with the bat is almost immediate in this case, because one can swing from both sides quite easily.

A good vertical hit will not only shatter the forearm of the blocker, it has a good chance of connecting with the head. if you get in a headshot it is close to a lock, because the knifer will be seriously disoriented. if not, the second swing is already coming as the knifer lunges. bat man connects with head on second swing, as blocking forearm is [censored] and knife arm is attempting to stab.

knife stab, even to body, IS NOT GAME OVER FOR THE BAT MAN. people continue to live even with collapsed lungs and blood pouring out of them for quite awhile, especially with adrenaline raging. people survive with like 25 knife wounds often because knife deaths occur from loss of blood, not instantaneous death (unless heart or neck, which are near impossible).

taking stock - once knife has made first lunge, bat has broken knife forearm and also connected with knifer upperbody cleanly - either head and/or neck area. A knife wound has not taken down the bat man, on average, i'd say he is runnin at least 80% of his maximal ability.

the value of the bat is being able to immobilize / disorient your opponent easily. once this happens, headshots become easier and you can pummel someones skull in IMMEDIATELY. by contrast, it is inaccurate to suggest that a single knife stab, which is likely glancing rather than deep and piercing, is going to be instantly fatal. it may not even immobilize the bat man significantly. it should not even be difficult to keep the knife person at bay. if he charges, his momentum connecting with a bat swing will steal tons of the strength he had behind a knife jab. if he doesnt charge, bat man can continually keep the knife person at bay.

people in medieval battles routinely took serious wounds that only became overtly apparent after the fighting, unless it was a major arterie or organ. This is not counterstrike, knifes dont easily SINK into people like jello

Article: discusses fatality rates of knife wounds
http://timlambert.org/1993/10/knives-00000/
One excerpt:

"95% confidence intervals for mortalities calculated from (Annals of Surgery 179 pp 639) are 1%-2% for abdominal stab wounds"

News Story: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19570770/

"Police said the 40-year-old man walked into Delia's Place on Agnes Saturday night with three stab wounds in his chest."

It's not game over with a slash or stab to the tummy folks
Old 07-10-2007, 04:01 AM

I'm taking bat. I'm also not going to stand with my feet planted waiting for the guy with the knife to run at me nor try to backpedal away from an initial blow. I'm gonna move toward the guy with the knife and control how far I am from him instead of him lurking just outside my range and waiting for a spot to jet in. Also, you can get off a swing in under a second and, although a knife is faster, if I hit you then its gonna slow you down enough for me to reload and swing again. You're at least going to be knocked off balance even if you protect yourself with an arm. Once either fighter becomes somewhat immobile the fight is over. Killing the person won't be an issue at this point.

Your untrained fighters aren't going to know how to best deflect a bat blow and aren't going to have good enough balance or grappling skills to get and stay in close. The people who have taken martial arts or even the people who end up in street fights aren't in the norm. Most guys have a few fights as kids or teens and never fight during adulthood. Take 2 random guys and there's no way the guy with the knife can even execute the type of strategy you all are proposing while it is pretty easy for anyone to figure out that its best to swing a bat when they are just inside your range.
Old 07-10-2007, 04:39 AM

the thing that all the pro-knifers seem to be not considering (although I didn't read every post) is that they're just going to charge directly at the bat guy and the bat guy is going to stand there frozen. the bat guy, if he has any sense, is obviously going to put a last-second juke on the charging knife guy, which he should be able to gain a slight advantage from.

also, everybody talking about monster swings or whatever, I think the batter's strategy should be to choke up a few inches for the first swing and try to just put it in play to the the opposite field to land a dizzying/painful blow, then retreat to a safe distance if the knifer recovers. if the knifer is dazed more considerably, then choke down and swing for the fences.
Old 07-10-2007, 05:24 AM

bat, obviously. all of the martial arts dudes are saying knife because they have martial arts experience.
Old 07-10-2007, 06:19 AM

also, average adult has way more NATURAL ability with a bat. most people cut vegetables with knives, men have played baseball and have hit things with sticks their whole lives. just being more familiar around a bat goes a long way to victory
Old 07-10-2007, 11:06 AM

if the bat is such a lethal weapon why do cops carry batons, and greasers carry switchblades? HUH? ANSWER THAT!#$@#$@
Old 07-10-2007, 11:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
if the bat is such a lethal weapon why do cops carry batons, and greasers carry switchblades? HUH? ANSWER THAT!#$@#$@

[/ QUOTE ]

Batons are smaller and lighter then a bat, and it's a lot harder for a greaser to keep a bat in his pocket all day.
Old 07-10-2007, 12:00 PM

I'm not sure if this has been brought up yet, as i'm not going to read through a second page of "I'm right," "No I'm right," but is everybody still assuming the bat-man is going to stand there and let knife-man charge in at him, only allowing the bat-man one swing? Because I feel like the bat-guy would have it alot easier if he went on the offensive. Take less powerful, but faster, swings, and aim it for the knife arm. Maybe throw a quick jab towards the face/chest after each swing to stop him from coming in on you. Keep him moving backwards/side to side, anything but inside towards you.

Do that for long enough, and he'll either eventually drop the knife, be too damaged to continue, or trip and end up fallind down, in which gase game over.

(Anybody who has any idea what they're talking about, is this plausible?)

Edit: ok, disregard basically this whole thing. i just saw like 20 posts were people discuss this idea.