Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2007, 02:16 PM

Default Eat After Aerobic?

I've always wondered, what should you eat after an Aerobic workout?

I know to load up on protein after lifting. And I've read about how to eat before a workout. But I wasn't sure what the eating rules were for after a jog or an HIIT session.
Old 06-27-2007, 03:00 PM

Default Re: Eat After Aerobic?

After a long run or speedwork (harder running days) I usually eat a cup of fat free yogurt (carbs). It digests easily and quickly, it's cool and creamy and seems to make my stomach feel 'normal' again. And hour or two later I will eat some kind protein (grilled chicken, fish) and a salad (no dressing). I find that if I don't have the yogurt, I wind up almost too nauseous to eat the next mini-meal.
Old 06-27-2007, 03:03 PM

what are your goals?
Old 06-27-2007, 03:10 PM

I read somewhere the other day that you shouldn't eat for an hour after doing cardio as your body will continue to burn fat for energy, but that it won't if you eat. Is this true? On the one hand it makes sense, but on the other hand it's not like the energy in food becomes instantly available once you eat it.
Old 06-27-2007, 03:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what are your goals?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm trying to improve my health in general. I've gained weight since graduating, so I started running 3 times a week. My run consist of...

1/4 mile jog
20 40 yard sprints(Sprint forward, walk back to starting place, no rest)
1/4 mile jog

Does this change what you'd recommend?
Old 06-27-2007, 03:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
After a long run or speedwork (harder running days) I usually eat a cup of fat free yogurt (carbs). It digests easily and quickly, it's cool and creamy and seems to make my stomach feel 'normal' again. And hour or two later I will eat some kind protein (grilled chicken, fish) and a salad (no dressing). I find that if I don't have the yogurt, I wind up almost too nauseous to eat the next mini-meal.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you eat the same thing regardless of the type of running you do? thanks for the reply
Old 06-27-2007, 05:05 PM

Well, no...that is not what I said.

I eat a cup of fat free yogurt about 10-15 minutes afterwards, on days when I run hard. 'Hard running' days (for me) would be long distance runs of 10+ miles or more. Or it would be when I push it hard doing speedwork (i.e. 2-miles at slightly above 5k pace) with assorted pickups (or 'fartlek' as it is known amongst runners) on the return. The idea with the pickups is that on the 2-mile return, I might spot a telephone pole or mailbox a hundred yards or so down the road and pick up the pace (significantly) until I reach it. Then I back off that pace for 15-30 seconds as sort of a breather (though usually without walking or stopping) and then pick another object and up the pace again until I reach it. I do this for the last two miles. This is basically interval training, though without the measurements. I will be doing this very workout tonight, in 90+ degree heat & humidity. That's a hard running workout (for me).

Or a hard run might be a medium distance run, that has a lot of steep hills that require me to work harder.

An easy day (for me) would be a normal paced, flat course, medium distance run of say 3-6 miles. My pace is very comfortable, for me, such that I can hold a conversation with someone throughout the entire run. On easy days I will usually just drink some water afterwards and that's it.

You can't run hard every single day that you go for a run, if you want to progress with it. Some days have to be easier and some harder than others. The idea, overall, is that the harder running days will help you progress your easier running days (either distance, speed or both).

Then again, my goals at this point is just to have fun. To me, running is fun. I enjoy pushing my limits with it on certain days. Soon I will be training for a marathon and things will change some.