Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2006, 11:15 AM

Default Re: made the decision to get a dog...HELP

[ QUOTE ]
Some advice from a professional dog trainer.

No matter what the breed, you can't predict with 100% accuracy what type of temperament your dog will have. You will have a better chance getting a better puppy with a reputable breeder. Getting an older dog from a rescue sounds like a solid choice for you, so look into that. Call up some local rescues and see what they have, and what their requirements for adoption are.

Obedience school can be a great way to train your dog. Going by your location of Las Vegas, look at Rich Damico at Sin City K9, or Fred Hassan's school Sit means Sit (I've heard good and bad things about Fred Hassan's place, but it still looks better than 98% of the trainers out there).

If you are interested in training the dog yourself, look to get some basic obedience DVDs from Leerburg . Start off with the basic obedience DVD.

PM me if you have any more questions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I would second this. The other thing about dogs is that most of them shed a great deal (poodles don't) and it might be kind of a hassle. Timely grooming will help alot.
Old 08-23-2006, 11:20 AM

I had a french bulldog. Absolute best dog. She was absolutely no work, very friendly, no agressive at all.

Puggles are way too cute to be real.
Old 08-23-2006, 12:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
french bulldog

[/ QUOTE ]

word up.

english bulldogs have hip problems and breathing problems with great regularity.

french bulldog, 5 stars.
Old 08-23-2006, 12:14 PM

Rescue a dog from the pound and give it the life it deserves.
It is a decision you will never regret.
Old 08-23-2006, 12:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
french bulldog

[/ QUOTE ]

word up.

english bulldogs have hip problems and breathing problems with great regularity.

french bulldog, 5 stars.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you do the legwork and look into the breeder there's no reason your english bulldog will have breathing problems.
As to the hips, many large breeds will have some form of dysplasia. Again, research is your friend.

I've had a few types of dogs and, from now on, I'll never have any dog other than an english bulldog. Super friendly, low maintenance on the exercise front, great with kids, cats, other dogs, etc.

And it would be great for OP because they don't need much space.
Old 08-23-2006, 12:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
french bulldog

[/ QUOTE ]

word up.

french bulldog, 5 stars.

[/ QUOTE ]

poorly bred Frenchies have just as many breathing problems as well as eye issues.
Old 08-23-2006, 12:54 PM

nation: If you live in apartment, don't get a dog that needs a lot of exercise and mental activity (Corgis, Jack Russells, etc). The french bulldog looks cool...or one of the more reserved terriers ( scottish terrier )

Don't get a puppy. Seriously, it's wicked hard work for your first dog and you'll probably screw up the training. I wish now (though I love my golden retriever) that I'd gone to one of those free-dog websites and gotten a 1-2 y.o. mutt. Pretrained, already nice, good recommendations= much easier transition.

gl,
--GA
Old 08-23-2006, 11:56 PM

I didn't read the responses, so maybe I'm repeating here, but if I'm repeating then it must be good advice.

First, DO NOT GET YOUR PUPPY FROM A PET STORE. You may think $700 for a puppy from a breeder is expensive, but it's not all that much more than you'll probably pay at the pet store and you'll know WTF you're getting. Another great alternative is to adopt a dog from the shelter or a rescure organization. Pet stores get their dogs from "puppy mills" that have no concern for the puppies' health, proper breeding, or well-being. They churn out as many dogs as they can. Pet stores also do not take the best care of their dogs and disease is rampant. You may pay $150 less for a puppy from the store, but you'll pay much more than that in extra vet fees. In the long run, this up-front cost isn't even significant. You're going to be buying food and other [censored] and the initical purchase price is a wash.

Crate train your puppy. I'm sure you can find plenty of info on that on your own.

POSITIVE REINFORCEMENT. Don't hit your dog, don't try to dominate it through fear. Encourage it through praise and rewards.

Make sure you socialize your dog. You can't socialize him enough. This is with people as well as other dogs. Do it early and keep it up even when he's older. It's important that your dog learn how to act around other people and other dogs.
Old 08-23-2006, 11:59 PM

Just so we're clear, when you buy a dog, it will live for about a decade, pooping a couple to a few times per day.

You will handle 100% of that poop. Keep that in mind.
Old 08-24-2006, 12:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Just so we're clear, when you buy a dog, it will live for about a decade, pooping a couple to a few times per day.

You will handle 100% of that poop. Keep that in mind.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is a good point. Make sure you know what you're getting into. Know that it's a reasonably large responsibility and not just picking up dogshit. This is another life depending on you. You have to think about it when you want to be out all night or go away for the weekend. It's not quite like having a kid, but there are definite real similarities. Please make sure it's right for you and don't be one of those people whose dog ends up at the shelter because it's a drag on their lifestyle.