Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2007, 07:24 PM

Default Re: i am an embarrassment

awww. everyone loves each other.

BUT SERIOUSLY THOUGH.

nation i know exactly where you are coming from. i dropped out of school w/ like 50k in student loan debt. my total monthly nut is ~$2500. that's a pretty easy amount for anyone w/ a computer to make playing poker, but sometimes it's just not worth it. i've been a winning player for 3 years. but it's just not fun anymore.

i'm afraid to venture into the higher games that i'm pretty sure i could beat, just because i'm afraid to go broke if i hit a bad run right away, then i wouldn't be able to pay my nut.

i think the greatest post i've ever read in 5 years of reading/posting on 2p2 was gild's when he said something to the effect of "real job + part time poker = the nuts."
i'm not sure if that's exactly right but you def. get the idea.

for me it's more like part time job + part time poker = the nuts. having a job gives you more of a sense of self worth since you're actually doing something w/ your life, and you can still play poker. it sounds like you don't have a girlfriend or a family that you have to be responsible for, so you can take that 12k and take shots at $400 NL. if you're making enough money to pay your bills from a job, and you play 1/3 of the poker you do now (or would like to now) just think of all the extra money you'll have. then you can use it to either spend more than 3k/month on cool stuff (not including bills) or spend 1k and invest the other 2k so you can retire early, or whatever you want. that or you could just keep playing higher until you hit a point that you can't move win any higher.

doesn't it sound nice to maybe work 20 hrs./week and a job that pays your bills, and play 10/20 hrs./week of 2/4-5/10 and be making 7-8k/month? as opposed to stressing about running out of money?

wow, even if nobody even reads this, that was very theraputic and i think i'm going to take myself up on this.

good day sirs, and good luck w/ whatever you choose to do.
Old 10-01-2007, 07:27 PM

LOL at jeans.

I don't think i've worn anything but pajama pants for at least a good year. Maybe some sweats thrown in here and there for good measure.
Old 10-01-2007, 07:43 PM

I go to college so I would feel really awkward if I spend as much/month as you guys.

I guess I also don't have rent or other bills, soooo.

And I eat a lot of ramen still.
Old 10-01-2007, 07:50 PM

metetron,

with all due respect, i disagree. i've run at 4.5 ptbb over my last 40k hands (small sample size) at 6max. the trick is to now play that many hands in one month instead of 6.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I don't think i've worn anything but parachute pants for at least a good year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Old 10-01-2007, 08:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
nation i always thought you were older, why do you want to make some this kind of committment to anything at 23, just enjoy your time at the moment and get by.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah really. Way back in 2003 when I was 23 I thought Chris Moneymaker was the best player in the world. I played $5 SNGs on Paradise and worked at FedEx. And now look at me, I play 100 NL for a living!

Balla.

[/ QUOTE ]

fwiw i'm 23, just got a job as a sharepoint developer/consultant, and am getting paid 65k (associates degree as well.) I have no idea why people think there is a strong correlation between level of education and earning potential (If this were the case all PHD's would be millionaires.)

[/ QUOTE ]

It is a proven fact that the higher level of education you have completed the more on average your earning potential.Obviously there are exceptions but maybe if you had a college degree you would understand this.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
nation i always thought you were older, why do you want to make some this kind of committment to anything at 23, just enjoy your time at the moment and get by.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah really. Way back in 2003 when I was 23 I thought Chris Moneymaker was the best player in the world. I played $5 SNGs on Paradise and worked at FedEx. And now look at me, I play 100 NL for a living!

Balla.

[/ QUOTE ]

fwiw i'm 23, just got a job as a sharepoint developer/consultant, and am getting paid 65k (associates degree as well.) I have no idea why people think there is a strong correlation between level of education and earning potential (If this were the case all PHD's would be millionaires.)

[/ QUOTE ]

It is a proven fact that the higher level of education you have completed the more on average your earning potential.Obviously there are exceptions but maybe if you had a college degree you would understand this.

[/ QUOTE ]

a masters earns about the same as a doctorate... in fact getting a doctorate sometimes is bad for job prospects, as it over qualifies you for many

the peak is masters, doctorate is not necessary
Old 10-01-2007, 08:58 PM

tbh i just try not to think about how much i spend, but its gotta be at least 5k
Old 10-01-2007, 08:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Balla.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Jesus, could you be any more condescending?

There are diminishing returns to higher level education, for salary it goes something like

BA &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&g t;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; HS diploma

MA &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; BA

PhD and MA are pretty close in salary...sometimes &gt; sometimes &lt; depending on the field

Obviously professional degree money (JD, MBA, MD) &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; every other degree

it also depends on what type of PhD...a PhD in chemistry and you're making 6 figures in the pharma industry...a PhD in English lit and you are working at Starbucks earning $7/hr writing the next great American novel.

I dropped out of a top 5 gradschool with a scholarship and I pulled in 6 figures last year...my cohort is doing paid internships on Capitol Hill in DC making like 20k a year eating ramen noodles.

And finally, money is not the most important thing...quality of life is paramount, imo and an advanced degree doesn't buy you that. Who cares if some corporate lawyer is making 300k if they work 100 hour weeks and never see their kids?
Old 10-01-2007, 09:01 PM

great post gild