Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2007, 10:39 AM

Default Re: Theory Time with MJ - Creating Profitable Situations With a Short Stac

Great Post

Harrington did take his red-zone example from an online tourney, but he didnt' specify the buy-in. If first in vig isnt' respected any more at any buy-in, then maybe its changed because a significant % have read HOH or gotten the advice from another source or maybe just seen everyone else doing it.

I was surprised at some of the hands that the move was made with and the hands he was prepared to make with but someone else got in first.

Trying to fold out limpers was not even addressed. 1st in vig doesnt' apply, so in a sense, that is a seperate topic. I assume he would revert back to GAP when there is one or more already in the pot.

The Kill Phil strategy just says "limpers OK". I never thought about it until now, but maybe it says that because for each limper that makes the pot bigger, your M ( I think they call it CSI) is effectively smaller, so that counter-balances the fact that you are more likely to be called when you move in. That is not explicitly stated, though.

There was another post here recently where someone mentioned an allin chart based on M and position, but I don't know if limpers were a factor.
Old 08-15-2007, 01:49 PM

Default Re: Theory Time with MJ - Creating Profitable Situations With a Short Stac

For each limper, the jam has to work less due to the dead money you will create.

Sklansky's tournament system is MUCH more adept at SS situation and I feel it can mathematically tell you a right play much more often than Harrington's zone theories.
Old 08-15-2007, 05:42 PM

Thanks. I need to get that one.

That's TPFAP: ‘Tournament Poker For Advanced Players’, right?
Old 08-15-2007, 08:17 PM

Default Re: Theory Time with MJ - Creating Profitable Situations With a Short

Yes. It really is just a general theory + Math book, making it second in the line of reading after HoH.
Old 09-04-2007, 08:50 PM

I can has BUMP? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Excellent post, MJ.
Old 09-04-2007, 11:42 PM

awesome post

i agree 100% with what OP said

i read the part on zone strat a few weeks ago and i was applying but found myself always getting dominated with ace and a better kicker (i was shoving UTG/UTG+1 with any ace becasue harrington said)

i normally never do this in fear of getting dominated, but if harrington says it's right... it must be...

WRONG....he doesn't account for online play that much

which is why MJ hit it right on the spot....so i never push with ace rag in early position (def late/button position tho)

suited 9/10, qj, j10, kq are better hands to be pushing online than ace rag since you'll def be live more times than not
Old 11-04-2007, 05:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
time and time again I've pushed a weak hand utg because Harrington said so... and I've grown more and more annoyed about the results, cause the chance that someone does have a good enough hand to call is just too big
(Pen and Paper tell me that there is a 50% chance that someone behind you will have AQ+/88+ whenever you are UTG)

[/ QUOTE ]

Would you jump off a bridge because Harrington said so? Books are a great tool to improve but they cannot be a basis for how you play every single situation. Nor should you blame your looses on guidelines provided by an author. Just because Harrington is a world champion doesn't mean his style will work for you...
Old 11-04-2007, 06:05 PM

MJ's post is good and sums up some of the changes I've made to my game when playing low level online MTTs.

HOH is based on Harrington's experiences with higher level games. While he acknowledges some of the differences, he doesn't recommend changing your style because of it...

Long story short, you don't have as much FE in a low level MTT. So when you shove with 95 suited from MP in an unopened pot with an M of 4, you are more likely to get called with weaker hands. So what does that mean...

I tend to avoid shoves from EP unless I have stronger cards or my M is very low. I tend to be a little more patient with shoves with weaker cards.

I still think first in viggorish works...particularly late as players get scared and the $ gets bigger. I just think you need use viggorish a little more judiciously than HOH suggests.
Old 11-05-2007, 12:06 AM

Excellent post. I also was a bit unsure if all of HOH applied to online as well as live. Obviously some concepts are universal, but this is a really good revision for online specific play. Much appreciated!
Old 11-05-2007, 07:06 AM

nice post gona have to reread this this tomorrow when im more awake. (definitely struck a chord with your A9 eg as i just bubbled a 45 man with that very hand and M of 8 AIPF)