Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2007, 04:24 PM

Default Re: 98s small blind steal.

[ QUOTE ]
You and your...numbers....and math....and smaller numbers with more complex meanings......boo.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just random musings...bored at work [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Summer internships FTW!
Old 07-26-2007, 04:26 PM

The more I think about it the more I'm having a hard time finding a reason not to push. You're only really dead to 88+. 88 and 99 might overlimp, but TT+ doesn't seem likely. The problem is I'd hate pushing KTo or even K9o and they're just a good as 89s as far as what happens if called. Well, KQ might be in the calling range.

I just can't get past shoving into 4 players with 9-high being a good thing...
Old 07-26-2007, 04:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The more I think about it the more I'm having a hard time finding a reason not to push. You're only really dead to 88+. 88 and 99 might overlimp, but TT+ doesn't seem likely. The problem is I'd hate pushing KTo or even K9o and they're just a good as 89s as far as what happens if called. Well, KQ might be in the calling range.

I just can't get past shoving into 4 players with 9-high being a good thing...

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no problem doing this, I just think your stack is a little too big to do this here (i.e. any thinking player would adjust his range to call knowing a huge overbet push can't be QQ-AA). If you had something like 2000, pushing here is a pretty sexy option.
Old 07-26-2007, 04:29 PM

KQ limping here is sickly bad, but it does happen.

I'd jet in KT here too. Maybe not suited.
Old 07-26-2007, 04:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
KQ limping here is sickly bad, but it does happen.

I'd jet in KT here too. Maybe not suited.

[/ QUOTE ]

KQ limp from UTG or from later as an overlimp is pretty common. Same with KJs, QJs, etc, etc. Though, I don't think most of those are calling you. KQ might though.
Old 07-26-2007, 04:57 PM

lol, there are only three people discussing this. About 6 months ago, this would have been a hot question.

Anyway, I don't like it. I think the UTG limp is terrifying and he calls with A10 and AJ and AQ and 1010 and AA and KK and KQ and 99 and 88 and A9 maybe some other surprising [censored] that will make your jaw drop. Your stack is great for a call + see the flop. MP may be getting cute here too and call with his mid pair.

One thing I've learned is that:

1. The Button/SB/BB all-in steal with those suited connectors is becoming very popular;
2. The limp early/call an AI late push with A/mid kicker, mid pairs, power hands is becoming popular;
3. Finding a weak opponent and [censored] with him will always be effective, though it takes more effort.

Barry
Old 07-26-2007, 05:24 PM

I just skimmed. Wanted to point out that I would need a decent read on CO (vpip numbers for UTG would be good too). He's just too deep (and closing the action) to make me think he's folding a lot of his limp range. The default micro player with that kind of stack likes to limp/call with a huge range (any pair, Ax, broadway).

Without running the numbers I think against most players you're also a little too deep for this to be +ev (with this hand at least). I agree with completing > pushing. It's probably not a horrible push though.
Old 07-26-2007, 08:08 PM

Good posts from everyone.

Personally I like the topic in general.
Old 07-26-2007, 08:21 PM

There is absolutely no reason to push here, except that OP is suffering from Fancy Play Syndrome. It's only level 5 of the tournament, why are you risking your entire 3k stack in an attempt to steal 675 chips? Sure, most of the time you'll take it down and feel like a great champion, but occasionally you'll get called by AA, KK, QQ, JJ, AK, AQ, TT, 88, KQo, and god knows what else. Stop being a greedy lagtard. Just complete your SB and see a flop.
Old 07-26-2007, 08:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There is absolutely no reason to push here, except that OP is suffering from Fancy Play Syndrome. It's only level 5 of the tournament, why are you risking your entire 3k stack in an attempt to steal 675 chips? Sure, most of the time you'll take it down and feel like a great champion, but occasionally you'll get called by AA, KK, QQ, JJ, AK, AQ, TT, 88, KQo, and god knows what else. Stop being a greedy lagtard. Just complete your SB and see a flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

1. It's a turbo.
2. This is hardly FPS.
3. I will never get called by half the [censored] you think I will get called with. In fact, 88 and KQ are the ONLY two hands feasable here.
4. 675 chips is over 20% of my stack. My stack is not "huge" this is a turbo.
5. You see that "god knows what else" that's calling me? It's +EV if it does. Specifically any situation that I'm not dominated and not against overpairs against is +EV because of the huge amounts of dead money I'm creating. In fact, two of the stacks that might call me are so short that it's by far HUGELY +EV if they do with the range of hands they would have. The two others have hands they're flat calling rather than raising with with others in the pot, that narrows their range to hands that don't destroy me.

Don't come here with 0 understanding of the hand and call me a lagtard. The argument is NOT whether or not the jam is +EV. The argument is whether or not calling is a higher +EV.