Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2007, 12:27 PM

Default Re: how good is AJo (utg) when u pushed the last 3 hands?

[ QUOTE ]
This is lovely because the chances of you getting looked up by a worse ace are much higher due to image. Any hand that has you hurting is calling no matter what your image is.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. That's why I didn't say I'd drop AJ from the range Barry gave. Normally for a short stack utg push AJ is on the fence for me. Which way it falls depends on table conditions and my current image. Since I expect to get looked up by a wider range that has weaker aces I dominate I didn't drop AJ from my range. However Seke's point that you've got more people to get past and therefore a bigger chance of running into one of those dominating hands is a consideration. That's why I'm always on the fence on shoving AJ from EP. The wider calling range I anticipate that includes weaker aces is also why I'd be less likely to shove KQ here.
Old 04-16-2007, 01:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Why would we be pushing AJo UTG on a full ring table after pushing the previous 3 hands? I don't know if I'd be pushing it even if I had a tight image, and here we might have blown that image. Plus it's a sat, so we should probably be taking a few less risks pushing from EP with marginal hands as we will tend to have greater FE than usual for opening from LP, unless the players to our left are calling too wide or have very deep/very shallow stacks.

[/ QUOTE ]

And what if the players from our right are pushing with high frequency too, thereby lowering our push-FE from MP or LP? Does that increase your push range?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, that's a factor, but I'm still not sure it swings this. AJo is a hand I fold fairly often in EP on a full ring table period, so later on in a sat where survival begins to trump accumulation to a degree, I think it is a pretty easy fold. Especially because nobody is folding a pair against me, and I'm really not hoping to get called here.

I don't think it's like, horrible, but I don't think it's awful either, partly for the reason others mentioned about getting calls from A8-AT type hands.
Old 04-16-2007, 01:51 PM

Based on the big stack being ~20k and another stack around ~15k, you have to gamble and push, you want someone to think you are pushing ATC and look you up light.

You provided no read on the big stacks. Are they active and still gambling or are they just sitting on their stack?
(Like they should be) If they are gambling then Hero can wait for a better spot. If the big stacks are playing correctly then push the AJ UTG.

Now let's look at position. Hero pushed last 3 hands.
Hero pushed from button. Any action in front of Hero? If there is action in front of Hero then hero showed strength. If there is no action then Hero showed that he is capable of stealing. Hero pushes from the SB, same scenario (strength or stealing) Hero pushes from BB, see above.

So you have either established and image of a thief or a strong player. When I think about it neither image hurts Hero. So push AJ UTG. (Table will think a Strong player would only play a good hand from UTG a positive for Hero. Table will think a thief would push ATC UTG a positive for Hero)

If you are looked up light and lose, oh well, you got your money in good. If you are looked up and villain has the nuts, oh well, gg sir. The nuts are the nuts and they will look you up regardless of position.

Question: What position does Hero need to be in to Call an all in with AJ? Suppose hero is SB, and the button pushes. Does hero call?

loose
Old 04-16-2007, 02:30 PM

i really didnt know here, AJo is on the verge for me also utg with a stack that can take the blinds a round. and just by some kind of strange thinking thought it would be bad to play it with my image now but thinking about it afterwards i think barry got a big point here, getting called light is good here eh. In the hand i folded but thinking afterwards it might be a mistake. and a sat it is but 1-3 paid it plays a bit mote like a go for win tourney, no?