Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2006, 02:04 PM

Default Laptop users: Why?

Why is it so many people on 2+2 seem hell bent on using laptops for playing poker? Questions get asked all the time anout running 2, 3, 4 monitors and huge plasma screens, etc...from their LAPTOPS. I really don't get it. Surely these people aren't carting around 3 monitors or their plasmas every time they actually use the portability of the laptop, are they? And if so then what's the big deal about carrying around a small form factor desktop if ya have all that other stuff anyway? I really don't get it. I own a laptop and use it when traveling...but other than that I'm on easy and cheap to upgrade desktops. What is the 2+2 laptop fetish about?

(not meant as an insult to anyone at all...I honestly don't get using a laptop as a main machine at all and would like to understand this peculiar behaviour)
Old 09-26-2006, 05:01 PM

Default Re: Laptop users: Why?

I'm with you.
Old 09-26-2006, 06:52 PM

A lot of us are students, professionals, etc. I have a laptop because I have to have it for law school. I'm sure many others are the same way.
Old 09-26-2006, 08:02 PM

I guess my big hangup then is why not get a portable 12" student laptop, plus get a basic computer at home that can power many screens + PAHud + PT + multitable?
Old 09-26-2006, 08:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A lot of us are students, professionals, etc. I have a laptop because I have to have it for law school. I'm sure many others are the same way.

[/ QUOTE ]

While that makes perfect sense to have a laptop if you have one and only one computer (and thanks for responding) I still don't get the people dropping thousands on multi-LCD setups or high-dollar big screens. Would it not make more sense to buy CRT's and use the savings for a desktop computer? You'd have somewhere to backup data then, too....and have a spare computer...plus never have to worry about the laptop "gotchyas" (running out of space on boot drive, slower drive speed, nowhere near the flexibility in adding drives, cards, and monitors, more expensive to repair/upgrade, fewer upgrades available, more fragile, more proprietary parts that are way overpriced, generally fewer ports of all types, etc)
Old 09-26-2006, 09:16 PM

uhmm..i like it because im sitting here on my porch typing this message..
Old 09-27-2006, 12:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

*sigh* Everyone actually running 802.11* really gets me, too. <long security rant w/ alcohol-induced personal attacks and other gripes and things I'd prolly regret saying once sober deleted.>
Old 09-27-2006, 02:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

*sigh* Everyone actually running 802.11* really gets me, too. <long security rant w/ alcohol-induced personal attacks and other gripes and things I'd prolly regret saying once sober deleted.>

[/ QUOTE ]

we can't be friends anymore
Old 09-27-2006, 10:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
we can't be friends anymore

[/ QUOTE ]

lol. 802.11* has it's uses and can be "safe enough"...but it's way overused and very rarely set up anywhere close to being secure. People think that just because their laptop loses the signal at the corner of the front yard, then someone would have to be that close to use their signal. Folders are shared all the time w/o passwords on the internal LAN, hardly anyone disables the administrative shares, they use a dictionary word w/ a number or two mixed in for their wifi keys...or even worse they use WEP, blah blah blah. Lots of false senses of security out there.
Old 09-27-2006, 02:00 PM

Like you, I use my laptop for travel (most for poker, but other internet related things as well). I've also been considering using it more for poker at home, so I don't tie up the family computer (which has two monitors). I would never entertain multiple monitors on my laptop however. I don't need to since realizing I make more $$ by not playing 6 or more tables. -lol