Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2006, 08:36 AM

Default just pure maniacal or did he just make an amazing/donkinsh call on me

hello,

read a bit on laggish play from the anthology yesterday and decided to try it in a 4.40/180 sng on PS.

Had been hopping tables like a maniac the entire tourney so i had encountered this guy one time before but quite recently been moved to this table, I hadnt seen him do much. i know i havent shown down any raised crap,

So except for bluffing of my entire stack to the one guy who can bust me, what did i do wrong???...

40 left average around 6-7000k i presume

villain 22k
me 11.5k

blinds 100/200

villain limps in mp2 and i make it 1000 with xx in co+1 with 5-6k stackbehind me, atleast BB is quite conservative havent called many raises pf. All folds to villain who minraise me... this confuses me lots but i call with position (seen this mp limpraise sometimes in the 4 and tens with ak but then they always come way over top).

Flop is K 8 6 two diamonds and villain bets 200 into the 4k pot and i think for a little while and make it 2400, he calls semifast.

Turn is a ten (not diamond) he check and i push my remaining 7k in the 8k pot, villain calls. im out

thoughts, im very confused with minreraise pf, i really have a hard time putting him on a good hand probably somekinda of info bet that i dont understand, is it suicidal to repush pf? On flop i think hes got crap most times or hopes i gonna hang myself sometimes. I push anyways on turn cause i want that pot and cant bet anything else really. What im really concerned with is his info bets that i really cant see what he got out of, ie what do he think i have. a well i gotta stop babbling now...
Old 05-25-2006, 08:43 AM

Default Re: just pure maniacal or did he just make an amazing/donkinsh call on me

In the 4.40's, you're not going to push people off hands too often until late.

Last night, I raised an UTG limper in the 100/200 w/ante that had my size stack, I raised to 800, it's a full table, and he calls w/K4 suited. The thing is, that's why these are so easy, IMO. They will call with crap like K4. He won that pot against my QQ. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
Old 05-25-2006, 09:46 AM

Default Re: just pure maniacal or did he just make an amazing/donkinsh call on

Um, what was your hand? I couldn't even understand that from your post, sorry.
Old 05-25-2006, 09:52 AM

Default Re: just pure maniacal or did he just make an amazing/donkinsh call on me

Lagging it up and then bluffing your chips away in the $4 tournies is not really what the anthology is referring to. They don't fold in that tourney.

Brad
Old 05-25-2006, 10:12 AM

i get ur point, lol my hand was 53off and his AToff i didnt post them i op so its not strange that u didnt see it
Old 05-25-2006, 10:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i get ur point, lol my hand was 53off and his AToff i didnt post them i op so its not strange that u didnt see it

[/ QUOTE ]

Really hard to judge whether the other guy's call was donkish or not when you don't give us his cards.

And if you were honestly playing anything like this consistently earlier in the tournament, and had ever shown down any sort of bluff this amazingly dumb earlier in the tournament that this guy had seen, I'd call you down with ace high too. Even if you were just splashing around in a ton of pots, or if you were raising in position every time you had a chance to act.

From a theoretical concept, your play "should" have worked and the other guy probably just sucks at poker. But Nez is right, don't bluff like a crazy guy in microstakes, especially not against a player who is capable of knocking you out when you doing quite well. Semi-bluffing is much better than completely lunatic bluff like this.
Old 05-25-2006, 11:08 AM

I think he didn't put you on the K and when he paired his ten he was willing to take you to the felt. Definitely not unheard of in these levels, especially if you showed a bluff earlier.

I'm not a fan of this play in general, once the villain called your PF raise and post flop bet you have to assume they like their hand enough that you wouldn't be able to bluff them off it. Maybe and AI postflop would've gotten them off their hand, but once that ten hit you were screwed.

IMO it was a good call on their part and kind of a donkish bluff on yours. IMHO you shouldn't be bluffing w/ complete air at these levels as people call w/ all sorts of crap.

Yesterday I had KK UTG and raised 3xBB w/ 3 callers. Flop came 47J rainbow. I bet the pot and got two callers. Turn came a 7 and I bet the pot again only to get called (AI) by 78o... 78o!!!! called a raise PF and a big bet post flop to catch their miracle card!!! The crazy bad play at this level should definitely be in the back of your mind when you make a bluff w/ complete air.
Old 05-25-2006, 11:40 AM

I see absolutely no point in doing any betting on the river. What hands do you expect to fold that limp-min-reraise you preflop, and call your huge turn raise?

Donkish push on the river.
Old 05-25-2006, 11:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Donkish push on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 05-25-2006, 12:33 PM

Default Re: just pure maniacal or did he just make an amazing/donkinsh call on

do not bluff in micros. just play strong hands fast as [censored].