Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 01:25 AM

Default Leaks from 25 to 50 NL

Hey guys, my bankroll is climbing its way over 600 these days, and I'm consistently winning at 25NL.

Every time I stick my head into 50NL, though, I win a bit, lose a bit, get knocked around, and usually end up even or down.

Now, the leaks I think I'm finding are:
In 25NL I am willing to go to war with TPTK, because I know the donks are going to spew it to me. In 50NL though, this seems very expensive, costing me more than anything.

Preflop play in 50 is much more aggressive and really bugs me out. I don't know whether to turtle up and play super-standard, only 3-bet JJ+, only call 3-bets with set odds, etc. Or to try to read hands or what.

Does anyone have any advice on moving up, any more specific thoughts and common leaks that follow you from 25 to 50? (and yes, I've read the stickies)?
Old 11-08-2007, 01:30 AM

Default Re: Leaks from 25 to 50 NL

You are't gonna want stacks in most of the time against most players with TPTK.

Just fold top pair to a turn check raise...I used to leak off big time when I got check raised on the turn. It's a big hand 99% of the time.

Don't nit up pre-flop, but play what you can...don't cut 3betting range to JJ+.

Honestly without a read and/or history you shouldn't be calling too many 3bets anyway especially with like midpairs.

Just gotta post hands, read other people's posts, read the stickies, play and practice, etc. You'll learn and eventually start to win. If worst comes to worst and it comes down to it think about hiring a coach.

Edit: Really good collection:

http://www.pr0crast.com/2+2.NL.Anthology.v1.htm
Old 11-08-2007, 01:36 AM

It's not the turn raise that stacks me off, it's just "bet, bet, bet."

I mean, I'm not losing my whole stack with that line, but I'm dropping about half of it if I call down with TPTK. In 25, I'm not calling the turn raise, but in 50 I get worried calling the turn bet!
Old 11-08-2007, 01:37 AM

Not much I can say. It's situation and opponent dependent.
Old 11-08-2007, 02:17 AM

Plz read pokey's post about moving up.

There really is very little difference between the two games, IMO. Maybe slightly more raising and 3-betting pf, but the postflop play is every bit as bad.

Willing to bet that a lot of the difference is in your head. Also, your BR is not ready for it. So a 1bi swing is going to hurt waaaaay too much for you to be playing there yet. Which leads to the whole "its in your head" thing. Play a shitton of 25NL, get very confident, have maybe $1k, and give yourself a 5bi shot. It'll be so much easier, I promise.
Old 11-08-2007, 02:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Preflop play in 50 is much more aggressive and really bugs me out. I don't know whether to turtle up and play super-standard, only 3-bet JJ+, only call 3-bets with set odds, etc. Or to try to read hands or what.

[/ QUOTE ]

You min4bet me preflop today. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] It's pretty annoying but it's not a good strategy.
Old 11-08-2007, 02:42 AM

2 of the biggest reasons people aren't able to move up, imo:
They deviate from there normal game that was winning at the level below...
and
they take shots with out being properly rolled

I'd say your doing both
Old 11-08-2007, 03:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You min4bet me preflop today. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] It's pretty annoying but it's not a good strategy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did I? Did I min, or just do it small? Did I c-bet it and fold or c-bet it and win or anything? I have no recollection of this at all. I think I lost though. I spent one table kinda tilty cause I went all-in on the turn with QQ and a Q on the board, and someone with AhKh rivered the last heart.

The bankroll thing is important, actually. I imagine I would tilt less if every bad beat up there didn't knock out a decent amount of my bankroll. I also find myself taking reraises and big bets more personally, which is so very bad for play.

Anyway, I'll keep reading and grinding 25 until I'm closer to a thousand, I guess. Thanks for the advice though.
Old 11-08-2007, 04:41 AM

You need at least 1k for 50nl if you've never played it before. I like the more aggressive play at 50nl, but that being said it's not that much different from 25nl.

I'm guessing you're already not aggressive enough pf, though. You've got to play poker.
Closed Thread