Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2007, 01:26 AM

Default Re: Weird spot with friend and possible jailtime

This is definitely a scam. I could never see a store like CVS making a deal like this - why would they want to send a message to all of their cashiers that if they steal from the store and get caught, all they have to do is pay it back? Store management would be taking a huge risk of letting this kid just skip town and they should be smart enough to know that he'll never be able to repay the money. Plus how the hell would he manage to net $6k from a store like this? Most people pay with plastic these days - it would take a lot of stealing over a very long time to get that much.

If by some chance you are dumb enough to fall for this, arrange to meet with the store manager and give the money directly to him, not to your friend. And then count on never getting any of it back.
Old 11-08-2007, 01:34 AM

How does this guy not approach you directly for a loan instead of through a third party? That's SUPER sketchy!

And I've never heard of any business that would not press charges in return for money being paid back, unless maybe it's enough that the business could really suffer. They just have the accountants write it off and nail the perpetrator as hard as possible. Particularly since in a lot of cases, the judge will order restitution as part of (say) a probation agreement. Or the DA may accept a plea that includes restitution. So the business has a decent chance of getting some or all of the money back, anyway.

I'd def follow this up and find out what's really going on before I'd consider handing over any cash.
Old 11-08-2007, 01:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is definitely a scam. I could never see a store like CVS making a deal like this - why would they want to send a message to all of their cashiers that if they steal from the store and get caught, all they have to do is pay it back? Store management would be taking a huge risk of letting this kid just skip town and they should be smart enough to know that he'll never be able to repay the money. Plus how the hell would he manage to net $6k from a store like this? Most people pay with plastic these days - it would take a lot of stealing over a very long time to get that much.

If by some chance you are dumb enough to fall for this, arrange to meet with the store manager and give the money directly to him, not to your friend. And then count on never getting any of it back.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's pretty much standard for any company to let you off if you pay the money back. Do you think the CVS manager would rather have some kid he'll never see again sit in jail for 1/2 a year or get his [censored] $6,000 back??

-ChipsAhoya
Old 11-08-2007, 01:38 AM

They can get both.
Old 11-08-2007, 01:51 AM

America's Dumbest Criminals?

How much do they pay for stories?
Old 11-08-2007, 02:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Is this something common? Since when do you get a time limit to repay stolen goods before you go to jail? Especially 6k?

If not, as I said, it sounds like a scam.

[/ QUOTE ]
You're right.

Colombo,

Merely posting this thread means you need a better defined boundary between "junkie klepto acquaintance" and "close friend I would lend thousands of dollars to in a pinch.". Hint: there's a whole spectrum of relationships in between.
Old 11-08-2007, 02:22 AM

Hell no colombo, doing this is the worst idea ever.
Old 11-08-2007, 02:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Is it worth $6000 to you to never see these friends again?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would OP want/need friends like this?

Also, it is pretty shady by your friend to ask you to lend the guy 6k when you are not even friends with him.

Dont do it imo
Old 11-08-2007, 02:55 AM

Don't give them a cent.
Old 11-08-2007, 02:59 AM

It's pretty simple. If he's your friend, give him the money. If not, [censored] him. The fact that you'd even consider not paying 6k to keep him out of jail seems to indicate that he's not your friend.