Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: If you have changed your beliefs, has your profession had anything to do with it?
YES 2 8.00%
NO 18 72.00%
I HAVE NOT CHANGED MY BELIEFS 5 20.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-06-2007, 01:18 PM

Default Re: Stiffing

[ QUOTE ]
i really don't know why this argument always comes up, but not tipping is not the same as being a cheapstake.

[/ QUOTE ]

when someone spends an hour taking your order, bringing you food, refilling your drinks, checking up on you, etc. and they are being paid $2/hour and you don't tip them, by definition YOU ARE A CHEAPSKATE. Sit back and say "well if she didn't want to make only $2, then don't work here!" but you are being [censored] cheap.

not tipping when service is bad is a different story.
Old 11-06-2007, 01:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i really don't know why this argument always comes up, but not tipping is not the same as being a cheapstake. the two actually have little to do with each other, and that argument is so tired and stupid.

you don't have to be cheap to have certain views on the stupidity of tipping culture.

[/ QUOTE ]

regardless whether a tipping culture is stupid or not, that's what we live in, so it's just being a douche to not tip because you think it's stupid.

i think the electoral college is a ridiculous voting process. should i stop voting?

this is a tipping society. society and gov't dictates that servers don't even get payed half of minimum wage, because we are expected to tip. someone already mentioned this, and the alternative is paying more in food costs, and getting very [censored] service.

is the system perfect? of course not. don't be ridiculous.
Old 11-06-2007, 01:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i really don't know why this argument always comes up, but not tipping is not the same as being a cheapstake. the two actually have little to do with each other, and that argument is so tired and stupid.

you don't have to be cheap to have certain views on the stupidity of tipping culture.

[/ QUOTE ]

regardless whether a tipping culture is stupid or not, that's what we live in, so it's just being a douche to not tip because you think it's stupid.

i think the electoral college is a ridiculous voting process. should i stop voting?

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh god, the politard bat signal is going out in full force right now.
Old 11-06-2007, 01:23 PM

me failing to pay someone's salary is not being cheap. i tip well all the time so i'm not speaking from personal experience, i'm just saying it does not make you cheap. maybe it makes you a douche like that guy said. i can see that.
Old 11-06-2007, 01:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
tuq,

agreed. i think adding the tip in automatically for large parties is a stupid policy, but places that automatically add 20% are a bit ridiculous.

[/ QUOTE ]

Try serving a party of 15 people including 5 screaming kids, and get back to me on whether autograting is stupid or not.

Also, yeah, 10 percent is an awful tip these days. 15% is marginal and 20% is good. Most people seem to leave around 17-19%, which is fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, but nowaways with everyone paying in credit, how hard is it for the person paying to simply do his own math and write it on the credit slip? do you feel that, on average, waiters get more/less/same because of this? what about someone who knows his 5 screaming kids are a pain and would tip extra, but then the tip is auto-added so he doesn't?

also, i do think its dumb when some places have it set at 6 people or more and there are three adult couples dining together and they add in the tip.

fwiw you might be right about the hassle and judging from all the non-tippers in this thread, automatic is probably the way to go.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's probably about the same as when people paid with cash more. Actually, probably better, because it's easier to part with 20% on a credit slip than to peel off the same amount of bills and leave them.

As far as auto-grating goes, it's a crapshoot. You definitely sometimes grat tables that would have left you more, but better that than to be run ragged for 3 hours by a big table that leaves you 12%, or whatever.
Old 11-06-2007, 01:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
me failing to pay someone's salary is not being cheap. i tip well all the time so i'm not speaking from personal experience, i'm just saying it does not make you cheap. maybe it makes you a douche like that guy said. i can see that.

[/ QUOTE ]

in the situation you describe, are you not tipping because

1- Some moralistic stance

2- Save a few bucks

Most probably think 2 and say 1.
Old 11-06-2007, 01:26 PM

that is where i disagree. it's perfectly plausible that a person doesn't tip because of 1, but then goes out and spends money lavishly on other things.
Old 11-06-2007, 01:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
that is where i disagree. it's perfectly plausible that a person doesn't tip because of 1, but then goes out and spends money lavishly on other things.

[/ QUOTE ]

ok then i guess that would in fact make him a douche and not a cheapskate if he uses principles of capitalism to justify not tipping.
Old 11-06-2007, 01:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]

in the situation you describe, are you not tipping because

1- Some moralistic stance

2- Save a few bucks

Most probably think 2 and say 1.

[/ QUOTE ]

My moral stance is thus: I spend on what I feel is worth it. If I don't feel it's worth it to tip, I don't. There are no ifs, there are no buts, and I don't care if I'm called a cheapskate or look like a douche or whatever. If the service was worth it and I still didn't tip, then you would be correct.

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry, dude, but the tone of your posts in this thread is definitely self-congratulatory

[/ QUOTE ]

Most of which is derived simply because up to those points in my posts I was about the only person who posted an extended reasoning / diatribe on not tipping. Seriously, whenever there's a mass consensus on something and someone differs and explains why they differ in anything that can be construed as a rant, they are suddenly "self-congratulatory."

[ QUOTE ]
not to mention the fact that you have Mr. Pink as your avatar--"Not on my watch," etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're much too quick to make assumptions. And why do I have Mr. Pink as my avatar? Wait, do you really think I made the custom changes and themed my stuff all on my own, just because of a thread on tipping? If you suspected that, you have some logical issues to fix.

[ QUOTE ]
And sorry, but not usually tipping is the definition of "miserly."

[/ QUOTE ]

I would likely ignore this if you said that the single action of not tipping can be the definition of miserly, but it would be a laughable proposition to try to convince anyone that one single action would define a person. And it's pretty evident that the connotation of miserly implies a previous motive or premeditated belief; "miserly" people don't just impulsively decide not to leave tips on random. I have my reasons why I don't, but if my reasons make me "miserly," you should try to point out how my reasons coincide with miserly rather than tossing out "miserly" buzzwords.

[ QUOTE ]
If you're okay with being the antisocial creep who doesn't tip

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, so I have no choice -- I have to become a minion and go along with what everyone else does, right? If that's your logic for why you tip, that's all fine and dandy, but it's not something I choose to subscribe to.

[ QUOTE ]
more power to you and I'm sure you're saving a lot of $$, but you can't really have it both ways--you're a cheapskate.

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, a person can be mean in regards to a situation but not be a mean person. A father can be mean in his punishment towards his son, but that doesn't necessarily dictate him as a mean person. If you want to call me not tipping being a cheapskate, that's fine and I particularly couldn't care less -- I guess it's accurate, and I'm fine with it. But to imply not tipping makes you less of a person -- seriously, miserly? Stop the hyperbole. -- and forms the basis of my character is simply fallacious.
Old 11-06-2007, 01:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the alternative is paying more in food costs, and getting very [censored] service.

[/ QUOTE ]
No, it's not. Prices and wages are reasonable, and service is OK, in countries without retarded tipping culture (which is pretty much the whole western world except the US).

That said, the culture being there in the US, not tipping at all is despicable if service is anything else than horrible.