Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2007, 08:12 PM

Default Re: Best ICM Calculator for FT play?

http://www.icmtoolkit.com/ thank me later
Old 08-12-2007, 08:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't have a good understanding of what the differences are when you're talking about SNG prize structure vs. winner-takes-all, cash, and/or typical MTT FT's. I know I could start looking into it with SNGPT etc., but can anyone give a small overall explanation?

For example, an easy 5-handed SNG ATC push could become nothing of the sort in winner-takes-all? Why?

[/ QUOTE ]
The differences are mainly in what ICM will tell you if you put the same situation in with a different prize structure.

A typical MTT pays 15% of the field with initially very flat payouts and then an increasingly steep gradient running up to 1st. So it's worth taking risks to get the chips to take first and you are always playing to win because playing to get ITM instead will likely leave you no chance of the big bucks.

A typical STT pays 30% of the field and 1st only takes 2.5x as much as 3rd. 60% of the prize pool is decided once you get ITM. You play to get ITM and then you play for first.

I'm crap on winner takes all, but it's like an extreme MTT situation I guess. One other difference is that you don't care as much about knocking opponents out because you still need to win all the chips regardless - you don't much care how many other players are holding the chips you need.
Old 08-12-2007, 09:01 PM

The 45/18 man turbo's on stars are awesome and are pretty easy at the 6.50's/12/16 level IMO.

I do regard these as SNG's FWIW
Old 08-12-2007, 09:11 PM

^^They are SNGs - they're just not STTs. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]