Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-2007, 02:49 PM

Default Shorthanded 2nd nuts

Game # xxxxx - Omaha High Pot Limit EUR 1/2 - Table "Omaha"

Villain is OK. Nothing special, and seems to be a bit too tight for a 3-way game. Mixes it up occasionally though.

Stack sizes:
BB (EUR 1 871,32 in seat 2)
Hero (EUR 194,73 in seat 3)
SB (EUR 487,35 in seat 4)

Pre-flop: (3 players) Hero is Button with T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Hero calls €2, SB calls €1, BB checks

Flop: (€6) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets €4,50</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to €20,25</font>, BB, folds, Hero calls €15,50

Turn: (€46) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets €15</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises €60</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises €90</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises all-in €112,48</font>, SB calls €67,48

So we have the 2nd nuts in a very shorthanded game, and there's only one hand combination villain can have that beats us (TTxx). Anyone would do any differently on any of the streets?
Old 03-11-2007, 03:16 PM

Default Re: Shorthanded 2nd nuts

Raise preflop?
Once you call the flop raise and hit the second best possible turn it's hard to get away from, although SB really seems to be milking here. If there was more money behind I hope I could fold to the 3bet on the turn, since I don't see him do that with a weaker hand than yours. There's also the possibility that you're splitting and in that case, you even have some outs to beat him...
Old 03-11-2007, 03:56 PM

You should never ever consider folding here barring an ungodly read or hugly deep stacks.
Old 03-11-2007, 04:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You should never ever consider folding here barring an ungodly read or hugly deep stacks.

[/ QUOTE ]
I sort of assumed as much myself too, but what about the other streets? Fold the flop raise?
Old 03-11-2007, 05:54 PM

Folding, smoothcalling and pushing the flop are all very player dependant.
Old 03-11-2007, 07:13 PM

I figure you lost to the nuts because other this hand seems completely standard, other than the fact that I'd raise this on the button in a 3 handed game as well as most of my other hands (particularly if they're tight like you say). Like the Rempel said, your flop play is very player dependant and the only way you'd really fold this was if you had a dam-tight read that he would only do this with a set. Similarly, if he was particularly aggressive and would do this with any two pair, pumping the flop could also be an option. Again, it's all very player dependent, tough break.
Old 03-11-2007, 11:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I figure you lost to the nuts because other this hand seems completely standard

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, he obviously had TTxx; the reason I posted was that I'm fairly new to Omaha and was wondering if I should have been able to put him on that one hand by the way the hand played out.