Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2006, 11:26 PM

Default Re: Not saying good bye at the table

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

(usually when he busted out)

[/ QUOTE ]

"Come again, but bring more money next time" is kinda tacky under the circumstances.

[/ QUOTE ]

I usually say "please don't go!" when they are a big fish.

To Howard: Everyone in town knows you already and you're a helluva cool guy to play cards with, win or lose. This helps a lot.
Old 08-20-2006, 07:33 AM

Sky City, Auckland where I play is weird - poker room opens at 7.00pm, and shuts down at 3am (tables start closing around 2.30)
I don't play often, but the few times I have, the same players are there from 7 - 3. Buy-ins are low, (1/2 nl is 60 Max, 2/5 nl is 200) and people will sit all night reloading. Fun times, but not a lot of goodbyes.

One annoying local - nitty woman....... real rules feind but otherwise quiet. Plays around one hand a fortnight, but reloads fanatically by carefully selecting the right size chip out of a small purse.

This annoys me for some reason. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 08-20-2006, 10:11 AM

Location: Here I am, brain the size of a planet and I can\'t beat the 2 cent O/8 game on UB. Depressing, isn\'t it?

[ QUOTE ]
One annoying local - nitty woman....... real rules feind but otherwise quiet. Plays around one hand a fortnight, but reloads fanatically by carefully selecting the right size chip out of a small purse.

[/ QUOTE ]

The nitty part, the quiet part, the tight part, the rebuying part or the fact that the purse isn't bigger?
Old 08-20-2006, 01:01 PM

It seems to me whether or not "goodbye"-type remarks are made when someone leaves the table depends in large part upon what the mood of the table has been up to that point. If that person has been involved in conversations with other players or if the table has been generally chatty, he'll probably receive some kind of parting remark. If no one has been talking at all, why start then?

It is nicer if some kind of perfuctory departing conversation takes place, but I'm not usually the one to initiate it unless I'm the poor sap who's departing or I personally knocked the guy out.
Old 08-20-2006, 04:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The nitty part, the quiet part, the tight part, the rebuying part or the fact that the purse isn't bigger?

[/ QUOTE ]

It is actually the purse - it is basically a tiny pouch, and covered in fake looking jewels. Just when I start to feel like a balla playing LIVE POKER!!!!!! she starts fishing in that purse for a single chip.
Old 08-20-2006, 07:44 PM

Hey, sorry you just lost $10k , bye!!!
Old 08-21-2006, 11:30 AM

I can't relate to this at all. If I leave and I have socialized with anyone at the table, I say good-bye, good luck, etc. to them when they leave (and they usually do the same)...
Old 08-21-2006, 11:54 AM

There are several reasons for this:

(1) People are concentrating on the next hand. Are unaware, unconcerned with your leaving

(2) People are concentrating on their winnings/losings, or distracted .....

(3) Gambling attracts alot of degenerates and selfish people. You are only as good as your money. Once your money is good, you are of no use...

(4) For those that will routinely say goodbye, they often are your "gambling friends". Or the social butterfly at the table...
Old 08-21-2006, 02:44 PM

If I'm in Seat 8 and have been bantering with Seats 7-10 all night then sure, we'll probably trade goodbyes when whoever leaves. I'm not going to say goodbye to someone if those would be the first words I ever said to him or her

When you began your session did you give the entire table a "hello"? (The part of the country you're in probably has a lot to do with whether you did.)
Old 08-21-2006, 02:52 PM

All,

I generally offer them a dollar for bus fare home.