Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2006, 06:28 PM

Default Re: Eyes Wide Shut.......What Does It All Mean???

I just asked my bf last week how good a guitarist Eddie Van Halen was and he said the best and I was like what do you mean 'the best' like really 'the best' in comparision to all the other greats? and he looked irritated with my question and said, "Well you know, he was like Picasso."
Old 08-13-2006, 06:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just asked my bf last week how good a guitarist Eddie Van Halen was and he said the best and I was like what do you mean 'the best' like really 'the best' in comparision to all the other greats? and he looked irritated with my question and said, "Well you know, he was like Picasso."

[/ QUOTE ]You hang on to that man. You have yourself a winner [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-13-2006, 06:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Take Eddie Van Halen's solos. Very complex, yet every one of them is out of context. Bad.

[/ QUOTE ]Say whaaaaa??????? I would have to rate this the most incorrect statement ever on 2+2 [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Eddie's solos are totally arbitrary. You could mix and match them and nobody would know the difference. This is why Halen will never be amongst the top eschelon of 6-stringers.

[/ QUOTE ]

I absolutely agree. Great music and technical competence are not synonymous. I have never once been "moved" by anything EVH ever played. Sure I have been impressed with the skill. But the greats (Hendrix et al) can evoke more than that.
Old 08-13-2006, 07:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This is why Halen will never be amongst the top eschelon of 6-stringers.

[/ QUOTE ]My god, he defined a whole new style of playing. Nobody was playing pieces like Spanish Fly or Cathedral before him. Even today, I bet there are very few guitar players that can play Spanish Fly with both the same speed and grace.

I don't think I have ever heard anyone bash Eddie before.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not bashing EVH, for Pete's sake! He is an incredible performer of that instrument. That is all.

My brother told me he saw a guy play Eruption and it sounded identical to EVH. I don't know about taht, but the guy said that EVH is "easy to play". Again, I doubt that, but still, Van Halen mastered about 1/5th of what being a great musician is all about.

By the way, ever hear of Yngwie Malmsteen? Neither has anybody else. There is a reason for that!
Old 08-13-2006, 08:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
By the way, ever hear of Yngwie Malmsteen? Neither has anybody else. There is a reason for that!

[/ QUOTE ]Now you are taking shots at Yngwie? lol. He is also an incredible player. I thought he was every bit as good as Vai and Satriani in the G3 video I rented. I also saw him in concert once and even fat and bloated he could do things on the guitar that no one else in the world can do or has ever been able to do.

[ QUOTE ]
But the greats (Hendrix et al) can evoke more than that

[/ QUOTE ]Hendrix is probably the most overrated guitar player of all times, with the possible expection of Eric Clapton. I think Hendrix was a brilliant song writer (one of my favorites) and a great performer but only a mediocre guitar player at best.
Old 08-13-2006, 08:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think Hendrix was a brilliant song writer (one of my favorites) and a great performer but only a mediocre guitar player at best.

[/ QUOTE ]

Brilliant song writer and great performer = great musician

Great guitar player but mediocre songwriter/performer = great guitar lessons teacher
Old 08-13-2006, 08:39 PM

[quoteBrilliant song writer and great performer = great musician

[/ QUOTE ]Yes. I would agree. But, it does not mean great guitar player, which is the question at hand [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
Great guitar player but mediocre songwriter/performer = great guitar lessons teacher

[/ QUOTE ]When did song writing or performing become a criteria for being a great guitarist?
Old 08-13-2006, 08:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[quoteBrilliant song writer and great performer = great musician

[/ QUOTE ]Yes. I would agree. But, it does not mean great guitar player, which is the question at hand [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]When did song writing or performing become a criteria for being a great guitarist?

[/ QUOTE ]

The issue at hand stemmed from this commentmade by prohornblower: "Complexity does not equal quality." My post is directly in line with the question at hand.
Old 08-13-2006, 10:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]Now you are taking shots at Yngwie? lol. He is also an incredible player. I thought he was every bit as good as Vai and Satriani in the G3 video I rented. I also saw him in concert once and even fat and bloated he could do things on the guitar that no one else in the world can do or has ever been able to do.

[ QUOTE ]
But the greats (Hendrix et al) can evoke more than that

[/ QUOTE ]Hendrix is probably the most overrated guitar player of all times, with the possible expection of Eric Clapton. I think Hendrix was a brilliant song writer (one of my favorites) and a great performer but only a mediocre guitar player at best.

[/ QUOTE ]

Utah, why did you quote two different people in your comment? I didn't say the comment about Hendrix.

But I do agree that Hendrix>Van Halen. And I think Hendrix is very over-rated. He still played much more contextually (?) than EVH. Van Halen was all about showing off. That's it. I can dig that, because it surely got him laid something fierce, but to compare him to guys like Clapton, Vaughan, and Page (top eschelon) would be silly.
Old 08-16-2006, 03:36 AM

Not to feed the hijack, but the score I liked. I'll say nothing more of music.

The first time I saw this movie my immediate thought afterwards was that I needed to see it again. The second time I found myself knowing I was intrigued, not sure if I knew what to make of it. I really like that was said about the dreams, and how a persons dreams are about themselves. Clearly the film goes out of its way to not spell everything out. And I would have to concur that there is only so much we can ever know about ourselves, and that beneath our awareness are impulses and emotions too complicated to decipher. Anyway, my two cents.

It is nice every now and then when you watch a film, like it, but still not know why. Thats how I feel about some Pynchon novels, particularly V. I've read it once, and upon finishing someone brought it up:

Her: Was it good?
Me: Great.
Her: What was it about?
Me: No clue.