Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2006, 03:23 PM

Default Unmanned aircraft...

The IDF shot down two Hizbullah UAVs on Sunday night.

One unmanned aerial vehicle was taken out over Israel, and the other was over Tyre.
Old 08-13-2006, 03:23 PM

Default Re: Countdown to a ceasefire???

The UN resolution, to no surprise, is a joke - there are no teeth for enforcement, no implementation of anything really worthwhile, no root issues addressed. Thanks mainly to the boneless wonders that inhabitant France. The ceasefire, whatever that really means, is worthless also. This war should continue. Hezbollah proper and all its sympathizers will not honor the agreement and do everything they can to sabotage and circumvent it, as will Syria and Iran. Can anyone say with a straight face and really believe it, that Hezbollah is going to disarm. In addition, the Lebanese government and army is a weak shell and will crumble under inside and outside pressure to allow Hezbollah to have their way in south Lebanon. Essentially nothing was accomplished, in fact, arguments can be made that matters are worse than before – at least for the long term.

I do not see the ceasefire holding long even if it does occur. Hopefully it will not but time will tell. If the war continues Israel has a chance to make some progress and clean out at least some of the zealots that invest Lebanon.

-Zeno
Old 08-13-2006, 03:47 PM

Default What about the abducted soldiers?

JERUSALEM, Aug 13, 2006 (AFP) - Israel will negotiate for the release of two soldiers whose capture by Hezbollah militants on July 12 sparked the offensive in Lebanon, Foreign Minister Tzipi Livni said Sunday.

It marked the first time that an Israeli official publicly said that the Jewish state would negotiate for the release of the pair. Previously it had demanded an unconditional release for the servicemen.

"The Israeli government does not intend to let go of the issue," Livni told reporters at a press conference in Jerusalem after the cabinet voted to approve a UN resolution on a cessation of hostilities in Lebanon.

"The prime minister will personally appoint a person who would take care of the issue," she said. "We will have to enter a process which means negotiations."
Old 08-13-2006, 04:00 PM

Default 75yr old lebanese woman takes on Israeli troops

ok, this was published in a Lebanese newspaper...

SOUTH LEBANON: Mariam Hussein Hamade, a 75-year-old southerner from Maroun al-Ras related with pride the resistance's "heroism" in confronting the Israeli forces in Maroun al-Ras and her own role in cooking for the militants. "I used to cook for Hizbullah militants and provide them with food without being noticed by anyone," Hamade said.

"There was a woman charged with carrying the food to a house, before one of the militants takes it to his colleagues," she added.

"With the help of Hajjeh Fatmeh, I cooked for them chicken, eggs and Hommos."

"On the first Israeli attack on Maroun al-Ras, my cousin came to me screaming: The Jews have arrested my dad," she said.

When I informed the militants of the incident, one of them sneaked near my cousin's house and found out the arrest was real."

Hamade added that the Israeli force came to her cousin's house via a Jeep, truck and a tank belonging to the UNIFIL followed by three Israeli tanks.

"Hizbullah militants ambushed the Israelis and destroyed two of the tanks," she said.

"I ran, along with some fellow citizens, bare foot trying to attack the Israeli soldiers who were running at a high speed," she added.

"The militants told us to draw back and remain at home ... we were hearing their voices without seeing anyone of them."

She said that she succeeded, along with a group of women, in "hitting and throwing out" an Israeli soldier who lost his way while his military troop was breaking into the area.

Hamade went on to say she was not afraid of losing her house nor was she worried about her son whom she did know anything about.

"He will be back holding victory," she said praising Hizbullah's leader Sayyed Hassan Nasrallah.
Old 08-13-2006, 04:07 PM

Default Re: *Official* Israel/Lebanon thread (politics)

Old 08-13-2006, 07:03 PM

Default Re: Impossible......Yeah Right.

1. The US didn't burn oil fields in WWII, they attacked equipment. The reason why the oil itself is invulnerable is because it is hundreds of feet beneath the surface. If you are talking about attacking refineries and shipping terminals, that is possible although still not wise.

2. Covered for me.

3. According to this guy the last time the CIA successfully brought down a government was 1963. They haven't had too good of a recent track record.

4. There was a reason that the Mullahs allowed the moderates to gain partial control: the populace looked up to the US and wanted change. All that changed during the Axis of Evil speech. Now, the average Iranian fears the US, giving the Mullahs a free hand to crush dissent. They didn't have the power to throw moderates off the ticket before then without risking a revolt.

5. To Zeno: I agree with you that the ceasefire doesn't solve the long term problems. The thing is, neither will war. Israel cannot miltarily defeat Hezbollah, so to be honest I would rather get to an uneasy status quo now than after ten thousand people have died. I think if they can get a ceasefire for even a couple months this episode will be chalked up as a victory for the UN and for international peace.
Old 08-13-2006, 07:10 PM

Ahhhh....I mistakenly thought he was referring to the Iran-Iraq war.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kuwaiti_oil_fires
Yes, Saddam burned the Kuwaiti oil fields and after several week the fires were put out. What Iron fails to see is that there are only 3 or 4 companies inthe WORLD that have the expertise and technology to quickly put out oil fires and I believe all of them are American companies (one might be British). Boots and Coots is one of these companies. Perhaps you have seen the John Wayne played the part of Red Adair in a movie about the founder of Boots and Coots.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Adair
http://www.bootsandcoots.com/

Because of US trade laws, companies like Boots and Coots are prohibited from doing business with Iran. If we bomb the Iranian Oil fields then the Iranians will struggle for months to control the fires. Meanwhile their govt will be starved of money. It will hurt them......a lot.
Old 08-13-2006, 07:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If we bomb the Iranian Oil fields then the Iranians will struggle for months to control the fires. Meanwhile their govt will be starved of money. It will hurt them......a lot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Edit... circumventing the profanity filter is a big no no... take a time out...
Old 08-13-2006, 07:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1. The US didn't burn oil fields in WWII, they attacked equipment. The reason why the oil itself is invulnerable is because it is hundreds of feet beneath the surface. If you are talking about attacking refineries and shipping terminals, that is possible although still not wise.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, I agree you can't burn the oil underground. I think the phrase I used was "burn them to the GROUND". Not underground. Destroying the equipment is key to stopping Irainian oil production and oil revenue. There are only a TINY few companies with the technology and expertise to put out oil fires and these companies are barred from doing busimess with Iran. Iran would a TOUGH time putting the fires out. Perhaps they would have to beg Bush43 to please allow them to hire Boots and Coots. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
4. There was a reason that the Mullahs allowed the moderates to gain partial control: the populace looked up to the US and wanted change. All that changed during the Axis of Evil speech. Now, the average Iranian fears the US, giving the Mullahs a free hand to crush dissent. They didn't have the power to throw moderates off the ticket before then without risking a revolt.

[/ QUOTE ]
You say the Mullahs "alowed" the moderates to gain power.
Does this not imply the Mullahs are the ones really in control?
Every Middle-eastern analyst I have listen too has said the Mullahs are the real power in Iran. You nonsense about the Iranians giving power to the Mullahs because of the "axis of evil" remark is not supported by any analyst that I have heard.
Please cite evidence, which I don't think you can.
Wishful thinking is clouding your reasoning.
Old 08-13-2006, 07:42 PM

I realize my reply may be banworthy, but posts like Felix's are worth getting riled up about. If someone advocated such preemptive bombing against Israel, they would be banned, the thread locked, and/or the forum removed for advocating such hate speech. I'm not saying that is right, but it is telling that advocating unprevoked widescale bombing of a sovereign nation is okay so long as the nation/people are not white or allied with America. It is this mindset--that America has the right to bomb whoever the hell they wantg for whatever reason it wants--that is one of the most dangerous ways of thinking and it is constantly promoted by blowhards from the right (and I am NOT on the left). I admit to being young and ignorant in my youth as well and equating love of America with hate of its enemies in such a blind manner. But if 2+2 is really worried about fomentinmg hate amongst youth, I think hate for non-Israeli countries should fall in that category. And there is no defense that these are surgical strikes being advocated, Felix is advocating destruction of a people's way of life, the basis of their economy, and the largest environmental disaster ever witnessed, and killing anybody who gets in the way. The equivalent would be advocating the burning of America's forests and farmlands.