Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2006, 11:09 AM

Default Re: Israeli Cabinet approves UN ceasefire plan

Well its hard to do a post-war analysis, while the war is still going on...

Everyone has agreed to stop fighting on Monday morning, whatever that means... meanwhile today is likely to be the day with the highest causulty counts...

...and the Israelis ferrying all those troops up to the Litani yesterday, makes it clear that they intend to fight their way back to the blue line during their pullout.

I'm still trying to figure out exactly what a cease fire means in this case...
Old 08-13-2006, 11:58 AM

Default Impossible......Yeah Right.

It is impossible to "burn the oil fields" to the ground using conventional airstrikes.
Impossible???? So the USA could burn the Romanian oil fields in 1944 but somehow the USA can't burn the Iranian oil fields to the ground today? So the USA could burn Dresden and Tokyo to the ground in 44/45, and yet burning Iranian oil fields is impossible?
Has something changed in the last 60 years?
Is oil no longer flammable?

Saddam tried that during the Gulf war and we repaired the fields,
Really, I don't recall that. Please post a link to support this.
I know the Iranians started attacking oil tankers in the Persian Gulf and the great Ronald "Magnus" Reagan retaliated by sinking 1/2 the Iranian navy in one day. Then, the Iranians wisely decided that attacking oil tankers was not a good idea...

And if you think an air strikes would bring down the Iranian govt, remember that the Moderates in Iran made their biggest gains before Iran joined the Axis of Evil.
The CIA topple the 1953 Iranian govt by hiring a few circus strongmen to incite a pro-Shah riot. The riot started an uncontrolled chain reaction and 4 days later the govt is overthrown. Cutting off the mullah's revenue will cripple their govt. No one knows whether the Mullahs could keep the govt from toppling. I would like to find out.

The response from the populace was to rally round the hardliners, leading to the election of the current hard line president.
You are showing your ignorance of the facts.
Iran does not have free elections. The previous "moderate" president and his allies were barred from running for president by Iran's religious councel. The Iranian's choice on election day was to choose between:
Hardliner#1 and
Hardliner#2

You need to open your eyes and leave the land of make believe.
You have chosen a dove position and you have deliberately ignored and shut your mind from any facts which contradicts your pre-chosen beliefs. That is not how free thinkers think.....
Old 08-13-2006, 12:07 PM

Default Lebanon: Military Power?

[ QUOTE ]
i think israel is finally realizing what we lebanese have known all along: everyone that comes into lebanon gets their butts kicked. bye israel. hope you enjoyed your visit. come back soon.

[/ QUOTE ]

When I think of tough independent military cultures Lebanese people don't even appear on the radar.
Lebanon is a puppet of Syria. Lebanese people have to ask Syrians for permission to deficate. Make sure you ask a Syrian permission to post further on 2+2. I realize that you are afraid of the Syrians but perhaps one day the Lebanese will grow a spine and have an independent govt.

Edit - Felix... lots of leeway, but this one is over the line... wouldn't mind seeing an apology for this one tommorrow...
Old 08-13-2006, 01:18 PM

Default Re: Reading Comprehension

[ QUOTE ]
BURNING the Persian Oil fields will be decisive.
Hezbollah's sugar daddies in Tehran will be broke and severely weakened. And hopefully, the Iranian moderates can overthrow the regime. This is the only way I can see Israel achieving a decisive victory.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, good plan. I'm sure that will definitely end terrorism.

Must be nice to live in "black and white" world where more bombs solves everything. Let us know when you return to planet earth.
Old 08-13-2006, 01:24 PM

Default Re: Lebanon: Military Power?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i think israel is finally realizing what we lebanese have known all along: everyone that comes into lebanon gets their butts kicked. bye israel. hope you enjoyed your visit. come back soon.

[/ QUOTE ]

When I think of tough independent military cultures Lebanese people don't even appear on the radar.
Lebanon is a puppet of Syria. Lebanese people have to ask Syrians for permission to deficate. Make sure you ask a Syrian permission to post further on 2+2. I realize that you are afraid of the Syrians but perhaps one day the Lebanese will grow a spine and have an independent govt.

[/ QUOTE ]

Disparage Lebanon's dependence on Syrian military assistance, yet no mention of US backing of Israeli military. Not surprising.
Old 08-13-2006, 01:28 PM

Default Re: Impossible......Yeah Right.

[ QUOTE ]
It is impossible to "burn the oil fields" to the ground using conventional airstrikes.
Impossible???? So the USA could burn the Romanian oil fields in 1944 but somehow the USA can't burn the Iranian oil fields to the ground today? So the USA could burn Dresden and Tokyo to the ground in 44/45, and yet burning Iranian oil fields is impossible?
Has something changed in the last 60 years?
Is oil no longer flammable?

[/ QUOTE ]

I love it. Let's launch a preemptive WWIII strike on par with Dresden and Tokyo. It's good to live in a country that values liberty and life, isn't it? The best part is that folks like you always scream and yell that liberals are trying to turn this country into the Soviet Union.

Seruously, you need to take a timeout and think about how ridiculous your positions are. Preemptive war across the globe isn't the fountain of peace, why is this so hard for you to see? And even if it did result in peace, is this the kind of peaceful world you advocate? One backed by the US annihilation of any perceived enemy or threat? This is your utopia?
Old 08-13-2006, 01:51 PM

Default Countdown to a ceasefire???

Israel and Hezbollah pounded targets with heavy missile barrages Sunday, looking to inflict maximum damage in the final hours before a cease-fire resolution was to go into effect.

Israel reported that more than 230 rockets hit its territory, including the port city of Haifa.

The Israel Defense Forces, meanwhile, launched what appeared to be one of the heaviest bombardments on southern Lebanon in the 33-day-old conflict, and struck targets in Beirut's southern suburbs.

"It's time to do all we can to destroy as much as we can of the infrastructure in the next 12 or 13 hours, and then we'll see what is next," former prime minister Ehud Barak told CNN.

Nouhad Mahmoud, Lebanese representative to the United Nations, countered, "I don't understand why we need this grand finale."

He questioned what Israel thinks it could achieve in a matter of hours "that they couldn't achieve in one month."

The two Hezbollah members of the Lebanese Cabinet said Saturday the militia wanted to keep its weapons south of the Litani River -- a zone the U.N. resolution calls for demilitarizing.

Yet the Cabinet unanimously approved the resolution. Hezbollah leader Hassan Nasrallah indicated that the two Hezbollah ministers voted for it in a spirit of national unity.

The Lebanese Cabinet planned to meet Sunday to discuss implementing the plan, but then postponed the meeting for up to two days.

A Lebanese government minister said the postponement came at the request of parliamentary speaker Nabih Berri, a key negotiator with Hezbollah, to give government officials more time to discuss the plan with Hezbollah.

Israel said it planned to abide by the resolution, which calls on Israel to halt "offensive" military actions.

"This is our full and unequivocal intention," said Isaac Herzog, Israeli Minister of Tourism and a member of the Cabinet, which Sunday approved U.N. Resolution 1701.

But Israeli officials also acknowledged it remains unclear what actions could be construed as "offensive."

"What if some trucks will come from Syria with new launchers and rockets? If we attack them, some might say it's not defensive," said Barak. "If we don't, it will end up with just another opportunity for Hezbollah to regroup."
Old 08-13-2006, 02:04 PM

Default Syria

Syria said on Sunday it supported Lebanon's acceptance of a UN resolution to end fighting there, but added that HEzbollah had the right to resist Israeli forces until they withdrew from south Lebanon.
Old 08-13-2006, 02:09 PM

Default Did someone say ceasefire???

Industry, Labor and Trade Minister Eli Yishai said "the agreement is with Lebanon and not with Hezbollah. I do not trust Hezbollah to abide by the resolution. It must be made clear to Hezbollah that if a single rock is hurled at Israel, we will have to turn the village from which it was hurled into a heap of rubble," he said.

---------------------------

Now we're talking.... Throw a rock and have your village turned to rubble...
Old 08-13-2006, 02:11 PM

Default Re: Impossible......Yeah Right.

[ QUOTE ]
Saddam tried that during the Gulf war and we repaired the fields,
Really, I don't recall that. Please post a link to support this.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think he's talking about this: