Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2006, 11:24 AM

Default China condemns Tiawan\'s bid for UN membership

China has condemned rival Taiwan's bid for United Nations membership, saying it would threaten peace in the region.

Taiwan launched its 14th annual bid on Friday with a call for the world body to pay more attention to East Asian security issues.

Chinese Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Jiang Yu said the rejection of Taiwan's 13 previous bids shows "there is only one China in the world and Taiwan, as part of China, is not qualified to join the United Nations."

"China strongly opposes it," Jiang said in a statement posted late Friday on the ministry's Web site.

Taiwan and China split amid civil war in 1949 and Beijing still considers the island to be part of its territory. It took over Taiwan's UN seat in 1971 and says the self-governing island of 23 million people has no right to conduct foreign relations or to join international organizations. In the past it has successfully pressured UN members to oppose Taiwan's bids.
Old 08-12-2006, 11:50 AM

Default Re: China condemns Tiawan\'s bid for UN membership

[ QUOTE ]
Chinese Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Jiang Yu said the rejection of Taiwan's 13 previous bids shows "The UN continues to be the tool of world's powers and is a farce."
Old 08-12-2006, 12:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The UN continues to be the tool of world's powers and is a farce.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you explain in what way you belive this to be the case?... and how the UN could better accomplish its mission?
Old 08-12-2006, 12:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The UN continues to be the tool of world's powers and is a farce.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you explain in what way you belive this to be the case?... and how the UN could better accomplish its mission?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well given that they havent admitted Taiwan, which is clearly a self-governing state which promotes freedom and human rights more than China, I think it is obvious where the UN stands on self-determination and human rights. They are all for them unless they upset one of the key players. They've looked the other way on Taiwan issue for decades to appease China. Its about politics not principles.
Old 08-12-2006, 12:31 PM

HL... so are you suggesting that the UN should admit Taiwan and declare it an independent state, and then China should have to militarily defeat Taiwan in order to reclaim land it considers part of China?... maybe thru a proxy force?
Old 08-12-2006, 12:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
HL... so are you suggesting that the UN should admit Taiwan and declare it an independent state, and then China should have to militarily defeat Taiwan in order to reclaim land it considers part of China?... maybe thru a proxy force?

[/ QUOTE ]

I am saying that Taiwan is an independent state today, with its own government, its own economy, its own military, regardless of what the UN considers it. To deny this reality is just catering to Chinese delusion.

Did you know... there are many Taiwanese military training/educating in the US. This is no secret, they are acknowledged. However, they can't wear their military uniforms so the US isn't seen as endorsing their independent statehood and thereby offending the Chinese. Silly games are fun to play.
Old 08-12-2006, 03:52 PM

I agree that Taiwan is an independent state, but there are far-reaching implications for admitting Taiwan into the UN which may make it a bad idea. Admitting Taiwan means China may go to war with Taiwan. If China goes to war with Taiwan, the allies of Taiwan go to war with China and their allies. The United States sells Taiwan arms and is also a close ally. Are you prepared to go fight a war against China in order for Taiwan to be accepted into the UN? It could potentially be a conflict bigger than all the wars ever fought throughout history COMBINED. Think about the possible consequences of such actions.
Old 08-12-2006, 05:49 PM

Everyone in Taiwan but the hardcore politically active-and that's a fair minority of the population-stopped caring about China's sabre rattling LONG ago.
Old 08-12-2006, 06:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree that Taiwan is an independent state, but there are far-reaching implications for admitting Taiwan into the UN which may make it a bad idea. Admitting Taiwan means China may go to war with Taiwan. If China goes to war with Taiwan, the allies of Taiwan go to war with China and their allies. The United States sells Taiwan arms and is also a close ally. Are you prepared to go fight a war against China in order for Taiwan to be accepted into the UN? It could potentially be a conflict bigger than all the wars ever fought throughout history COMBINED. Think about the possible consequences of such actions.

[/ QUOTE ]

The free and independent state of Taiwan is excluded from the UN. The monolithic state of China which would threaten WWIII if the UN acknowledged the reality of Taiwan's independence is a UN member of high standing. This situation says a lot about the UN. And we are back to a "tool of the world's large powers and a farce".
Old 08-12-2006, 10:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
China has condemned rival Taiwan's bid for United Nations membership, saying it would threaten peace in the region.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't stand my next door neighbor. He's applied for membership at my country club. I've warned the country club and my other neighbors that if his application is accepted, I will burn his house down.

Now, who is "threatening the peace" in the neighborhood?