Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2007, 02:01 PM

Default Re: NYC Raids

B/C that's the function of the media, to report. The Daily News shouldn't without addresses of poker clubs simply because the people playing in them feel they're morally not a crime.
Old 08-31-2007, 02:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
B/C that's the function of the media, to report. The Daily News shouldn't without addresses of poker clubs simply because the people playing in them feel they're morally not a crime.

[/ QUOTE ]

ugh.. because it actually is not a crime?
Old 08-31-2007, 02:04 PM

"In all honesty next to nothing posted on this or any other board will ever have any relevance to law enforcement. "

That is 100% false. Seriously, how the F*ck would you know what DOJ does or doesn't do. What about Friends of Family, think they read the forums and drop a dime at every opportunity ?

But, hey .... go ahead and post your name and what your income was last year from poker. I am sure the IRS could not care less what is posted.... or what someone who reads it does with the information. Post your favorite underground places to play and let them know you did so. Good luck.
Old 08-31-2007, 02:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've been involved dealing, running the floor, sharing profits, and playing in 3 different clubs that got busted while I was involved or right after I became uninvolved.

[/ QUOTE ]

Send me a PM telling me who you are, what clubs you operated and who you worked for so I can verify. I speak either directly to the existing operators or through their mouthpieces, your opinion flies counter to what I hear all the time so if you really were involved in the biz we should talk. Your the only one sharing this point of view.

[ QUOTE ]
We actually should be considered ENTITLED to said information because it may be relevant to us as far as going to play there.

[/ QUOTE ]

The only person entitled to disclosing information about a PRIVATE club is the club owners. They are responsible for the decisions that affect the safety of its members and employees.

[ QUOTE ]
OT for a second, your above post confuses me a bit. Are you actually claiming that people DIDN'T get arrested Tuesday night? This would be pretty difficult for the Daily News, NY's only readable newspaper, to get wrong/make up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct. Nobody was arrested, I checked yesterday.

[ QUOTE ]
Ban me if you wish.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you have a warped sense of reality if you think you could get banned for expressing an opinion, that would never happen. Lots of other reasons why bans occur (and they are all rather rare) but it would never happen for expressing an opinion when the opinion itself doesn't hurt the members of 2+2 or break any other rules.

PS: We could change the rules to state that discussion of illegal underground games is not allowed because its illegal, but that would be way to heavy handed - I think we found the middle ground with our policy, discussion is permitted with the exception of core details that could affect the safety of the club's members , staff and owners.
Old 08-31-2007, 02:45 PM

Regardless of how bizarre it is that you want to know where a random internet person worked, I'll give you the information if it makes you happy. For the record, one was busted, in which I was unfortunately fined and had legal headache .... one was basically told close, or else, and the third was in fairly decent legal shape until a during-the-game incident forced police to be called. All of this was in NJ. I've dealt in a couple of NY clubs, one of which was closed, one is still going a bit outside of the five boros for well over a year, knock on wood. With all due respect, we seem to be on different pages, as I don't think you're as involved as you let on. I'm quite certain you know a few places in the city and maybe Queens/Bklyn, not every spot in the tri state area.

As far as what information is doled out, every place I've ever been in as either a player or otherwise can't wait to over-advertise. I've done some of this advertising myself on forums such as this. Never becomes an issue. My principal spot went down in flames as a result of being far too prevalent in a small town, coupled with detectives noticing our venue while arresting teenagers in the area for vandalism.

If nobody was arrested, then the Daily News must be making things up, or printing information from sources without first doing things as simple as checking arrest info. I'm sure you're a knowledgeable guy, but for the time being would it be fair to say we should take the word of a major news publication over yours?

if you are willing to only ban people for disclosing what you consider private information, and allow posts like mine, that is fair, and I thank you for the opportunity to engage in an intelligent discussion.

As far as knowing or not knowing what police departments do, would it be fair to say that it's common sense that money is not spent on internet poker forums? Also, please explain to me how the IRS is going to investigate a sentence consisting of a name and number on an internet website. Honestly that might be one of the dumbest things I've ever read. Really reaching aren't you?
Old 08-31-2007, 04:08 PM

i played in the two of them and loved it. heard about the raids and looked it up on the net and it give me a link 2 this page.it looks a good site. i played in a small club near G/Zero but it got busted last year wat do we do now for our fix. A/C is a cu@t of a drive
Old 08-31-2007, 04:23 PM

I also played Straddle, albeit briefly, good place. I can understand the sentiment for these clubs, as most people can't continually go to AC/Foxwoods/TS etc, but there's not much you can do about. One would think rakefree home games would be more common, it would clearly be more profitable to have 6-7 people chip in for a table and supplies and then play with no legal concerns or house cut.
Old 08-31-2007, 04:25 PM

UPDATE:

I just spoke to the horses mouth for the past hour, he gave me a minute by minute accounting of what happened. There was some misinformation floating around so first things first - I'll correct the errors.

There were seven people arrested at one club, and 9 at the other. I cannot comment on who was arrested for obvious reasons.

Everyone is out of jail except one person who is waiting for a meeting with his parole officer.

To the best of his knowledge everyone was given 3 days of community service at night court. This is different from past situations, for example there are some employees who are going through the court system now released on bail who are facing a 6 month or longer sentence. He does not understand why the punishment was light this time, it was probably the decision of the judge who wanted to be more lenient. Generally the punishment can be much harsher.

There were only two clubs involved. I was told about a third club - this was untrue. Its not surprising that after a raid a lot of misinformation is passed around, sometimes intentional.

All remaining money was confiscated, which happens during all raids. Thats all I can discuss about this matter, if you were in the raid speak to management for further details - if your a member then you should know one of the managers personally.

I'll update with more info as I get free time.
Old 08-31-2007, 04:38 PM

Thank you for the updates, it is appreciated greatly. As it stands I will readily stipulate to the Daily News not being as accurate as I thought. No mention of the nine arrests at the 2nd venue.
Old 08-31-2007, 07:43 PM

One big error in the article. The day of the week (Tuesday) it allegedly occurred. Nice "court documents."