Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-2007, 02:07 PM

Default preflop play vs. different opponent types(ntlrn)

up to this point i have been using a pretty basic preflop strategy. i used the section in hoh2 as the framework for my play, which is mostly based on preflop equity versus random hands. this works very well against opponents that don't apply a lot of pressure postflop, because you can show down unimproved hands much more easily, and just grind them down with better play in small pots. its a different story against opponents that do put a lot of pressure on me, though, because while my hand range has a lot of showdown power to start, it doesn't neccessarily have as much flop power, which is what i really need against the more agro crowd. against these types of players i'd much rather have a marginal hand and a piece of the flop than an unimproved hand that's likely ahead, but won't win as many big pots. the same seems to apply to calling with atc on the button. it seems clear to use that strategy against less agressive opponents, but against more agressive opponents, you may not be able to show your hand down enough for it to be worth it.

i was just wondering if anyone had any tips or guidelines for adjusting preflop play versus high pressure opponents, and the changes in planning that carry over to the flop.
Old 07-04-2007, 02:13 PM

Default Re: preflop play vs. different opponent types(ntlrn)

[ QUOTE ]
up to this point i have been using a pretty basic preflop strategy. i used the section in hoh2 as the framework for my play, which is mostly based on preflop equity versus random hands. this works very well against opponents that don't apply a lot of pressure postflop, because you can show down unimproved hands much more easily, and just grind them down with better play in small pots. its a different story against opponents that do put a lot of pressure on me, though, because while my hand range has a lot of showdown power to start, it doesn't neccessarily have as much flop power, which is what i really need against the more agro crowd. against these types of players i'd much rather have a marginal hand and a piece of the flop than an unimproved hand that's likely ahead, but won't win as many big pots. the same seems to apply to calling with atc on the button. it seems clear to use that strategy against less agressive opponents, but against more agressive opponents, you may not be able to show your hand down enough for it to be worth it.

i was just wondering if anyone had any tips or guidelines for adjusting preflop play versus high pressure opponents, and the changes in planning that carry over to the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'd say u have to play position moreso against these aggros. If you have a very tight passive guy you can play more hands out of position because they will go to showdown cheaper and more often. Against an aggro playing out of position will be tougher and you will need to "hit" a flop to continue so I'd play uber-tight OOP.

Indy
Old 07-04-2007, 02:42 PM

Yea force the aggros to play big pots OOP. Come into pots when you are OOP with more 3-bets preflop, thus putting pressure on them and creating a big pot with (usually) premium hands. If they fold to much adjust your 3-bet range to account for those "longshot" suited connecting cards. Just make sure you don't commit yourself preflop with hands like this.
Old 07-04-2007, 02:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yea force the aggros to play big pots OOP. Come into pots when you are OOP with more 3-bets preflop, thus putting pressure on them and creating a big pot with (usually) premium hands. If they fold to much adjust your 3-bet range to account for those "longshot" suited connecting cards. Just make sure you don't commit yourself preflop with hands like this.

[/ QUOTE ]

exactly...adding this to my point, IF you must play OOP against an aggro do it for a big ass 3bet.