Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2006, 07:48 PM

Default Foxwoods WPT hand: Aces vs Jason Sagel

Jason Sagel is coming off a heater after finishing 2nd at the WPT in Niagara and we've been at the table for about 3hours now. He's played over 50% of his hands and has been for the most part controlling the table. I've been relatively tight so far but have happened to pick up hands when there were 3-6 limpers each time.

This time there are 6 limpers and I pick up Aces in the sb. I have about 24k and he's at 35k. I make it 1300 to go at 100/200. Honestly, I'm not even sure what's a good raise with Aces in a deepstacked tourney like this with this many limpers. If I make it 1000 I get 4 callers and I'm out of position. If I make it 2000 I get no callers. So I guess, 1300 happened to be close to right.

Sagel decides to finally call one of my raises and play a pot in position. I'm really not sure how to play this against him. He literally could have any two suited cards or any connectors but I figured there was a good shot he had a pair and was calling for implied odds.

The flop comes Q46cc. I lead out 2500 and he calls. I still have no clue where I'm at but I'd have to assume I'm winning still. He probably would've raised with a queen but he could have a lower pair, flush draw or a 6. Honestly, I thought he had a little something but was mostly just playing me and trying to get me off my hand. Still, I'm a little lost.

Turn is the 6. Probably one of the worst cards in the deck for me. What's your line from here on out?

(I'll build on the hand once I get some replies. The hand actually played out really weird.)
Old 11-23-2006, 07:50 PM

Default Re: Foxwoods WPT hand: Aces vs Jason Sagel

On turn I think for a moment and then check. You have no idea what is going on, and unfortunately you are OOP, so check and evaluate based on his action.

I am probably advocating a c/c turn and probably c/c river as well. Perhaps a bet on river, but you do not mention if he is capable of raising with air.
Old 11-23-2006, 07:51 PM

Do you have the Ac/where is Joe sitting?
Old 11-23-2006, 08:01 PM

i do think he is very capable of raising with air and i have seen him do it in the past.

No, I did not have the Ace of clubs.
Old 11-23-2006, 08:14 PM

Okay. I would say I definitely check on turn. I am not sure what a check behind would mean either, since the turn 6 is a bad card for you. I would probably call a 1/2 to 3/4 pot bet.

My live tourny play is very read dependent, I am not sure how well you judge your ability regarding this, but that would definitely factor into my decision.
Old 11-23-2006, 08:18 PM

okay. I assume he's not UTG or something but in LP?

Anyway, the standard line here with your read is probably c/c for now, reevaluate the river. I don't think a six is as bad as you do, though, and vs a guy like this I want to stack off here vs. an expanded range. So what I want to do is bet something like 4K, call the raise, c/c any river.
Old 11-23-2006, 08:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This time there are 6 limpers and I pick up Aces in the sb. I have about 24k and he's at 35k. I make it 1300 to go at 100/200. Honestly, I'm not even sure what's a good raise with Aces in a deepstacked tourney like this with this many limpers. If I make it 1000 I get 4 callers and I'm out of position. If I make it 2000 I get no callers. So I guess, 1300 happened to be close to right.

[/ QUOTE ]

I raise 3x the bb here +1x bb for each limper. That would be 1800. 1300 is pricing them in way too much.

[ QUOTE ]
Turn is the 6. Probably one of the worst cards in the deck for me. What's your line from here on out?

[/ QUOTE ]

Villain does not have a Q here very often. I feel Villain has a middle pair, 6, or a draw most of the time. One of those hands got there, the other 2 did not. I don't like checking here and giving a free card. You're letting the draw/middle pair spike a card for free, and you are really at the mercy of Villain. I hate check/calling OOP with a marginally good hand with a passion. However, theres problems that occur with betting certain amounts given how much you have behind you. You have ~20k left on the turn, with a pot that is now just under 9k.

Leading here should be around 5-7k, leaving you with 13-15k. This leaves you in a tough predicament if he raises you all-in. You're in that "iffy zone", where you can get away from it with the best or call down with the worst. If I bet here, which I probably would, I'm going to make it around 3k where I can comfortably lay it down if I feel I'm beat, or I'm going to be a much larger amount, around pot size, where I'm forced to call the all-in.
Old 11-23-2006, 09:17 PM

Why does everyone take a q out of his range? Why would he raise the flop with top pair? When it's pretty clear he's wa/wb on the flop.
Old 11-23-2006, 10:26 PM

So I decided to check the turn and at least attempt to keep the pot within a reasonable amount. He pauses for maybe 3seconds and bets 3k into the 8k pot now. I reluctantly call, thinking in my head I'm letting the flush draw get there and the one straight draw(57) but I really just want to get to the showdown vs him. I'm still not really sure if this was a mistake in not betting out the turn or even c/ring the turn. Maybe the c/r is the way to go.

But anyways, so we go to the river and I have about 17-18k with the pot at 14k now. The river hits and it's an offsuit 9. Completing nothing and now I'm either way ahead of way behind. I say to myself, I need to make some sort of blocker bet here, but it can't look that obvious because I'm pretty sure he will recognize the blocker bet and maybe make a move on it. Actually, there's a good shot he would. I decide 5k is a decent sized bet and fire out. If he shoves I automuck and don't think twice leaving me 12k to fight with.

I think I screwed up the turn but made up for it with a great river bet.
Old 11-23-2006, 10:43 PM

I think a blocker bet sucks really hard on this river, its so transparent, just check/call so he can bet again. "great river bet" yea right I think the river is the worst part of this hand.