FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: QB
Brees @PIT 3 50.00%
Brady vs. NYJ 3 50.00%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-05-2007, 10:39 PM

Default Re: Colts Pumping Artificial Noise into The Dome

[ QUOTE ]

Like I said, I don't think the idea of point-shaving in the NFL is impossible. But in the context of Pats-Colts, the idea that the refs would be favoring one side (for whatever reason) is pretty retarded. And if they were going to be favoring a team, they wouldn't be doing it with pass interference calls. Why would they jeopardize their goal with such obviously controversial fouls?

[/ QUOTE ]

the calls were fairly consistent with previous colts / pats games in terms of crappy PI calls. these were just a little worse.

also, the question of 'why would they be so dumb?' glosses over a few things. first, lots of people are so dumb, because they get in deep with the wrong people, or they have a gambling problem, or they figure even if it's risky, it's worth it. second, the fact that people are going to chalk it up to bad officiating, and the fact that the major sports media is never going to promulgate this type of speculation, shields them from risk.

we may as well agree to disagree, you just don't see it and i do. i just think it's pretty clear that fixing is far more common than people think in major sports. follow the money and it's obvious. look at how much is bet on these things each week vs. how much the average ref makes. how much square money was on the pats this week? the industry is hugely profitable and it's getting bigger.
Old 11-05-2007, 11:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
and anyway, the point of my post was that, even if it's relatively unlikely that the game is fixed, given the circumstances and the history of sports betting in this country, it's far from retarded.

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW I didn't even see the game, but I agree its possible. Super Bowl XL...<cough> <cough>

I'm still pissed nothing more was made out of that game. I remember ESPN.com did a pole on whether or not you thought the officiating was biased towards Pittsburgh. They then mapped the results based on location. The only area where the "No"s won out was Pennsylvania and West Virginia.
Old 11-05-2007, 11:24 PM

Location: this forum again I will ban you. If you send me an email or private message, I will ban you.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I hate both teams and the officials were gross yesterday. The announcers even brought up some stats at their ridiculous propensity to call offensive pass interference.

[/ QUOTE ]

good for them

the ratio of offensive PI vs defensive PI is grossly tilted in favor of extra defensive calls

[/ QUOTE ]

Well if they did call if "correctly" then other crews should call it the same. This crew and all other crews apparently have no consistency at all.
Old 11-05-2007, 11:25 PM

i think with the recent NBA ref betting incidents, obviously football is not immune, and possibly even more susceptible to the same kind of thing.

i'd like to believe the refs bet the colts with the points and the pats ML because they knew once they stopped rigging it, the pats would pull through.
Old 11-05-2007, 11:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
and anyway, the point of my post was that, even if it's relatively unlikely that the game is fixed, given the circumstances and the history of sports betting in this country, it's far from retarded.

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW I didn't even see the game, but I agree its possible. Super Bowl XL...<cough> <cough>

I'm still pissed nothing more was made out of that game. I remember ESPN.com did a pole on whether or not you thought the officiating was biased towards Pittsburgh. They then mapped the results based on location. The only area where the "No"s won out was Pennsylvania and West Virginia.

[/ QUOTE ]

Any Raiders fans want to jump in and bitch about the immaculate reception?
Old 11-05-2007, 11:29 PM

It wouldn't come from anyone other than a Pats fan, NT!, though.
Old 11-05-2007, 11:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It wouldn't come from anyone other than a Pats fan, NT!, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

you guys can believe me or not, i have thought the NFL was rigged for years now. SEA / PIT being a great example.
Old 11-05-2007, 11:41 PM

XL was a shame because those were two very evenly matched teams but all anyone ever talks about was the refs.

I'd like to see a rematch.
Old 11-05-2007, 11:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
XL was a shame because those were two very evenly matched teams but all anyone ever talks about was the refs.

I'd like to see a rematch.

[/ QUOTE ]
So would I. :/
Old 11-06-2007, 12:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, some people talk about Holmgren's terrible coaching.