Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2007, 02:05 PM

Default Estimating opponent calling/pushing ranges for ICM tools

Hi everyone. I have read the tutorial for the trial version of SNG power tools and understand how to implement a hand pretty well now. The thing is, i can't afford to purchase SNG power tools for the $79 or whatever it is, so i downloaded SNGEGT lite. So i downloaded it and have had a fiddle around with it and i should be alright using this as well.

The thing is, how would you go about estimating a calling range for an opponent? Say for instance i knew that the small blind and the big blind were tight players, and that i was considering pushing from the button with a hand, what calling range should i estimate for tight players?

On the other hand, if someone was pushing from the button, the small blind folded and i was in the big blind, and i estimated that the opponent who pushed was loose, how would i estimate a pushing range for this player?

Does anyone ever use 'default' values and not really adjust to whether they think an opponent is loose/tight pusher/caller? If so, what default value would you give?

Thanks a lot.
Old 10-08-2007, 02:29 PM

Default Re: Estimating opponent calling/pushing ranges for ICM tools

[ QUOTE ]
Hi everyone. I have read the tutorial for the trial version of SNG power tools and understand how to implement a hand pretty well now. The thing is, i can't afford to purchase SNG power tools for the $79 or whatever it is, so i downloaded SNGEGT lite. So i downloaded it and have had a fiddle around with it and i should be alright using this as well.

The thing is, how would you go about estimating a calling range for an opponent? Say for instance i knew that the small blind and the big blind were tight players, and that i was considering pushing from the button with a hand, what calling range should i estimate for tight players?

On the other hand, if someone was pushing from the button, the small blind folded and i was in the big blind, and i estimated that the opponent who pushed was loose, how would i estimate a pushing range for this player?

Does anyone ever use 'default' values and not really adjust to whether they think an opponent is loose/tight pusher/caller? If so, what default value would you give?

Thanks a lot.

[/ QUOTE ]

There should be default values for tight players, loose players, etc. in the program. Maybe not though.

Also, when you say you think someone is a tight player, why do you think that? Likely because they don't play many hands. In other words, they won't call a shove with many hands. It's hard to put people on uber-specific ranges in most push/fold situations, so just give it a try.

You know how you play, so maybe think about other people's ranges relative to yours. For example, say it's folded to you in the small blind and you're considering a shove. Think about what you'd call a shove with in the big blind's spot then add or subtract hands if you think he's loose or tight or whatever.

If you are currently playing $1 sngos, I wouldn't worry about ICM too much. The type of plays that ICM popularized are correct in large part due to the competition playing semi-well, that is, they won't call shoves with enormous ranges. That's not true at the $1.20s, and a lot of shoves you'll see being advocated on this forum in higher buyins would be absolute suicide in micros.
Old 10-08-2007, 02:36 PM

I can't set the default values because i need to purchase it to do that. Thanks for the advice, but just so i can practice a little, what ranges for calling/pushing for tight/loose players do you recommend.

And yeah i do play the $1.20 sngs.
Old 10-08-2007, 02:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I can't set the default values because i need to purchase it to do that. Thanks for the advice, but just so i can practice a little, what ranges for calling/pushing for tight/loose players do you recommend.

And yeah i do play the $1.20 sngs.

[/ QUOTE ]

It depends on the situation. If you shove the first hand of a tournament for 75 bbs, people aren't going to call with the same hands that they will if you're shoving 2 bbs at 300/600. I don't know how people play the the $1.20s, so I can't really help you. Watch your games and watch what people call with in certain situations. Use that to extrapolate ranges. Then think about why those calls are good or bad.

PS I'm not trying to be condescending (sorry if it came off like that), only attempting to explain the enormous difference between micro stakes and low stakes, with the gap growing even larger with mid and high.
Old 10-08-2007, 05:05 PM

I think SnG wizard has a trial period of thirty days. It also has a nifty little quiz feature. I play the 1.20s too, and ICM can be tough because the calling is pretty wide. Then again at a passive table you can steal a lot.