Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2006, 10:35 PM

Default is living in the USA overrated

im not going to limit this headline because of the growing concern of gambling laws and the patriot act, however it plays into this topic. We here about how wonderfull living in the states is etc. I would venture to say its good and probably very good compared to other smaller countries etc. However, we always hear about how great it is here and how wonderfull. Im not so sure that living here is better then for example the UK or Austrailia. There are lots of great places in this world. So i would like to hear where you live,your experiences, and do you think the USA is so wonderfull. I'm not putting this country down or even saying its bad. I am wondering if living here is so great as compared to what others have expereinced.
Old 09-13-2006, 10:42 PM

Default Re: is living in the USA overrated

Using a real broad stroke one could group countries based on desirability into three or so groups. In the most desirable group you have the rich nations of the world, including the US, Canada most of Europe etc. Within this group I'd say it becomes pretty subjective and personal in terms of picking a favorite.

I grew up in Sweden, lived there for 17 years of my life. As I came to the US as an exchange student I immediately felt more at home in the US than I did in Sweden. I didn't dislike it back there, far from it, but things just felt right in the States. So now I live here in America. Talking to friends and family back home they can't understand how I could choose to live here rather than there.

Swede
Old 09-13-2006, 10:43 PM

living pretty much everywhere is overrated. (especially the uk). there are tradeoffs no matter where you go, it all depends on your priorities.
Old 09-13-2006, 10:44 PM

Born down in a dead man's town
The first kick I took was when I hit the ground
You end up like a dog that's been beat too much
Til you spend half your life just covering up

Born in the USA
Born in the USA
Born in the USA
Born in the USA
Old 09-13-2006, 10:47 PM

WELL I"M PROUD |TO |BE AN AMERICAN
WHERE A|T LEAS|T| |I KNOW I"M FREE

in all seriousness, i think part of the reason we love living in the USA is that it's got a very particular ethos and character which is culturally and morally familiar to most americans. i would probably be more inclined to live abroad than most but i do love having my family and friends around. if my lady friend and i moved to another country though i could probably get into it, we do consider going somewhere tropical fairly often

NT
Old 09-13-2006, 10:48 PM

Best country in the world.

Some reasons:
a) climate, your choice
b) taxes, i think they are too high but the average european would be shocked at how little we pay.
c) education

There are tons more, those are the main three.
Old 09-13-2006, 10:50 PM

there are many other countries i would be as happy to live in if my friends and family also lived there
Old 09-13-2006, 10:51 PM

As a child growing up in the 50's and 60's heard a lot about how the US was the greatest nation on earth. At that point, it may well have been true. Europe, Great Britain and Japan were still recovering/rebuilding from WWII, and Canada and Australia had not reached the US level of industrialization.

Along the way. things changed. Would guess that any of the industrialized nations offer good opportunites and quality of life, and as Swede mentioned, it really comes down to personal preferences.

Always feel a bit embarrassed by Americans who seem to think we are the only worthwhile place on the planet.

And will have to admit, that as the American government has shown an increasing willingness to stomp all over personal liberties, I increasingly wish I lived somewhere else. Realize that Brits, Europeans, Canadians and Australians have their share of idiots in elected office, but the US seems to be "blessed" with a real bumper crop of 'em here lately.......
Old 09-13-2006, 10:56 PM

I think Swede123 summed this up pretty well.
Old 09-13-2006, 10:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As I came to the US as an exchange student I immediately felt more at home in the US than I did in Sweden.

[/ QUOTE ]

interesting. ive never heard anyone say that about moving to a foreign country.