Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2007, 11:46 PM

Default Cash game session barrier

I've had several days where I've put in close to 100 sng's 8 tabling no problem. I've had 24 hour MTT sessions without a problem. Yet I feel like 4 tabling cash and putting in 500 hands is long for me. I just started playing more and I can't put in more than 1000 hands in a session without getting bored to death. Anyone know why this could be/how to fix?
Old 09-12-2007, 12:15 AM

Default Re: Cash game session barrier

Ring or 6-max? Cause I can't even sit through 2 orbits of full ring anymore, it's like watching someone mow their lawn.
Old 09-12-2007, 12:16 AM

In MTT and sngs u have plenty of situations where binary s descisions are required (push or fold) depending on stack sizes and blind level , as you play those game more and more it s easy to put yourself in auto pilot mode and still make a lot of correct decisions ,in those game you are also playing verry tight in the first level (that reducing the number of hands played deepstack ).
A cashgame hand is just so more complex than a mtt or sng hand due to the dynamics of the game (lot more to consider).
So it s natural that you can t play as many hands in cash game as it is more mentally draining.
1 of the good thing in cash game vs turney is the fact that u can sit out at anytime and take a break ,i found out that taking a 10 min break every hours helped me a lot with my cash game sessions.U could also play 4 hours sessions with 3x10 min break then stop 2 hours and restart a new 4 hours session later.That has helped me being more focused during my cash game session.U have to found out what rythme works for you but breaks are verry important imo .Other than that the usual sleep well ,drink a lot, exersice ,switch off all distraction (msn tv etc..) ,have a clean and comfortable environement (desktop and surrounding) ,easy listening music etc... are all advices that can help u retain your focus for longer at the tables.
Hope that helped.
Gl at the tables.
Old 09-12-2007, 12:54 AM

Also in MTT or sng the reward comes instantly (final tables , reuslts ,ITM etc..) and there is certainly more adrealine rushes and stuff .In cash game it s a long term reward when trough variance and by being disciplined u have reach the target u were shooting for .
Think of it as mtt/sng being a 400 meters race and cash game a marathon.
Old 09-12-2007, 01:55 AM

Thanks for the replies.

I think the break is important as it's become a goal to try to put in 1k-2k hands when I do get the time to play and take a break every 500 hands. Appreciate the input.
Old 09-12-2007, 04:42 AM

I ran into this problem as I tried to play cash games. I was 2 tabling 6max and after working all day and playing for 2 hours I'd get bored, take a bad beat, take another bad beat, get coolered, then I was on instant tilt. After this I found that 2 hours straight was my absolute max for cash games. I eventually switched to sngs as my primary game since the game is constantly changing, where as cash games are almost always deep stack poker.
Old 09-12-2007, 07:43 AM

It's the opposite for me. I can play cash games for a pretty good length of time, but get bored playing tournaments. Definitely play 6-max. It can help to have a goal to shoot for too like "5 bb/100 or more over 10k hands"
Old 09-17-2007, 03:25 PM

stick to the donkament forms. I dunno why people are so obsessed with branching out. Personally, I think it's part of the reason the games are still good.