Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded

Old 04-12-2006, 04:42 PM

Default running in circles

from the video i posted

TAG opens on the button, i call with 86o. flop is QQ8 with 2 clubs and i have a club. i checkraise and he calls. the turn is a Tc. i check-call. river is a red 9. i bet
Old 04-12-2006, 04:49 PM

Default Re: running in circles

Really don't like the turn. You can bet for value against a lot of hands and a good player probably isn't going to lead into you with a club or some other sucker hand, he probably also won't try and semi you off the pot if you lead since there are now two hands you could have c/red the flop with that could easily come over the top for 3 bets and make his life hell. So I just lead and muck to a raise (without additional info).

Also, please resurrect the hosting on that video, I'd like to watch that.
Old 04-12-2006, 04:51 PM

I think I like it. I think the turn+river line will work to confuse him enough to call with a lot of hands that you beat, and keep him honest so you can fold to a river raise. If he checked through the turn the situation gets a lot trickier I think. What were you planning to do in that contigency?
Old 04-12-2006, 04:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
a good player probably isn't going to lead into you with a club or some other sucker hand, he probably also won't try and semi you off the pot if you lead since there are now two hands you could have c/red the flop with that could easily come over the top for 3 bets and make his life hell.

[/ QUOTE ]
If someone is going to be that afraid to bet the turn against me by this reasoning, I am going to be check-raising him on the flop all day with any piece and then taking my free card on the turn.
Old 04-12-2006, 04:54 PM

yeah i have no idea. turn and river might be very very wrong. i think the turn is a definite bet. maybe it's a check with no clubs, but i can safely call a raise here.

the river is a kind of blocking bet. there is not a whole lot of value in it but i like that option better than having to call his bet. and if he raises me here, then i'm pretty sure he's not bluffing
Old 04-12-2006, 04:55 PM

I really like the turn and river action to be honest. I don't quite see how he can't bet ax on the turn and even some kx hands.
Old 04-12-2006, 04:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I really like the turn and river action to be honest. I don't quite see how he can't bet ax on the turn and even some kx hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

without a club he should be checking
Old 04-12-2006, 04:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
yeah i have no idea. turn and river might be very very wrong. i think the turn is a definite bet. maybe it's a check with no clubs, but i can safely call a raise here.

the river is a kind of blocking bet. there is not a whole lot of value in it but i like that option better than having to call his bet. and if he raises me here, then i'm pretty sure he's not bluffing

[/ QUOTE ]

Josh, I would reverse my inclinations on the turn, more likely to bet without clubs and check with them. I really think he's going to try and take a stab with ace-high type hands often enough. Also I agree with you about the river "blocking bet" and that you won't get bluff raised, but I think those benefits go out the window if you bet the turn.
Old 04-12-2006, 05:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
a good player probably isn't going to lead into you with a club or some other sucker hand, he probably also won't try and semi you off the pot if you lead since there are now two hands you could have c/red the flop with that could easily come over the top for 3 bets and make his life hell.

[/ QUOTE ]
If someone is going to be that afraid to bet the turn against me by this reasoning, I am going to be check-raising him on the flop all day with any piece and then taking my free card on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's obviously only something that would work once or twice. Like, if I guy c/rs a flop with monster potential and then checks a kind of scary turn card are you going to bet with a flush draw to try and win unimproved? I would just never expect anyone to c/r and then c/f here, so I'd take the freebie and say "thanks".
Old 04-12-2006, 05:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also I agree with you about the river "blocking bet"

[/ QUOTE ]

What is a blocking bet?