Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2007, 04:03 PM

Default Re: 150/300 simple preflop

this game wasn't at the bike

donger: if i 3bet most the people behind me are gonna need something good to come in, they're all fairly tight. they know i'll iso him a little lighter than i would others but we are still playing omaha so it's not like i'm going to go insane getting it hu with 5688r and they aren't going to jump in with horrible crap just to play a pot against the weaker player.
Old 11-05-2007, 05:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I fold raise or call? i know this seems dumb

[/ QUOTE ]Hi How Many - I don't think it sounds dumb. Despite the ace-deuce and the suited ace (albeit with an extra card in the suit), I don't like this starting hand much. And I generally like raising myself much better than calling a raise. And I don't like my position.

I see the starting hand as mostly a fractional low pot hand, very vulnerable to counterfeiting and quartering. The pair of sevens really stinks and the extra club detracts from the scoop and high potential, which is not great to begin with.

Be nice to know more about possible motives of the pre-flop raiser and how likely he is to also have A2YZ. Be nice to know what the players behind me yet to act will do.

Could I get it heads-up against the pre-flop raiser by making it a triple bet? Be nice to know.

With all this unknown, it's hard to know what to do.

All the above written, I probably call, mainly for table image purposes, but I'm not convinced calling is a very good play.

Buzz
Old 11-05-2007, 05:31 PM

I always call.. cuz that's my fav hand.
Old 11-05-2007, 07:30 PM

yeah, I def don't like raising. Folding seems best, but I'm likely to just call. I would love to know how the people behind me play.
Old 11-05-2007, 07:37 PM

how does this guy play after the flop? isnt that much more important than what to do preflop?
Old 11-05-2007, 08:00 PM

Clear value call. 3 betting is dangerous as it diminishes the value of the fd (which would prefer multiway) and promotes the value of the pair (which isn't great, and might end up tempting.)

gl

bdd
Old 11-06-2007, 11:39 AM

"I see the starting hand as mostly a fractional low pot hand, very vulnerable to counterfeiting and quartering. The pair of sevens really stinks and the extra club detracts from the scoop and high potential, which is not great to begin with."

sound familiar sean?
Old 11-06-2007, 11:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"I see the starting hand as mostly a fractional low pot hand, very vulnerable to counterfeiting and quartering. The pair of sevens really stinks and the extra club detracts from the scoop and high potential, which is not great to begin with."

sound familiar sean?

[/ QUOTE ]

awesome
Old 11-06-2007, 03:33 PM

Please PM me where this game is.

PLZZZZZ
Old 11-06-2007, 09:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

sound familiar sean?

[/ QUOTE ]

mike I,

i'm interpreting this to be that you should be playing only nut hands preflop (4 working cards) in this game from what i'm assuming to be middle position.

our 3 options:

fold: for reasons given above. this is not one of my choices without knowing how tight this game is playing. since all we know is villain's raising range is playable and not iron-fist, i'll keep playing having position.

call: the cons of this is a good player sees you calling the worst player's raise and will call behind near the button. he'll then play perfect poker while you get whipsawwed. the pros is it's cheap, you flop big and let yourself get whippsawed.

raise: this largely depends on villains 4 betting tendencies. in a four bet max game, this sucks cuz you're getting capped playing HU most of the time,without the lead, and chopping for freaking 1.5 BB.

but i'm pretty sure you play out west where it's five bets max. so villain might slow down preflop cuz he's giving up the lead and he'll be OOP. so 3 bets preflop w/position gives you the opportunity to outplay him aka maximizing wins/ minimizing losses.

my point is, your hand isn't the nuts and it's got problems, but you still got options to work with and you should probably take a flop.