Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

Old 10-31-2007, 01:14 PM

Default Re: Fool me once...fool me twice....Kelvin Sampson

There's a rumor going around that he used speaker-phone, but they can't prove it.
Old 10-31-2007, 01:17 PM

Update: NCAA looking into Kelvin Sampson buying an unlimited text message plan. Story developing...
Old 10-31-2007, 01:22 PM

How would Indiana react if they confiscated his phone and found out Bobby Knight was in his Faves?
Old 11-06-2007, 06:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Speaking only for myself, I don't care at all. College players are paid, and the ones that aren't should be.

Okay, that's off topic. It's still true.

[/ QUOTE ]

not true...I've been around many athletes at a Big11Ten school...they were not paid

the benefits they received were hot chicks wanting to screw them and extra tutors that were available to all DIA sports
Old 11-06-2007, 06:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

not true...I've been around many athletes at a Big11Ten school...they were not paid

[/ QUOTE ]

This is definitely proof positive.
Old 11-06-2007, 06:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Let me get this straight, since I know exactly zero about college basketball......coaches get in trouble for making too many phone calls?

And a three-way telephone call is taboo?

I did not know that.

[/ QUOTE ]

it's to protect the recruits....otherwise, they'd get 8,000 phone calls per week---this is why they had to ban text messages as recruits were having $300+ phone bills

3-way calls were only taboo for Sampson at Indiana since he previously couldn't follow and had no desire to follow the telephone rules of the NCAA
Old 11-06-2007, 06:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is definitely proof positive.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah...I don't know how to prove it or whatever

It's just this is the most malicious lie in college sports

it's not like Blue Chips or The Program

Players aren't rolling around town in new bentleys, buying the latest sneakers, getting the best in clothing and whatnot like many seem to think

most were the most cash strapped people on campus that I knew
Old 11-06-2007, 07:01 PM

MT2R,

Again, I could care less if kids did have money for playing collegiate sports. They probably should be making money. But your attempt to show that college athletics aren't 100% corrupt was lol, that's all.
Old 11-06-2007, 07:03 PM

MT2R just bumped this thread without any new developments. His hate for IU is legendary.
Old 11-06-2007, 07:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
senderoff is out

but, I'm not sure even having a fall guy is going to get them out of trouble

it appears things might get much worse tomorrow
[ QUOTE ]

Does any of the following apply to KS? This is part of the lack of institutional control definition.

8. A head coach fails to create and maintain an atmosphere for compliance within the program the coach supervises or fails to monitor the activities of assistant coaches regarding compliance. A head coach has special obligation to establish a spirit of compliance among the entire team, including assistant coaches, other staff and student-athletes. The head coach must generally observe the activities of assistant coaches and staff to determine if they are acting in compliance with NCAA rules. Too often, when assistant coaches are involved in a web of serious violations, head coaches profess ignorance, saying that they were too busy to know what was occurring and that they trusted their assistants. Such a failure by head coaches to control their teams, alone or with the assistance of a staff member with compliance esponsibilities, is a lack of institutional control. This is not to imply that every violation by an assistant coach involves a lack of institutional control. If the head coach sets a proper tone of compliance and monitors the activities of all assistant coaches in the sport, the head coach cannot be charged with the secretive activities of an assistant bent on violating NCAA rules.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There is no way they will hit a school who self-reported and self-sanctioned within 6 months of a minor violation with lack of institutional control. That is beyond silly.

Indiana will not get lack of institutional control, Indiana will not get a post season ban. Indiana will get further recruiting sanctions, and maybe the loss of some scholarships.

[/ QUOTE ]

there are many reasons

1) it might not be a minor violation as it falls into a different evaluation when it's a violation of probation--somewhat analagous to the judicial system. I can tell you from experience that any violation of a probation is a major violation in that setting.

2) IU was supposed to have safeguards and monitoring in place...those failed. It was blind luck that anything came out at all. In addition, IU sat on the information and didn't release it for quite some time.

3) It appears to be willful disregardance of the rules. It wasn't an accident or something overlooked. It was a coaching staff actively doing the same things that got the head coach in hot water before.

4) The head of the NCAA infractions committee was very upset with Sampson at the first penalty hearings. He was upset Sampson got a cushy position at a top school and seemed to not take any of the rules seriously. He strongly suggested that Sampson honor the intent of the penalties and not try to skirt things again. Sampson basically thumbed his nose at the NCAA. The NCAA doesn't like it when anyone thumbs their noses at it.

---The only way IU doesn't get a postseason ban is if the NCAA still treats IU as a favored program