Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Puzzles and Other Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2006, 10:38 AM

Default Wheel of Time: Sign-Up Thread (Starts Sept 27)

The Wheel of Time

This is a new game that I'll be running starting Monday the 25th. It will likely take two full weeks to complete, so it should be wrapped up by October 6. I haven't finalized the roles yet, but this will definitely be a unique concept, I think.

The idea is this:

The game will follow the story from The Eye of the World, the first book of the Wheel of Time series of novels by Robert Jordan. If you've never read the book, you can still play. There will be a few minor spoilers, but nothing too major. All players in the game will be a character from the book. You'll know your character name, but I expect that everybody won't be bitches and do a mass role-claim. As the game goes on through the plot of the book, some player roles may change. Your powers at the start of the game will not necessarily be there at the end of the game. In addition to that, every character will have some special ability, at some point in the game. In some cases, it will be a one time power, in others it will be a permanent change in role, and in a few cases (such as seer), it will be a permanent role.

I'm looking for about 27 players. That is still up in the air a little bit, as I get the roles and balance issues settled down. I think that all initial powers will be public, I have not yet decided if I will release the full set of powers.

The game will have set timelines. Day will start in the morning, probably around 8. It will end at 9:30 PM, to give me time to do a write-up, and still get to bed at a reasonable hour.

If you have read the novels, and are willing to help me with game balance, send me a PM. I'm looking for one or two other people to have a look at what I have.

<u>Potential Roles</u>

Seer - Standard seer role that we know and love.

Darkfriends - Standard evils.

Evil Seer - A character that is looking for a certain good player or players. May communicate with the Darkfriends infrequently outside the thread. I haven't decided how often.

Vote Buyer - Both good and evil

Prostitute Type role - Similar to the standard prostitute role. Closer to MM3 than Turf Wars, since the prostitute will be a full on baddie.

Aes Sedai - Their votes count for double when they vote for a Darkfriend, but as nothing when they vote for a good role.

Warder - Attached to an Aes Sedai. Will die instead of their Aes Sedai if they are targetted for night death. They know each other's identities, and can talk outside the thread.

Wisdom - Similar to the Doctor role, provides some protection against night kills.

Masons - There will be lots of little groups of masons in this game. Most players will have a chance to talk to others outisde the thread at one point or another. The groups will change over time. I think this will be interesting.

Masonic Seer - Similar to the seer, but gets to see one person who a player is speaking to at night. Gets no information on whether the player are good or evil, just that they're talking.

Rand - This is the star of the novels, and a big part of the game.

Protectors - Players that help Rand defeat night kill attempts just by being alive.

The Power - Some players will have access to the Power. They'll gain spells as the game goes on, and will be able to use them, at night or during the day. This will be limited, somehow.

Old 09-13-2006, 10:42 AM

Default Re: Wheel of Time: Sign-Up Thread (Starts Sept 25)

This seems really confusing. I tend to get lost in confusing games where I don't know tha background (i.e. Belgariad). I'm gonna sit this one out. I'll help you with your Excel though.
Old 09-13-2006, 10:55 AM

so in
Old 09-13-2006, 11:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is funny to me.
Old 09-13-2006, 11:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is funny to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ha. I never noticed that.

I'll take that as an In?

Also - understanding of the novels isn't really required. It will only be colour for the write-ups, and give your character a name. It also affects the logic of how roles change, but you don't have to figure that out on your own.
Old 09-13-2006, 11:07 AM

in
Old 09-13-2006, 11:15 AM

Tentatively out. I will reconsider closer to game time.
Old 09-13-2006, 11:18 AM

in.
Old 09-13-2006, 12:17 PM

en fuego
Old 09-13-2006, 12:23 PM

Of course I am in.