Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

Old 12-01-2007, 03:38 PM

Default Re: Best NFL wide receivers

[ QUOTE ]

You think Moss/CJ/Harrison/TO take roids ? I don't think so. The only one you could even think about accusing is TO, and given how much of a work out maniac he is, he clearly doesn't need them. You could easily be that massive when you're working out 3 hours a day.

[/ QUOTE ]

This past May I sat down next to TO in the Philly airport and I was like "this dude looks familar" without realizing who it was until later.

He walked right in front of me getting on the plane and then he was in the 5th row and I was in the 8th. (He wasn't in 1st class LOL).

He is very slender and tall. No way would I guess he weighs 220 lb or whatever. Dudes on roids have a look about them which he didn't. I'd be very surprised if he did them...also steroids are very easy to test for with a long half life. I'm sure TO has been tested before.

Also, I think wide receivers fall into a category of sports where steroids won't help most. Your muscles lose flexibility and "feel".
Old 12-01-2007, 03:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, I think wide receivers fall into a category of sports where steroids won't help most. Your muscles lose flexibility and "feel".

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. Recievers need agility, speed, good hands and the ability to accelerate in and out of cuts. Steroids don't really help with that stuff.

Strength helps, but it's secondary.
Old 12-01-2007, 04:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. Recievers need agility, speed, good hands and the ability to accelerate in and out of cuts. Steroids don't really help with that stuff.

Strength helps, but it's secondary.

[/ QUOTE ]

What? Don't you know how strong David Boston is? His career exploded.
Old 12-01-2007, 05:52 PM

Moss and Owens have always been fine when there teams have been winning, Harrison/Rice didn't have to deal with losing so it is harder to comment on there character. Remember when Rice lost his consecutive catch streak in a game the Raiders won and he pouted?
I feel this should be stickied YOU CAN'T TELL IF SOMEONE TAKES STEROIDS BY LOOKING AT THEM.
Moss>>>>>> Hester, if Hester was a better athlete he would be doing more than returning kicks and being the 4th WR.
Old 12-01-2007, 06:01 PM

Two quick points obviously athletes today are better than athletes years ago. But you need to compare them to people they played against. If Lyle Overbay went back in time he'd crush Babe's Ruth's records but that doesn't mean he's a better baseball player historically. As well when comparing stats you need to consider that football is far more pass oriented now so receivers have inflated numbers.
Old 12-01-2007, 06:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Moss and Owens have always been fine when there teams have been winning, Harrison/Rice didn't have to deal with losing so it is harder to comment on there character. Remember when Rice lost his consecutive catch streak in a game the Raiders won and he pouted?
I feel this should be stickied YOU CAN'T TELL IF SOMEONE TAKES STEROIDS BY LOOKING AT THEM.
Moss>>>>>> Hester, if Hester was a better athlete he would be doing more than returning kicks and being the 4th WR.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, like that time Owens came off a Super Bowl losing team and demanded a new contract in training camp.
Old 12-01-2007, 06:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Harrison/Rice didn't have to deal with losing so it is harder to comment on there character.

[/ QUOTE ]

When Edge went down in 2001 the colts finished 6-10. This was exactly the kind of season that would cause Moss and TO to have a fit. Marv never said a word and finished with 109 catches for 1524 yards and 15 TDs.
Old 12-01-2007, 06:48 PM

I'm going with peak Moss as #1 WR of all time

of course, his peak (for various reasons) was much shorter than Rice, so the career of Rice >>>> career of Moss

without going too much into the chicken/egg debate, Rice spent most of his career playing with 2 historically great QB's, which helped his counting stats immensely.
Old 12-01-2007, 06:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. Recievers need agility, speed, good hands and the ability to accelerate in and out of cuts . Steroids don't really help with that stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

Old 12-01-2007, 07:00 PM

Straight line speed != the ability to make sharp cuts and run good routes != agility. But obviously they're all related.