Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2007, 03:50 PM

Default Re: assassin\'s Creed

[ QUOTE ]
FWIW, impressions beyond the first few hours might be more meaningful. Many of the reviews have said that the game seems incredible when you first start playing - until the repetition and lack of challenge/enemies/interest becomes apparent.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe playing in stages will help this. I have fairly high expectations for this, so you'll know if I get let down in any way.
Old 11-14-2007, 07:19 PM

Please say it's good....
Old 11-14-2007, 11:41 PM

ive wondered if gamespot gave them a 9 because they had an assassin's creed skin on the site for weeks, and hyped the hell out of it forever. Obv they got a lot of money from them and it might not be PC for them to give out a 7 middling rating. The review someone posted was enough to get me to back out for now.
Old 11-15-2007, 12:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
ive wondered if gamespot gave them a 9 because they had an assassin's creed skin on the site for weeks, and hyped the hell out of it forever. Obv they got a lot of money from them and it might not be PC for them to give out a 7 middling rating. The review someone posted was enough to get me to back out for now.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the gamespot review was definitely fudged. He makes the game seem beyond flawless. But now he's already backpedaling and covering himself in his most recent blog on the site:

[ QUOTE ]

I believe in Assassin's Creed. I had only seen bits and pieces of it prior to release, and I hadn't really been anticipating it in light of the other games out this month. I was surprised, and like any game, it has its flaws--but I think you miss the forest for the trees by dwelling on them. But as with any product you buy, know what you can, and how it will fit with your tastes. We think Assassin's Creed is a must-play game, and all I can do is hope that you are as immensely entertained as I was.

As it is, a lot of people take reviews very seriously. Obviously, so do I, or I wouldn't do this for a living. We all have strong feelings about the games we love, and the games we hate, and the games that disappoint us. Editorial journalists are in a very unique position, because people come to us to find out whether they should play a game, or see a movie, or read a book. I can't pretend to know you, or dictate taste to you. We've all loved games that got critically pounded, and hated games that got great reviews. I could talk for hours about Impossible Creatures, a game I adored, and no one else seemed to care about, or about games that everyone loves and I never was able to get into. But know when you read any review, on GS or elsewhere, that we believe in it and trust in it. We bring knowledge and experience and a sincere joy and love of games, and of writing about them

[/ QUOTE ]

"It may suck, but I really did think it was the best game evar, honest!! Leave me alone! It's my opinion and I'm sticking to it!!"
Old 11-15-2007, 12:18 AM

If nothing else, him saying he hadn't been anticipating it in light of other games coming out this month just smells of utter bull [censored] trying to reaffirm his objectiveness.
Old 11-15-2007, 07:14 AM

Just assassinated my 4th guy, I would say it's a bit repetitive, but I think the gameplay, multiple side quest and awesome storyline make up for it as well, they say the game is part of a trilogy which makes it feel epic.

And it looks fantastic on my 62'' HDTV.
Old 11-15-2007, 11:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point, but they did the same heavy advertising with Kane & Lynch and gave it a 6.0.
Old 11-15-2007, 12:42 PM

The Good:

Great graphics
Control is suprisingly smooth once you get used to it (about 1/2 hour I'd say)
Views are really good, can climb to almost anywhere and get great views of the cities
Lots of sidequests
Eagle sight is pretty cool
I like the way the story is told

The bad:

A little glitchy in parts
Repetitive, but really, what game isn't...
Fighting system leaves something to be desired
Lots of story in the beginning, too much
Hiding seems weird

The ugly:

Some glitches even in the cutscenes, that's unacceptable
Targets aren't varied enough

All in all I like the game, definitely worth a rental for most people. For those that liked Prince of Persia I think you'll like this game as well. I'm glad I bought it personally, but I've been jonesin really bad for a new 3rd person action game for a while. I hope they improve this a lot for the sequel.
Old 11-15-2007, 02:17 PM

did you get ps3 or 360?

impressions sound like the ps3 version has lots more performance problems.
Old 11-15-2007, 02:55 PM

I agree with Ace on most of the points:

Stuff I Like:
The "parkour" type free movement is really impressive. You can pretty much climb around on anything and your character looks very realistic while doing so.

The graphics are amazing

The fighting system is fairly basic (you pretty much just hold down the block button until you have an opening to hit the attack button). That being said, the fights LOOK awesome - so far I have been enjoying the fighting.

It's cool how when you help citizens you are rewarded with the groups of vigilantes, etc.

Some people have complained about the "plot twist" in the very beginning and how unnecessary it was but I actually think it's pretty original. Along those lines, how you reload a saved game is pretty cool... it's not just the old "start -> load" but rather implemented in a seamless and believable way. For lack of better term it's like a "reincarnation" except it's not the stupid clunky way that it was done in Bioshock.

Stuff I don't like:
Hiding from guards... you first have to break line of site and then literally hide in one of the specific hiding places scattered around the city. These are roof gardens, haystacks, and park benches. It is awkward that even though they can't see me they will continue to look for me until I jump into a pile of hay. I don't like that all of the roof gardens are exactly the same.

Gathering Intel - I've only done the first assassination but it seems you only gather intel by pickpocketing, thuggery, or eavesdropping. What I could not figure out is how Altair knows that THOSE guys, for instance, are the ones he should eavesdrop on among all the thousands of other people in the city. You climb to the top of some tower, do a little recon and suddenly a new objective appears.

It's a little hard to swallow how under every one of the towers is a conveniently placed haystack that you can swan dive into.

All in all it's not quite as good as I had hoped it would be but it's also not as bad as I had feared.