Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar

Old 11-29-2007, 04:06 AM

Default Horrible Time Pot Rule at Commerce

I was playing in a 20/40nl game and next pot was going to be a time/collection pot. The UTG player had racked up his chips and was going to play 1 more hand before his blind got to him at which point hed leave.

He folded his hand before the flop and I ended up winning the pot and paid time for the table. UTG then told the dealer he would like to get his time back because he wasnt going to play through the blinds and the dealer actually gave him $12 out of the money that I paid for the time pot.

This means that because he wanted to play 1 more hand before leaving he is actually allowed to muck his hand and make a $12 profit.

I was shocked and pointed out how unfair this rule is but regulars in the game, including Bobby Hoff, explained to me that this is the rule and that its completely fair. Their reason being that if UTG had won the pot he would have had to pay time for the table.

Whats even more shocking is that because Commerce has a lenient rule stating that a player doesnt have to pay time to play up to his blinds, this UTG player actually opted to be involved in the time pot because if he folds he makes a quick $12 profit.

Well thats insane. Does anyone here with a brain and some pull have the power to change this horrific rule?
Old 11-29-2007, 04:23 AM

Default Re: Horrible Time Pot Rule at Commerce

The rule is assanine. If he plays hands into the new dealer's down, no matter if its 1 or 10, he owes time. HTF does he get a refund/profit just because he plays 1 hand? This is stupid, but it's Commerce, I doubt they even care. They're the largest poker room in the world, one player getting mad and leaving will only be replaced by another unfortunately.
Old 11-29-2007, 04:59 AM

this whole way of raking the first pot of a dealer shift is stupid anyway, why dont they just take regular time charge with each player paying his due?

I cant see any benefit from this way of collecting rake and I am not sure if there is any.
Old 11-29-2007, 05:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
this whole way of raking the first pot of a dealer shift is stupid anyway, why dont they just take regular time charge with each player paying his due?

I cant see any benefit from this way of collecting rake and I am not sure if there is any.

[/ QUOTE ]

dealer doesn't have to make change and you get to play a few more hands. it also has minor effects on style of play.
Old 11-29-2007, 05:39 AM

It adds variance for nothing and seriously the change will take 30 seconds MAX.

I only played once with that structure (only like 2 hours so my sample is extremly small and it could be a coicidence I agree) but it seemed to slow the action on the first few hands as people would be (rightfully) less willing to get involved in a pot.

The only pot I saw being chop chop in that 2 hours session was the first one of a dealer shift, again nano sample, just an overall impression.
Old 11-29-2007, 12:53 PM

I think that's the theory behind it, that it's quicker in that the dealer doesn't have to go around the entire table making change. But in practice it doesn't save time. Many of the dealers are not sure if the pot is big enough to have been a collection pot and they are unsure about how many people were actually dealt in or who declared themselves out of collection. So if two people were walking, and one person declared himself out of collection, the winner of the collection pot, has to pay for six players, which requires making change, and then the dealer has to take collection from the three non-participating players, so she has to make change for them too. In practice it probably is slower than individual collection taking.
Old 11-29-2007, 12:43 PM

The pot is not raked on the dealer's first pot of the shift. It's done on the half hour which does not correspond to the pushes.

I'm in favor of doing away with collection pots as well. If it's a time collection game, I would have a player get a button when he first locks up the seat. He has to pay 1/2 the collection if the light is on or goes on while he has the seat locked up (or if he's already in the game) and with his half collection he gives up the button. Every player then pays when the light goes on and gets no hands unless he pays right then. Easy, no arguments; your first collection is 1/2, therafter everybody pays full amount at the same time, no exceptions.
Old 11-29-2007, 05:45 AM

I have been annoyed by the Commerce time pot procedures more than once. Somehow the Bellagio manages to pull it off without any problems whereas I've witnessed several major arguments resulting from Commerce time pot issues (including one I started... but that's another story).
Old 11-29-2007, 06:04 AM

Huh?

Shouldn't you be getting the $12 discount back?

??? [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 11-29-2007, 06:46 AM

I'm somewhat sure that if you don't want to play time pots you could just pay time on your own.