Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-29-2007, 12:04 PM

Default Abnormal Thread: dealing with winning beyond your expectation

I guess I would categorize myself as a marginally winning player. Prior to last weekend I was up about $1200 between Full Tilt and AP. I have around a 14% ROI in sit and gos (average $6 buyin) over 500 or so games at FTP and have had a few ~$1,000 scores in MTT at AP. Nothing spectactular. I have played maybe 20 small buyin (<$100) Vegas tournaments and am probably even or down a little. I've been playing poker almost every day for a couple of years, read all the books, and read/post on 2+2. I feel I am getting better but have a long way to go.

I decided to play in a $300 WSOP Circuit Event this week, and ended up taking 3rd for an $8800 payday. I did not feel like I was one of the better players in the tournament or at the final table. I had two well-timed suckouts (kqs > kk and 33 > 1010 obv) that allowed me to survive and place high.

When I got home, all I could think to tell my girlfriend is that I will never run like that again and that poker has peaked for me. I would like to think I could have another big score, but I really don't. I think it was a freak event that is not likely to repeat.

Winning should feel good, but this score makes me feel somewhat dirty, like I don't deserve it. Anyone had a similar experience?