5 0 0%
6 0 0%
7 0 0%
8 0 0%
9 0 0%
10 3 6.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-08-2007, 12:34 PM

Default Re: OT: High Stakes Fantasy Basketball -- Any Interest?

[ QUOTE ]
sportingnews has their own format where you select a team and have a certain amount of trades every week and everyone is allowed to own who ever they want as long as they can fir in the salary cap. starting cap is 50mill for 10 players and at the start of the season people are priced based on last years performance and after the season starts their value goes up/down based on how many people buy or sell them that day..

[/ QUOTE ]

In the league we're doing each player can only be owned by one team, and there are no salaries. We have an online draft to determine who goes where, and all undrafted players become free agrents whom you could decide to pick up if you dropped someone on your team. You can also trade with other teams, including 2 for 1 swaps or whatever you want.
We're using 9 statistical categories. If you are the best in a category, you earn 12 points (assuming 12 teams), 2nd best 11 points, and so on. At the end of the year the team with the most points wins.
I've played both and I think roto is more fun than salary cap because in salary cap the winning teams will have the same players too often and then you have less to root for (and also less pride in your GENIUS picks).
Old 10-09-2007, 09:44 AM

bb sucks
Old 10-09-2007, 10:12 PM

What is the final decision on the trades?

Veto system, fantasy forum evaluated trade approval?

If we were to use ESPN this is built in and the trade is evaled by ESPN. Granted ESPN is pay for play, and not everyone would be willing to pay for the team on top of the entry.

My main concern is if some guy is crushing/getting dogged, this might generate some type of veto bias.
Old 10-09-2007, 10:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For Payouts, since there's no playoffs anymore, let's go with this:

10-players:
1st - $7K
2nd - $3K

12-players:
1st - $7.5K
2nd - $3.5K
3rd - $1K

In both cases, last place also has to pay first place an addition $1K.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this final payout schedule?
Old 10-11-2007, 06:59 PM
 is offline

I really like using YAHOO since I've played a few years and never experienced any problems. So as far as the trade veto process, I am willing to hear suggestions, but having commissioner decisions has worked in the past. Maybe we can have a second person approving as well, where a concensus needs to be made?

As far as the payout, it's not final, but I haven't heard any complaints about it yet...what's your suggestion?
Old 10-11-2007, 08:59 PM

Well I am willing to play for winner take all.

I guess these payouts are fine though, I was just wondering if this was the final scale.

I am not against using Yahoo, I am just afraid of manipulation of trades, and that fact that there is no real review system for trades.

My only other question is the Game Max setting. Having No Max, is actually way less skillful than setting a Max and making people actually pace themselves and plan the season.
Old 10-12-2007, 01:59 PM

I think the payout scale Kramer has is good, it gives more teams something to play for at the end of the season.

As for trades, how about commissioner approval and there can't be more than a certain number of votes against the trade? Maybe like half the league?

I didn't notice the Game Max setting before, but I agree that setting a max is better. That way we don't have to play with our lineups every day and put in bench players just to get free games.

How do you guys feel about taking out turnovers and making it just 8 categories? I feel like the best and most productive players always have the most turnovers and therefore the best team rarely is at the top (has a 12) in turnovers. Also, counting turnovers kinda overrates players like Shane Battier. I think fantasy basketball is the most fun when the best players in real life are also the best in fantasy (or at least pretty close) and I think taking out turnovers helps.
Old 10-12-2007, 02:41 PM

hello friends.. I realize we already agreed on Roto over head 2 head.. I would prefer head to head cause a.) more teams will be interested throughout the season b.) it creates more excitement at the end of the year c.) we can pay 1st and 2nd and give something to team with most wins or whatever, so the 'best' team cant get totally screwed.. d.) we are gamblers and its the more tilt button-mashing form of BBall. Also there are interesting strategies when you only have to win 5/9 instead of being solid in everything.

plus checking your lineups every day is annoying i prefer football style of doing it once a week.

i like 9 categories also
Old 10-12-2007, 02:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]

As for trades, how about commissioner approval and there can't be more than a certain number of votes against the trade? Maybe like half the league?

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem with this is it will let opposition to the trade lobby other teams to oppose it too easily. I am just wary of a unevaluated trade system being run, I watched it screw up a high stakes football league pretty bad.

[ QUOTE ]
I didn't notice the Game Max setting before, but I agree that setting a max is better. That way we don't have to play with our lineups every day and put in bench players just to get free games.

[/ QUOTE ]

Most roto games I have ever been in make it 82 games x amount of players per team, if we have 10 player rosters then give you 820 games. It will make it more strategic, and prevent from people just going bezerker playing as many games as possible and just gambling that they run good.

[ QUOTE ]
How do you guys feel about taking out turnovers and making it just 8 categories?

[/ QUOTE ]

I am ok with it.

What about also changing the second C to a UTIL and adding a IR spot?

Having one good C is tough enough, asking everyone to carry a second C qualified player is going to cause most of the teams to carry a worthless stiff through the season.
Old 10-12-2007, 03:33 PM

my thoughts

-keep turnovers as a category. they are important IRL, and should count for fantasy. i'd rather get rid of the percentage categories than turnovers

- payouts look fine, 7k/3k/2k might be better for the 12 man, so third place makes a little money. i'm fine with either.

- def use yahoo to run the league..other sites I've used (sportsline, espn) are awful and hard to navigate

-prefer to use roto slightly, but head to head is fine with me