Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2007, 01:56 PM

Default Re: Outrageous Anti-Mormon bigotry against Romney

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't see why someone believing in Joseph Smith and the golden plates is so much more farfetched than believing in Moses and that God gave him the Ten Commandments,

[/ QUOTE ]

It might not be, but 86% of Americans believe the latter and not the former, while a tiny percentage believe both, smaller than the percentage who believe neither.

I don't think there is any way to plausibly deny that being Mormon will not hurt Romney. Now, I doubt it will be decisive, as obviously he has already achieved high elected office in the past.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with your assessment (not necessarily the specific percentage, as I don't know about that; but with the rest of your post).
Old 11-23-2007, 02:07 PM

I hope all these knuckleheads just keep beating each other up.
Old 11-23-2007, 02:35 PM

I am shocked, shocked to find that deceptive and dirty-handed campaigning is going on here!
Old 11-23-2007, 04:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Of course, if they believe in something that has evil real-world effects, rather than in something merely erroneous or frivolous, then that may become a different matter

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe this is the case with mormons. Having been raised in that religion, I can tell you their world-view is very apocalyptic. All the reasons why it is dangerous to have a born-again evangelical as president also apply to mormons.

Furthermore, they really do believe that TWO different groups of dark-skinned minorities (african blacks and native american indians) are dark-skinned because of a curse from god. This is generally a harmless superstition but on the other hand it makes you nervous about what someone who believes such a thing might be capable of justifying to themselves.

Furthermore, the mormons believe their males have a special and elite connection to god called the "priesthood". It is a kind of special blessing you get when you become a teenager and the best way to describe to a layman is that your prayers now have more authority and priority with god than other people. You even believe that those without the priesthood are less 'worthy'. "Worthy" is a very ubiquitous term used by mormons to delineate people. You are "Worthy" to attend the temple or you are "unworthy". (and part of being "worthy" is based on whether you give money to the church).

Generally, I agree that silly superstitions are all basically interchangeable. I won't say that a mormon believer is any more less intelligent or capable of critical thought than a jewish believer or a gaia-worshipping hippy, but I will say that the mormon's beliefs are more cause for concern.

Now, on the other hand I can say that I was raised mormon and my parents and their peers raised their kids to be unequivocally non-racist and to judge people on their character and actions above all else. However, I did get a lot of apocalyptic nonsense drilled into me and I wouldn't want anyone as president who really believed these are the "last days" (as they like to call it) and that there is an inevitable worldwide conflagration epicentered in the middle east that is about to occur.

I think it would be absolutely fair to question Romney about his take on some of these core mormon beliefs.

natedogg
Old 11-23-2007, 04:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am shocked, shocked to find that deceptive and dirty-handed campaigning is going on here!

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you expect from the usual suspects?
Old 11-23-2007, 04:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Of course, if they believe in something that has evil real-world effects, rather than in something merely erroneous or frivolous, then that may become a different matter

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe this is the case with mormons. Having been raised in that religion, I can tell you their world-view is very apocalyptic. All the reasons why it is dangerous to have a born-again evangelical as president also apply to mormons.

Furthermore, they really do believe that TWO different groups of dark-skinned minorities (african blacks and native american indians) are dark-skinned because of a curse from god. This is generally a harmless superstition but on the other hand it makes you nervous about what someone who believes such a thing might be capable of justifying to themselves.

Furthermore, the mormons believe their males have a special and elite connection to god called the "priesthood". It is a kind of special blessing you get when you become a teenager and the best way to describe to a layman is that your prayers now have more authority and priority with god than other people. You even believe that those without the priesthood are less 'worthy'. "Worthy" is a very ubiquitous term used by mormons to delineate people. You are "Worthy" to attend the temple or you are "unworthy". (and part of being "worthy" is based on whether you give money to the church).

Generally, I agree that silly superstitions are all basically interchangeable. I won't say that a mormon believer is any more less intelligent or capable of critical thought than a jewish believer or a gaia-worshipping hippy, but I will say that the mormon's beliefs are more cause for concern.

Now, on the other hand I can say that I was raised mormon and my parents and their peers raised their kids to be unequivocally non-racist and to judge people on their character and actions above all else. However, I did get a lot of apocalyptic nonsense drilled into me and I wouldn't want anyone as president who really believed these are the "last days" (as they like to call it) and that there is an inevitable worldwide conflagration epicentered in the middle east that is about to occur.

I think it would be absolutely fair to question Romney about his take on some of these core mormon beliefs.

natedogg

[/ QUOTE ]
I didn't know that much about Mormonism; thanks for the info.

Based on your description of Mormon beliefs, I think it would indeed be reasonable and appropriate to question Romney in more depth about his religious beliefs; and about what ways, if any, that his beliefs might impact his policy preferences.
Old 11-23-2007, 06:15 PM

natedogg, can you please explain whats up with the magic underwear?
Old 11-23-2007, 06:27 PM

Thanks for the info, I didn't know that much about Mormanism.

[ QUOTE ]
Furthermore, they really do believe that TWO different groups of dark-skinned minorities (african blacks and native american indians) are dark-skinned because of a curse from god.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do they feel that Asian's have been cursed by god for their cowardice?
Old 11-23-2007, 07:34 PM

John Kilduff,

Believing a holy baby dropped out of a virgin disqualifies you from being president in my eyes.

When did being "christian" become a pre-req for high office?
Old 11-23-2007, 07:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]

You might think only atheists can reason well, or that only atheists would make good candidates for President (do you think that? Just curious), but don't forget: the atheists could be wrong too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well of course. There's nothing reasonable or logical about atheism, it's just another religion. Only agnostics can reason well and would make a good president. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]