Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2007, 10:57 AM

Default Bad beat tilt versus dumb decision tilt

I've being trying to analyze when, why, how, etc. I tilt and have realized that I rarely do when I suffer a bad beat, but just go into self-hatred mode (exaggeration, but not that much) if I make a dumb decision that costs me a lot.

I haven't seen much discussion on the distinction between these two. Have others had this problem? When the overall goal is to make good decisions, not win pots per se, how do you shrug it off when you do knowingly make a stupid decision?
Old 11-13-2007, 11:02 AM

Default Re: Bad beat tilt versus dumb decision tilt

Just saw the other thread on this exact issue, so will keep an eye on that.
Old 11-13-2007, 02:36 PM

I know exatcly what you mean, 2 completley diferant forms of tilt. The bad beat titlt ( exploding) and the bad play tilt ( imploding) to very differant causes and reactions.

I find it very intersting as I have this same problem. When I go on exploding titlt after beats, I go looking to put those same beats on others, with 64s calling 3 bets, and it almost never works, but when it does theres asence of justice and you kool off.

imploding bad play tilt, is worse IMO, because you start to doubt yourself, when u get AI with AA pre VS 44 and he hits a 4, theres nothing you can do. BUT

when u raise AA get called FLOP hits- 246 rainbow u get C/R and call and shove his turn bet on a 246-7 and shows u 44, its like "wtf am I doing here" what could I possibly beat, if Icant fold AA on that board, when am I gunna toss it? and this feeling sucks huge.

My soloution is this, whatch some HSP season 1-2 where DN goes on major tilt and gives away over 500K calling 50k on river bets with mid pair mid kicker, or calling AI on the turn with a naked flush draw etc. this shows you that WORLD CLASS players make the mistakes you do, and tilt off houses,ferraris, college funds etc. ALSO you can read Brian ( Sbrugby) townsends msot recent blogs, where he states hes getting crushed at HU PLO and cant seem to putit together, seeing great players struggle with ur issues, will help you deal knowing, that games best keep thier laptops at the bottom of there swimming pools.

Also ur oppenants are reall people too, I forget this soemtimes, ( online of course) u see a wierd name an avatar and number of chips, its like a CPU in a videogame playing you, BUT these guys tilt off the same way you dom if not worse, so it happens to everyone. Hope this helped somewhat ?????
Old 11-13-2007, 05:13 PM

Thanks Mike, that was very useful. In short, need to have some way of having a reality check when things aren't going right (actually, when I'M not going right). Practically, those couple of points have given me some ideas of how I can 'cue' that reality check when the heat's on.

Thanks, appreciate it.
Old 11-13-2007, 07:13 PM

Jase, it is good that you go on tilt if you make a bad decision. On the other hand, it is bad if you go on tilt if you suffer a bad beat. I somehow managed to go on more suicidal tilt if I played a hand like an idiot. This way you will learn more from your mistakes and you won't make them again. Remember, you can control they way you play, but you can't control the cards. So, when you make a bad play, go on tilt. When you suffer a bad beat, slam the door and cool off.

I had both tilts, I had the second one today. And Mike's advice was very good.

You said that you tilt more if you make a bad decision than if you suffer a bad beat. This shows that you have the right approach to poker. Welcome to 2+2.
Old 11-14-2007, 10:40 PM

I do the same, and now view it as a good thing. I see it as part of my evolution as a poker player.

I used to tilt when I got sucked out on. Now I'm quite ok with it. Coming around to the 'correct is better' thinking I guess.

The hardest lesson I've had to learn is to control my ego at the poker table. This is what causes me to make most of my bad plays and therefore go on tilt. Either calling because 'this lagtard is not going to bluff me!' or raising because 'how can he not put me on a big hand the way I've played this'.

In hindsight, it all came down to my ego taking over and making the power play. These days I try to remind myself that

a) I'm not as good as I think I am.
b) even lags get big hands sometimes.

I've learned to think 'good bet' when someone makes a obvious positional play instead of 'F*** you, I'm coming over the top with 6-4!!!'...depending on the player, obv.