Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar

Old 09-08-2007, 11:58 PM

Default Re: Which poker city is the best?

Wait till you see the women there.
Old 09-09-2007, 03:52 AM

I spent some time in SF once. As soon as women find out you're straight, it's ZOMG city.
Old 09-09-2007, 04:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
A lot of people would find Vegas to be a slum. I was appaled when I drove around the north part of town. But SoCal has its rough spots too.

Perhaps anywhere there is a lot of gambling depresses the surroundings.
-Vegas
-AC
-SoCal
-Detroit

But there are some places where it doesn't

-East Chicago
-Southeast Connecticut.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gambling had nothing to do with Detroit's depression!!!!! I grew up there and live in Vegas now. Whoever thinks Vegas is slum has never been to Detroit, Baltimore, Philly, DC... although Vegas is pretty shady I certainly wouldn't label it "slum".
Old 09-09-2007, 07:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Live in Philly... great town, low cost of living ($1000 a month for a baller 1 bedroom but you can find very decent accommodations for less), close to NYC. Atlantic City is a 45 min drive away or an hour or so by bus or train. For full disclosure, I don't know [censored] about any other area.

[/ QUOTE ]

I second this solid advice. I do know a little about LA and can't get excited about living there. Philly is an hour away from AC by train. Also NYC is supposed to have a train going to AC by the end of this year (don't know the price of ticket though). Either of those options would get my vote. Vegas seems, from what I gather here, not a great place to live. Just because someone is used to dealing with ppl who have ulterior motives at the poker table doesn't mean they want to deal with it on a daily basis away from the table.

I personally thought it would be cool to live in Buffalo, NY and play at fallview, canada but this is all on hearsay, since I've never been to either.
Old 09-09-2007, 09:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Wait till you see the women there.

[/ QUOTE ]

SF is Butterface Central unless you like Asian chicks (I don't).

I don't think the poker scene around SF is all that great, there are only like 3 big rooms and you see all the same faces after a while. There is not a regular influx of new/easy prey like I imagine there would be in Vegas or even LA. I wouldn't advise moving to SF if you are intending to play goatloads of poker. Especially if you like games other than Holdem -- non-HE games are few and far between and interest seems to be waning. There are virtually no non-HE tournaments.

& the nightlife in SF is semi-OK but you see all the same people after a while and most of them just seem really caught up in their self-perceived roles in their "scene". Probably that sorta thing is worse in LA, just guessing. It helps if you are into Burning Man... lol.

& there is the whole South Park "Smug" episode about SF people. There's more than a little truth to that episode.

One other area I'd like to mention is Seattle. There are a bunch of little places to play poker just outside the city and from my limited experience it's a pretty soft lineup. Seattle is a bit cheaper than Cali, and it's actually a pretty nice place (not a wasteland in any sense). Has all the perks of any big US city, though not to the extent of the true megalopolii (sp?).
Old 09-19-2007, 02:24 AM

Wow, I didn't expect to get this much response to the question but thanks for all the input! Has anyone ever spent time in Memphis Tennessee, which has Tunica Mississippi 30 minutes away, or how about Shreveport Louisiana?
Old 09-19-2007, 04:33 AM

I can see Buffalo - you've got Seneca right there and Fallsview across the border plus a bunch of other rooms within a 3 hour drive (specially on the CND side). I've only been to fallsview though - tons of fish since what else are you gonna do after you spend 1-2 hours on the 1 block street and looking at the falls?.
Old 09-19-2007, 01:59 PM

I live near Shreveport....... Its a dirty place with very little game selection.

Been to Tunica a number of times. Good games (not much selection though) and Memphis is a fun place to spend a week or two. Not sure I would like living there though.
Old 09-19-2007, 02:05 PM

Dublin.
Poker/drink/gambling/stron euro/drink and easy to settle into.
Old 09-19-2007, 02:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Vegas? maybe
Miss? no
FLorida? hell no for the games
AC? hell no for the area (maybe 30-60 minutes away)

Go with a suburb of LA for the best game selection and most games available.

[/ QUOTE ]