Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2007, 06:25 AM

Default Some thoughts on nanostakes 6max... (tl;dr)

I've been poking around the Pokerstars "low limit" (that's .50/1-3/6) tables and I have found that once you hit 1/2, the FR tables seem to die off. In my continuing effort to adapt or die, I have decided to really attack 6max with everything I know about blind-stealing, iso-raising, hand reading, and pre- and post-flop play. This has led to some interesting realizations about what one can come to expect out of 6max limit games.

First off, I really need to get this out there for all the folks who think 6max is some crazy monolithic beast filled with maniacal LAGtards who routinely beat Hero's AA with Q2os. Obviously nothing could be further from the truth. 6max is still poker. AA still beats a good variety of starting hands a good percentage of the time. 3-5 other players per table playing 30-50 VPIP poker does not mean that Hero needs to be raising 5h7h UTG. Just because everyone else is jumping off the bridge at Brandon Ray's house doesn't mean you need to be going to that party, mister. Ok, that was a weird mixed metaphor but you get my point. 6max is not magic-land where anything can win. You need to be aggressive, but controlled. You need to know when to isolate the 90/25/0.2 retard who just made it two to go PF. You need to understand table texture and how the other players fit into the situation. Retard is to your right and you have AJos, easy-threesy right? Well how does your opinion change when you have a 70/0/0.1 calling station yet to act to your left? Does your plan change again when calling station is in the blinds? It should. Don't think that because you're playing 6max you need to play to some predetermined set of stats, yourself. Do what you need to on a per-table basis in order to survive. If it's an incredibly loose and passive table, tighten up and play more strong drawing hands. If it's a tight and aggressive table, make sure you are sharp on blind defense and isolation. Just because someone says that you should be playing 25/15/3 poker doesn't mean that you should have those stats on every table.

Again, this can't be said enough for poker, especially online, especially with all the pokertrackers and the PAHUDs and the whathaveyou that the crazy kids are using these days. You need to pay attention and note tendencies. Some of your opponents know what they are doing and will make plays at you. Who donks bottom pair on the flop? Who will pump their flush or OES draw? Who gets fancy with trips? Pokertracker doesn't track this so you need to.

The other side of the coin to this argument is that a great many of these people are awful poker players. They think that because it's 6max they can limp anything and get paid off for it. They only bet it when they have it after the flop. Note these folks too. Valuebet them to death if you think you have the better hand. Fold it if they are betting and you missed the flop after raising KJos from the button. Most of the time they aren't playing and their 38os crushed your KJos on an 8high flop in a microscopic pot. NH sir, see you next time. This can and will happen over and over and over. Runner runners, suckouts, they hurt horribly but they happen. Turn your focus to the long run. Be ready to play 300k hands of losing poker so long as you keep your focus and your game strong. Profit is glacial and if you make +EV decisions over the long run, you will see profit. Play good poker and the money will make itself.

A good majority of these guys don't know when they're beat and will call call call your valuebet with the worst of it only to spike something on the river. Again, you have to deal with it. This is what makes 6max so frustrating. Opponents are crazy loose and crazy passive, in fact, they're just all-around loco so you may have to eat it for a while while variance does its thing. This can also lead to some really nasty and necessary tilt control. If you're tilting or you can't take the variance, by all means take action. This also leads into something that too many of us forget. It's something that Mike Caro once said which bears repeating (and repeating and repeating) "Money that you don't lose buys much more than money that you do lose". Don't stick around at a bad table just to break even. There have been many times where I've been sandwiched between a Lagtard and a calling station and been whipsawed to death by variance because I couldn't play back at anyone. If your edge is neutralized by table layout, level of play, your own mindset, etc. Leave. No questions. There's no point in throwing good money after bad trying to get unstuck.

Summary:
-shorthanded games shouldn't be scary. Poker is poker.

-6max players are nuts. Adjust and be ready for variance.

-don't play to predetermined stats. Again, adjust your game to the table and the players. Iso-raising, hand-reading, blind defense, and postflop play are all required tools to profit at 6max.

-be ready to leave if your edge is negated by various factors.

-Progress is glacial. Play good poker and the money will make itself.

As always,
Good hunting and good luck.
Old 06-13-2007, 08:33 AM

Default Re: Some thoughts on nanostakes 6max... (tl;dr)

Have you read these?

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/favlin...amp;postmarker=

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/favlin...amp;postmarker=

Rereading Wookies comments on 6 max occassionally have been helpful to me.
Old 06-13-2007, 11:02 AM

I also enjoy this article by a noted poker authority.

It honestly changed my game.
Old 06-13-2007, 12:22 PM

I've read both posts, bona. Thank you for the link, KO. Currently I'm not running all that well at 6max and I'm trying to get my thoughts in line on the game. I figured I'd ramble a bit on the subject because I hadn't written a longish post in quite some time.
Old 06-13-2007, 12:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If it's an incredibly loose and passive table, tighten up and play more strong drawing hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

This statement is kind of an oxymoron. Anyway, at a juicy loose passive table, you should want to play more drawing hands, but that means you loosen up.

[ QUOTE ]
Be ready to play 300k hands of losing poker

[/ QUOTE ]

If you play this much losing poker, it's time for a new hobby. I would be thinking about that even before 30k, honestly.
Old 06-13-2007, 12:41 PM

The number of hands was hyperbole. All I'm trying to say is that you need to be prepared to lose to some stupid [censored] at 6max.
Old 06-13-2007, 12:48 PM

Respectfully, rinse and repeat sir, you are either frustrated from a bad downswing or from un addressed leaks.

In the case of the former, review of accurate information will verify your situation. If the latter it may reverse the trend.
Old 06-13-2007, 03:38 PM

Maybe it is because of hands like this?

PokerStars 0.50/1.00 Hold'em (3 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: He-Man is Button with 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">He-Man raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">He-Man caps</font>, SB calls.

Flop: (9 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">He-Man bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, He-Man calls.

Turn: (6.50 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, He-Man calls.

River: (8.50 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, He-Man calls.

Final Pot: 10.50 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
He-Man has 7c 7h (one pair, sevens).
SB has 3h As (one pair, aces).
Outcome: SB wins 10.50 BB. </font>
Old 06-13-2007, 03:51 PM

HeMan caps preflop because?

Heman leads flop because he missed the flop and there are
only 2 overcards up?

Heman calls the turn because he didn't believe the check raise and there are only 3 overcards up and he has 2 outs?

He man calls the river? Has He-man forgotten that he only has a small pair?

Please tell me you were SB!!! [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 06-13-2007, 03:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
HeMan caps preflop because?

[/ QUOTE ]

... because he's on the button and SB will resteal with a relatively wide range...

[ QUOTE ]
Heman leads flop because he missed the flop and there are
only 2 overcards up?

[/ QUOTE ]

... because he capped pf.

[ QUOTE ]
Heman calls the turn because he didn't believe the check raise and there are only 3 overcards up and he has 2 outs?

[/ QUOTE ]

... because vs. an aggressive opponent, that flop c/r is some draw often enough.

[ QUOTE ]
He man calls the river? Has He-man forgotten that he only has a small pair?

[/ QUOTE ]

... because the flush/gs-draw didn't get there and he has 3rd pr.

None of the both played his hand perfectly, but SB's play is a lot worse than Heros.