UTG+1: t3725
MP1: t7520
Hero: t1935
MP3: t1400
CO: t2165
Button: t4100
SB: t3795
BB: t2360

Pre-flop: (9 players) Hero is MP2 with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
3 folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to t300</font>, 4 folds, BB calls t200 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t450)</font>.

Flop: 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (t650, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">BB bets t300</font>, Hero folds.
Uncalled bets: t300 returned to BB.

Results:
Final pot: t650

Standard fold here? Villain's bet is less than 1/2 pot. How often is he holding an ace? I've got hand history on villain (36/10/1 over ~80 hands), but most of it's from some other tournament and I don't remember him, nor have we been sitting together long enough to have a solid read here.
Old 11-15-2007, 12:45 AM

Default Re: JJ facing < 1/2 pot donk on A high flop

This is a tough spot. PF, I would have made it 350 or 400 to go due to your stack size. Since he called in the BB getting more than 2-1 on his money, he could easily be semi-bluffing with two hearts. I think you can discount a big ace (AK or even AQ) as he would probably be coming over the top of you for all his chips after you PF raise. If he flopped two pair with something like A10, he may be checking this to you in hopes of you having a bigger ace and bet the flop. Problem here is you can't just flat call to see he his action on the turn since you don't have a big enough stack. All in all, laying this down is probably the best play. Although I can't get away from the feeling that his bet here is a semi bluff. I mean, wouldn't he want to protect his hand more (if he had an ace and thought he was ahead) due to the flush draw out there??
Old 11-15-2007, 12:55 AM

What villian SHOULD be doing with particular holdings has fairly little to do with what actually happens most times in 4/180s [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. Without a good read on villian you should probably assume Ax which he won't fold or a flush draw which he'll bluff again on the turn and likely not fold if you shove the flop.
I don't think many donks lead with air here very often, so I'd guess you're around 20-30% against his range. I think putting more chips in the pot on the flop commits you, so fold.
Old 11-15-2007, 12:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What villian SHOULD be doing with particular holdings has fairly little to do with what actually happens most times in 4/180s [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol, you're right, forgot to look at the buy in.
Old 11-15-2007, 04:15 AM

I think folding here is fine. No need to try to be a hero and make a huge call on the turn or river. He probably has an ace.
Old 11-15-2007, 05:29 AM

He's got A-rag.....putting more money in commits you.....he's not folding if you push.....just fold and mutter some choice words.....